News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.3K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Residential segregation in Toronto

A lot of data here...

White-Visible Minority index of dissimilarity: 0.452
White-Black index of dissimilarity: 0.512

I don't think that's the most interesting statistic, by far.

It does show Toronto is somewhat more segregated, based on 'race' than it was say 30 years ago.

However, it also shows Toronto is about as Segregated at Minneapolis, MN, or we would rank #40 of the 50 largest urban centres in the U.S.

While a greater degree of 'mixing' is highly desirable, and the trendline indicates reasons for concern, we are in no way 'highly' segregated, as many of the graphics in the report clearly illustrated.

What's more interesting is the discussion of income inequality, which shows a clear spike upwards in Toronto vs historical norms, here we are talking income inequality irrespective of skin colour or other division.

We also see a clear diminution of the middle.

1577026176154.png

This graphic clear shows we as a city have gone from a situation in which 58% of all neighbourhoods were hovering in/around average income levels, to a number exactly 1/2 of that, with the rest being higher or lower.

That is a concern across all society demographics, but one which clearly exacerbates any other other problems being experienced within a given demographic.

Its a number that in conjunction with the cost of market-housing (including rental) will forcefully drive greater segregation as more people need to rely on public housing and/or pockets of relatively affordability in the least desirable neighbourhoods.

This graphic similarly shows that contrast with a pick-up from 14 to 21% of tracts having incomes that are more than 20% above average; while the number of areas more than 20% below average has more than doubled since 1970.

1577026527451.png

Its worth adding at this juncture, that 1990 may be a more useful comparator to the present than 1970, because a good chunk of Scarborough was still farmland in 1970.

Continuing the above

1577026954206.png

This graphic certainly does show some areas of possible concern.

But I do think its important to remember than 'white' people from a census perspective represent 49% of the overall population of Toronto.

That would mean the middleclass areas is within 20% of being demographically non-segregated completely; while whites are represented at 2/3 of the demographic count among low-income earners, and over represented at the high end by less than 1/2.

I would certainly like to see the numbers come closer to demographic harmony, but I expect by global standards that really isn't all that bad.

That's not excuse for accepting it.

But It does suggest to me that we focused, mostly, on addressing income inequality in general, we would easily address more than 1/2 of the 'racial' disparity indicated above.

The graphic below looks at education levels and I think is quite revelatory in some respects
1577027380656.png

It reveals 2 different things at the extremes.

It suggests that university degrees are a high predictor of high income, irrespective of background; and Toronto's black community clearly lags in this area.

It mandates a very clear direction of intervention examining what's going on in the elementary/middleschool/highschool settings that we are generating disproportionately lower applications to university and/or fewer qualified applicants......

As well as examining what other barriers, including income may be coming into play there.

But noting the similarly in High School drop out rates among various groups, its clear from the cumulative data than less educated whites and non-black minorities in that situation are mostly doing better (not well)

* note that the arab community has similar challenges.

Here again, we need to dig deeper. What percentage of this is discrimination (surely some), but what is the result of other issues? I'm wondering, for instance, about extended families that get each other jobs where they work and whether that plays any role?

I wouldn't pre-judge any study on that as its merely an anecdotal observation, but I am curious.

1577027864224.png

When one examines this data point, it shows an overall employment number of visible minorities somewhat higher than their 'white' counterparts; but the difference isn't staggering.

The difference within minority groups stands out more, with those identifying as black, arab, and west Asian seeing notably higher rates of unemployment.

I think it would really behoove researchers to dig-out the differences there.

Some can be explained by widespead south and east Asian immigration and an immigration system that favours money and education; but that doesn't account for the Filipino numbers which are roughly
inline with broader societal averages.

I imagine a heat map of Toronto shootings would look similar.

You have to know how bad this sounds right?

Your daughters would call you racist for saying that; don't believe me? Ask them.

I don't think you are racist; but you reflexively say things that don't reflect well on you and send other people's blood pressure through the roof.

Try reflecting a bit more before posting something like that.

First, by maybe looking at the report linked, and those graphics, and then the map of Toronto shootings, which is also available online.

Then, even if your would be statement had some accuracy to it (less than you'd think, but more than it should); you might take a moment to consider how to phrase that in a constructive way. Just sayin.

You have to know how bad this sounds right?
I suppose it does, but I just see the lost potential of this government report to drive the greater discussion on racialized segregation and its connection to violence in Toronto.

We know from TPS wanted lists and the media that Toronto’s shooters and their victims are from our racialized communities. But there’s no city-funded report similar to this segregation report telling us why and how to fix the violence and shootings in these communities. This current report would have been useful it if had added a section on the dangers and downside of segregation with regards to crime, racialized or otherwise, and how desegregation can address it. Like this report from the USA, titled Residential Segregation Associated with Black–White Disparity in Firearm Homicide Rates. I‘ve seen it myself in Regent Park, where through desegregation a crime-ridden no go zone has become a wonderful community for people of all backgrounds. I count amongst my own friends several Regent residents.
And perhaps the success with Regent Park shows us the path on how to fix racialized segregation and its crime issues. That fix could be focused on bringing different people from different socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds into these areas. This would be a novel approach, as most desegregation campaigns focus on moving people from the segregated community into what’s considered the mainstream or affluent area, but why not do it the other way round as well, like in Regent Park?

