News   Apr 19, 2024
 374     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 691     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 742     1 

RIP Boeing Administration Building - Malton (Mississauga)

B

BogtrotterII

Re: RIP Boeing Administration Building - Malton (Mississauga

LOL. Amazing achievement though for a small country to have the most advanced interceptor of its day in the 50's. Ultimately this knowledge was probablt just sucked into the US and UK military machine.

The bottom line is does Canada really need to be developing cutting edge military hardware? I guess the answer is obvious.

I grew up about five minutes from this building in Malton and I'm sad (but not surprised) to see it go. Malton has very little history left. Even it's "four corners" of Airport Road & Derry Road were ripped up in favour of a giant suburban intersection in the mid-80s. If it weren't for the astounding and vital East Indian community, Malton would have nothing unique about it anymore and would be yet another placeless part of the 'sauga.

Cooksville is unrecognizable anymore, unfortunately. It looks like a major intersection in Scarborough, or Queen and Kennedy in Brampton. On the other hand, Port Credit and Streetsville, are quite nice and still have an identity.

Getting back closer to the topic, wasn't the International Centre once an aircraft plant before it closed?

Getting back closer to the topic, wasn't the International Centre once an aircraft plant before it closed?
I didn't know that, but it's quite possible. It never seemed well designed as a convention centre and it's grown over the years by having buildings attached (almost ad-hoc) to the main building.

The parking lot of the "International Centre" used to feature the flags from every country in the world. It was probably the only interesting feature about the place (save the train tracks that would cut through the indoor public walkway). Of course, the flags were taken down at least 10 years ago.

While were on the topic of Malton, if anyone is feeling like a north-eastern Mississauga adventure...

If you go into the fileds directly behind the Sikh temple on Airport Road (which used to be my public school by the way), you can find the foundations of the two original Malton Public School buildings. One is from the early early 1900s, while the other one I think is from the mid-1920's. They are near the creek and are pretty easy to find. It's also documented in a book that you can find at the Toronto Reference Library called "Malton Memories." The current Sikh temple has expanded on the 1952 Malton Public School building which closed in 1981 (when I was in Grade 2). I cried for weeks. :\

By the way, Malton's most famous current export is none-other than Much's George Strumbolopolous (sp?) who often sports a Malton hockey jersey while throwing to the next video.

And that's the most nostalgic I'll ever get on here about the 905. Never again!

Yes, the International Centre used to be the plant for one of the divisions of Avro. I believe the engine division, and I think there is info under one of the links posted so far on this thread.

After all, the concert facility at the International Centre is named "Arrow Hall".

From the International Centre website:

"The International Centre is closely linked to Canada’s aviation history. In the 1950’s, the building was the site for the production of the Lancaster Bomber and the Iroquois jet engine used in the short-lived Avro Arrow and the Avro Jetliner. In 1971, the property was purchased from DeHavilland by a group of private investors who had no clear idea at the time, what to do with the property. A chance conversation led to the development for its present use as a major multi-purpose facility."

Lost architecture aside, it is amazing to see how the Arrow is treated so religiously in this country. I have to laugh when I hear how an aircraft designed in the early 1950's would be a leading-edge aircraft in the 21st century-able to fly rings around whatever else was in the air. It is just not true.

The machine was never fully tested. It was never fitted with its intended engines. Its weapons system was incomplete and rocket-reliant. And it was designed solely as an interceptor and not as a multi-role aircraft. The F-4 Phantom was a far superior aircraft because it was as fast as the Arrow was intended to be, durable, able to perform well at high altitude as well as low level, and could land on aircraft carriers as well. A significant number of RCAF pilots even wanted F-4's over F-18's!

I'm not slagging the Arrow, Avro, and certainly not the engineers and technicians who worked on the project, but let's be a little more critical about this aircraft. There were more than a few NRC engineers who did not buy what Avro stated as the performance capabilities of the Arrow. As for the American's forcing the Arrow out of production, the fact of the matter was that they were mildy ALARMED that production would not take place. They were concerned that the RCAF would not have an aircraft capable of meeting the (overblown) threat of Soviet supersonic bombers. The American's had recently cancelled the F-108, and aircraft with capapbilities not unlike the Arrow. Instead, they were looking to pursue multi-role aircraft.

At the time of the Arrow, Avro was the third largest industrial company in Canada. The Arrow was financed by the Canadian taxpayer-with very little risk to Avro ($400 million in 1950's dollars). The intended cost per unit was originally to be $1.5 million. At production, the estimated cost ranged to over $12.5 to $14 million per unit. Production costs were out of control. Because of these high costs, the even the RCAF intended to cut its order. The Americans, the French and the British all had their own indigenous aircraft manufacturing and were not interested in buying expensive foreign made aircraft. With the arrival of the ICBM, the days were numbered for high altitude interceptor aircraft designed to shoot down bombers.

It was a nice aircraft, but it was not the lost national treasure or the greatest thing since sliced bread. It resulted in a bad situation wherein over 12,000 people lost their jobs on a flawed gamble during the Cold War - an era littered with flawed gambled and bad choices. By the way, Diefenbaker did cancel the project after his election. Louis St-Laurent would have cancelled the Arrow as well, but did not do so because it would have been an unpopular move right before the election that put Diefenbaker into power. One way or another, the Arrow was broken.

:no:

I drove by the site yesterday there is nothing left. Everything has been destroyed. They should have left the administration builing and a hangar fascade at least ...

avro1.jpg

http://www.interlog.com/~urbanism/avrodemo.html

A terrible sharme, in a way, as there is little heritage in Malton, and little industrial heritage period. The Boeing plant used to be A.V. Roe, the home of the Avro Arrow, amongst other aircraft. (The AVRO lettering was visible for a short period in the late 1990s when repainting was going on).

There's tons of modern architecture in this city that is underappreciated now, but will be hot stuff one day. I find it interesting that designs by Architects Alliance gaining notoriety while buildings like the one above are being demolished. I think a change in thinking is starting though, when you see Uno Prii's buildings being added to heritage lists.

Was the building actually in Toronto?

As the thread title suggests, no, it was in Mississauga. But arbitarty borders mean little and it was certainly an important Toronto building, predating the creation of Mississauga.

Boo! That looks like it definitely should have been saved.

I sit on the Heritage Mississauga Committee so I can clearify what actually happend with the site:

The city had asked the Airport Authority to save the buildings, who in turn said no, but agreed to keep the facade of the building that use to have the words Avro on it. The Airport Authority plans to redevelop the site for other operation uses.

The city will be working with the federal government to create an Avro park to commerate the aircraft. A model of the plane used for the CBC mini series has been secured and is in storage.

Louroz

Not much of a consolation in my opinion..
Why not just keep the building the way it is and renovate/restore it.

We will regret all the destruction-regardless of where the building is: mississauga, etobicoke, toronto..we will have nothing left to pass on to the future generations, except some hollowed out facades-which do nothing for anyone.

It just shows that the cities/municipalities have very little say and that builders and other such org.'s will always get their way-

p5

What a bloody waste, i feel somehow guilty though, i mean i wish i did more.

Back