Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Less condos more desirable with or wothout balconies. especially in 5 star living.

Agree with the first part about less condos being "more desirable".

Frankly though at these numbers, 160 or 360 approx not so sure makes a big difference: Now a Building with 25-50 units. that is intimate. I think you lose intimacy once you are beyond 50 or so units. So I am not so sure that it makes a big difference.

One thing that does give Ritz an up is that I believe they have private elevators which is more exclusive. However, I think it means you are less likely to ever meet any of your neighbours which can be a good or a bad thing.

So I agree, the Ritz has some features very desirable, maybe even more so than Shangrila.

To me the Balcony and no outside space: Just huge. A deal breaker in fact for me. I don't know how many think like me. Ability to get some fresh air (despite that Ritz may have absolutely perfect air exchanger systems) is important to me and perhaps others.

One other thing: 80 vs. 54 cents/sq. ft. Big. I have condos and I can tell you that buying them is rarely the problem: Maintaining them and costs an ongoing bugaboo. Even people in high end condos look at this though perhaps the ultra high end less.

Ritz Carlton by me

sany0008p.jpg

Toronto Canada

200 hundred more condos using the same elevators,serives ,ameneties,parking garage,!!!!!!!!!!! not many!!! Have you seen the private terrace for the residence only at the Ritz.? Facing south to the lake,unobstructed,over 2,000 square feet,protected from the elements,bar,private from the hotel.

To me the Balcony and no outside space: Just huge. A deal breaker in fact for me. I don't know how many think like me. Ability to get some fresh air (despite that Ritz may have absolutely perfect air exchanger systems) is important to me and perhaps others

I don't know how great the air exchanger will be, nothing replaces a window or balcony especially on a higher floor you always get a breeze blowing in, also a window comes in handy when cooking to let the smoke and fumes out, i can't imagine a smoker living in a unit with a window that doesn't open ewww. Trump and Four Seasons buildings both have windows that open by the looks of it.

Air sytem exhausts the air and brings in the fresh air. No worries about opening windows,doors in the wonderful cold winter,steamy hot days,pouring rain,blowing snow,wind tunnels high up. why would you want continous fresh air when you can leave the door open,windows and have to regulate the AC,heat ,pay more , fight the elements

May I ask a question toskier.

Do you work in an office tower with no windows that open. I appreciate technology is changing and getting better but sometimes a breeze or open window or desire to vent some odours may come into play. Alot of people complain of stuffiness, headaches, etc. Now I appreciate that you may well have the best continuous fresh air system in the Ritz in the world. Personally, nothing beats a natural breeze.

I appreciate your vigourous and strong defence of the Ritz. Am I correct that you bought here and are upset because some of us don't share your view on the inability to open a window? It may be better and maybe in 10 years every building will have this technology.

I can tell you that I know of a few younger retirees / individuals whol sold homes who moved to condos to sell them 2 years later to move to a townhouse (some with elevators) or single detached again. When asked why: Reasons were: Didn't like not being able to enter on main floor, elevator rides, odours, parking garages. But the main one: No outside space.

I equate this and open windows together. Again this may end up being 5% or maybe 50%. I have no idea. I just feel personally that the Ritz is a beautiful building with very good layouts. The only negative from MY VIEW is the lack of balcony and opening windows.

Like so many things, nothing is perfect (as you have pointed out the flaws with my choice of unit)and I respect that. It is a question of chosing those features that one feels are important to the individual.

Clearly Gabe (who I don't know) shares my concerns and I suspect would consider that in a purchase decision. Whether that would stop him or someone else from buying (even if your closed system is in fact far better than an open one) is individual.

Either way, the Ritz is a beautiful building. The layouts very good. The 10 ft. ceilings and finishings beautiful and may be with it's only 160 units vs. 360 units way better.

Like I said, in 5 years, when both have been up for a few years, we shall see what the price/foot is. The market ultimately will determine which building was ultimately better as a whole at least from a value perspective.

I give you that ur writing skills are 10x better than mine!!

The buyer that doesn"t like condos because of backyards ...they don"t like condo living period... regardless balconies or not.

Like I said before you will see the traffic difference in the building,parking garage,street traffic,elevators and not as many

private areas for owners..higher ceilings,private gym,private terrace for owners(large,unobstructed forever),more effecient

heating & cooling(enwvae),DIRECT ACCESS to PATH!!!!! Steps to Entertainment area(theatre,symphony,TIFF,convention

center etc!! 100 years of history RITZ (Hotels in 23 countries,74 hotels ).

Back up generator for AC!!!!!!!!!

Balcony or the above??

Vote now...

OK Since we are going to continue:

Thank you for the writing skill comment. Your writing skills are just fine and every bit as good as mine.

I agree condos aren't for everyone. We should agree to disagree that for some at least, a balcony and an opening window is important.

