Toronto RioCan Hall | 145.2m | 42s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Okay, so that's not theatre related. I believe that's the Food Hall area, and those fire escape stairs will rise to the surface.

So to move this back to RioCan Hall then, we still have to hope that Cineplex (or a competitor) wants to be in these downtown redevelopments. That's not a given yet. RioCan is simply allowing space if an exhibitor wants to come back to the area or set up; construction would eliminate cinemas here for 4 years once it gets going in a few years time. If Cineplex does go with The Well, (as a VIP-only theatre or not) maybe those would open around the time that Scotiabank closes, providing for some TIFF breathing room in the area, but TIFF (and HotDocs) will likely have to seek out screens at Yonge Dundas and/or the Varsity in the meantime. At RioCan Hall, it's the locals who responded to RioCan "What do you want to see here" queries and told them that they still want cinemas there. Here's hoping that happens.

Okay, so that's not theatre related. I believe that's the Food Hall area, and those fire escape stairs will rise to the surface.

So to move this back to RioCan Hall then, we still have to hope that Cineplex (or a competitor) wants to be in these downtown redevelopments. That's not a given yet. RioCan is simply allowing space if an exhibitor wants to come back to the area or set up; construction would eliminate cinemas here for 4 years once it gets going in a few years time. If Cineplex does go with The Well, (as a VIP-only theatre or not) maybe those would open around the time that Scotiabank closes, providing for some TIFF breathing room in the area, but TIFF (and HotDocs) will likely have to seek out screens at Yonge Dundas and/or the Varsity in the meantime. At RioCan Hall, it's the locals who responded to RioCan "What do you want to see here" queries and told them that they still want cinemas there. Here's hoping that happens.

Correct.

Cinemas have to be a part of this redevelopment - no question. I didn't have a chance to attend the presentation of RioCan/HPA's concepts, but I am not overly enthusiastic about it. There are a lot of components being woven in here from King St. to the Well etc., which could have potential, but in the end it feels like a trumped up condo development. We are not making spaces that integrate well, or create moments in the city - instead all of these developments are like a series of islands.
Given how much TIFF and Hotdocs rely on Scotiabank Theatre and how central it is to the core, I think it only logical for the cinemas to remain a component of any future development.

But, as described and illustrated a number of times in this thread, cinemas are a component of this future development. I'm not sure at which windmills you're tilting here?

A couple more from last night:

Interesting to see how the design is in response to the Queen Street Heritage District. People tend to think that imposing constraints stifle creativity. I think it’s the opposite but maybe it’s the engineer in me.

So I think we now know what will happen to heritage facades in the future - they are re-facadectomized. Not so sure about using it as the entrance for the theatre, especially given the plaza to be off Richmond Street. Swap the office and theatre entrance perhaps?

AoD

Last edited by a moderator:
That seems to be a tiny lobby for access to the grocery store and cinemas. A single set of double doors off John Street and a tiny cramped area for ticket kiosks is hardly the entry Cineplex would be looking for. That will be a very crowded area with lingering theatre goers right in front of the escalators. It needs more breathing space and a better street presence.

I still miss Chapters, the nooks, people just reading everywhere, waiting for movies or just chilling. Nice seeing Indigo being included in current retail at Square One. Would love to see something as sprawling and as inviting as it was. It would be interesting to see Adelaide emerge as a pedestrian attraction of some sort.

I still miss Chapters, the nooks, people just reading everywhere, waiting for movies or just chilling. Nice seeing Indigo being included in current retail at Square One. Would love to see something as sprawling and as inviting as it was. It would be interesting to see Adelaide emerge as a pedestrian attraction of some sort.
That dynamic still exists at Yonge&Eglinton thankfully.

That seems to be a tiny lobby for access to the grocery store and cinemas. A single set of double doors off John Street and a tiny cramped area for ticket kiosks is hardly the entry Cineplex would be looking for. That will be a very crowded area with lingering theatre goers right in front of the escalators. It needs more breathing space and a better street presence.

That tells you how much of a downgrade this will be for the movie theatre. We don’t know the number of seats yet but if the entrance is a single set of doors, it doesn’t sound like they’re expecting the kind of crowds they’re getting at the existing theatre. I really hope they make up for it at The Well.

Back