No racism intended.

Last edited:
I‘ve seen it myself in Regent Park, where through desegregation a crime-ridden no go zone has become a wonderful community for people of all backgrounds. I count amongst my own friends several Regent residents.
And perhaps the success with Regent Park shows us the path on how to fix racialized segregation and its crime issues. That fix could be focused on bringing different people from different socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds into these areas. This would be a novel approach, as most desegregation campaigns focus on moving people from the segregated community into what’s considered the mainstream or affluent area, but why not do it the other way round as well, like in Regent Park?

No racism intended.

No racism perceived. I think this is an astute and entirely reasonable observation.

But I also think it goes beyond 'mixed income' areas unto themselves.

It goes to a variety of questions;

For instance, we know that while some rich kids commit serious crimes, particularly in violence, it is less common.

That is partly a function of the culture of the area/fellow students in which one is raised; but I think the more correlative link is education, which also tends to correlate w/wealth.

There are a slew of reasons for this, money being one key one, but hardly the only one. Parental expectation, systemic expectation, academic supports, parental supports etc etc. So many contributing factors.

The virtue in mixed income communities unfolds from kids from low-income households exposed and connected to kids from higher income ones; and at least as important, the amenities and services in that community now have to service a more demanding and influential group (higher income earners) yet also be available to lower-income earners.

I agree with moving towards more mixed income communities; though that isn't equally easy in all areas, as the market-attractiveness of a Jane-Finch or Rexdale is not the same as an area walking distance to downtown Toronto.

Still, its a good place to go forward from, in one respect.

That said, I think there's a good deal in that report that you didn't look over or provide adequate credit too.

Its important to ask why some minorities have fewer challenges and some moreso.

its important to acknowledge discrimination in different forms continues to exist.

Some is conscious, some is systemic; and then there are other issues that aren't conventionally seen as discriminatory but which clearly impact outcomes.

All of these merit examination; and some solutions are discussed in the report, albeit in a cursory and limited fashion.

It suggests that university degrees are a high predictor of high income, irrespective of background; and Toronto's black community clearly lags in this area.

A lot is related to pre-migration factors as well. The Caribbean and East African communities are overwhelmingly working class immigrants and refugees. The East African community is the poorest in Toronto.

While a greater degree of 'mixing' is highly desirable, and the trendline indicates reasons for concern, we are in no way 'highly' segregated, as many of the graphics in the report clearly illustrated.

True, Toronto is what would be considered moderately segregated. Ethnic enclaves exist - but they're actually more "mixed" than most people think (30-35% is a reasonable cutoff for enclave IMO). A very small minority of Chinese and South Asians for example actually live in CTs comprised of a majority of their ethnicity (I know of one 100% Chinese CT in Agincourt but it also has about 150 people in it and it's also 100% senior citizens - because it's comprised of a Chinese seniors residence!) There are also Jewish and Italian enclaves - few raise "concern" about them - since they're mostly native-born and generally middle or high income.

But there is also discrimination that hurts Black Torontonians especially though not exclusively:

But for Black people, “skin colour matters” when it comes to where they live, Hulchanski says.

“That’s why more people in Toronto need to recognize anti-black racism, specifically. (Skin colour) still matters to some landlords ... and produces the map you see. It matters to some employers too. Lower incomes equal fewer options in the housing market. It’s no surprise to see the Black population highly concentrated,” Hulchanski says.
“We are a segregated city,” Hulchanski says, adding the problems also impact Muslims and recent immigrants.

The concern isn't so much the existence of Black neighborhoods - but that they're so heavily concentrated in poor neighborhoods whether "enclaves" or not.

White-Black Index of Dissimilarity (and Black population %):

New York 76.9 (17%)
Chicago 75.2 (17%)
Los Angeles 65.2 (7%)
Boston 61.5 (8%)
San Francisco 59.3 (8%)
Toronto 51.5 (8%)
Minneapolis 50.2 (8%)
Seattle 45.6 (6%)

Last edited:
While the Toronto City numbers are concerning I think they don’t give the whole picture anymore, meaning you can’t analyze Toronto without acknowledging GTA wide patterns.

Like just say you took this data, saw the increase in low income households and crafted a policy locally in Toronto proper to generously support those households. You may end up actually increasing poverty in the socio-economic mix in the City as low income residents from other GTA communities move to take advantage of them.

The intersection of class and race.

White

Low income CTs 32%
Middle income CTs 35%
High income CTs 32%

South Asian

Low income CTs 76%
Middle income CTs 16%
High income CTs 7%

Chinese

Low income CTs 59%
Middle income CTs 25%
High income CTs 15%

Black

Low income CTs 76%
Middle income CTs 17%
High income CTs 7%

Last edited:
The intersection of class and race.

White

Low income CTs 32%
Middle income CTs 35%
High income CTs 32%

South Asian

Low income CTs 76%
Middle income CTs 16%
High income CTs 7%

Chinese

Low income CTs 59%
Middle income CTs 25%
High income CTs 15%

Black

Low income CTs 74%
Middle income CTs 16%
High income CTs 7%
Some of the numbers don't add up to 100% (especially the Black one when compared with South Asians)

Back