I will see more traffic at Shangrila than Ritz. I agree. However, I am not sure how many people will like having a private elevator and not seeing their neighbours. Maybe everyone. I don't know. Personally, I like seeing some people. Living downtown comes with seeing people I think.

If I am not mistaken, and please don't bite my head off if I am right or wrong, the Ritz you have to take 2 elevators. One from the main loby to the 22nd floor, and then you have to change to your private elevator. Am I correct? Would you want to take 2 elevator rides though I guess you get to see your neighbours on the first ride. If I am wrong, I am misremembering the project and I apologize.

As for the owner's deck. I agree very nice. But I don't want to have to get into an elevator to get a breath of fresh air. And I think 200 sq. ft. of my own little balcony is kind of nice to entertain privately on. That vs. a common 2000 sq. ft. deck. Individual choice. If one or the other, my preference is clear. Again, let's agree to disagree.

I again concede the 10 ft. ceiling at Ritz is better(in fact, I think it was a mistake for Shangrila to offer only 9 feet).

Now as to location. Again that is individual. I think University Ave. is nicer than Wellington. That said, it takes me 2 minutes by foot to Roy Thomson, you probably 45 seconds. We have the entertainment area which may be in fact a bad thing (noise etc). I concede the point. Other than that, everything is within 2 mintues of each other. The opera center is accross the street which may/may not be your taste.

Again, my last point. Most of the 1 bedrooms are North facing. There is one design NW corner and one with South. However, no or little direct sun which my wife does not like. And yes, sigh, I still am dictated to by my wife( and hopefully shall always be. I understand Divorce is an expensive process). Hence I chose a West face.

1100 sq. ft gives me a 1 bedroom + den design. Functional but not very large. However, minimum is 1400 sq.ft essentially for Ritz. The small den is important to me personally. Hence I would need to look at 2 bedrooms which are much larger and more expensive. To get partial West view or the South, I have to go around 1600 sq. ft. for a 1 bedroom which places it alot more expensive (though clearly you are getting more as well for the money). Finally, I succeed in getting entry level (not the smallest unit) but 2nd in size and am price supported by units that are considerably more valuable and I hope will hold my value though the opposite argument that the price point of the Ritz being higher will in fact result in stronger support value. I just don't know. Therefore, for my needs and price point, this makes more sense for me.

Now as to brand. I am familiar with the Shangrila brand. It is new to North America. It is number 1 in Asia. The Shangrila Vancouver is now the number 1 designated hotel within the Shangrila chain worldwide. The developer is the same in Toronto as in Vancouver and I have every hope that Shangrila is trying to make an impression in North America. Some risk but if they pull the same quality as in Asia, it will be every bit I believe as the Ritz and frankly, probably better. This is however a North American unknown. Service is superb in both but in Asia, the Shangrila legendary. Of course, we both will likely bothagree that 4Seasons has its overall #1 rank for a reason, but as I said before, one is paying another $300 or so/sq.ft. for the location and to be in the 4Seasons.

You may point out that the hotel is seperate from the residence and you would be correct. However, I think that once known ( and this is hopeful on my part), the Shangrila will be recognized here as comparable to the Ritz and has room to grow in value for the brand recognition. As for 100 years of the "Ritz" true and and there is definately the brand recognition. I would actually argue having experienced both, Shangrila is actually as good or actually( and don't be angry: my personal opinion only ) better than the Ritz as a hotel. Their people are trained to a level that no other chain I am aware of aspirates to. Their spa is #1. As well, for eg. front desk workers are not hired off the street but go through vigorous training before placed there.

As for building appearance. This is individual. I prefer the Shangrila though it remains to be seen when constructed but the Ritz is absolutely gorgeous as well.

Finally Path: agree score 1 for the Ritz. I believe the connection will happen within a few years. Wishful anyhow but like I said, 100 yards even in winter for the hopeful short term, manageable.

Finally don't underestimate the running cost argument I put forth

Toskier, I believe like I said you are a Ritz purchaser and you have bought in a fabulous, possibly better building than I have. Congratulations again. For my price point and needs, Shangrila is just a better fit.

I think we have exhausted the topic.

Let's compare notes and price values in 5 years. Loser pays for the coffee (haha).

Last edited:
It will be interesting to compare the final product Ritz VS Shangrila. Just going by some of the Ritz hotels i have stayed at recently i find the Ritz doesn't have the "wow factor" like the Asian competitors Mandarin Oriental and Shangrila ( which i have yet to stay at) Ritz has lost some of it's grandeur, i blame Marriott for that, they took over the Ritz name about 10 years ago. I'm a Marriott rewards platinum member and Ritz didn't even recognize my elite status with any upgrades which was a real disappointment. I will definitely be enrolling in Shangri-la's Golden Circle Gold Membership.

IMO

More units means more dogs in elevators. As it is many dog owners have to wait for the next elevator because their dogs don't get along.

Back