Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

tudararms: You ask, and Google Maps provides. (Today, I noticed that, next to 'Satellite' and 'Hybrid,' Google has enabled their new 'Commentary' option.)

Too bad they couldn't update the Toronto satellite image - it's of poor quality compared to the US cities, and it's dark and old (my guess is four-five years old).

Thanks Sir Novelty, a picture is indeed worth a thousand words.

I wonder if RT Hall will spiff up its back lot with the two new towers going up (two, count 'em, two!).

Now we just need the Festival Tower to go up!!

doesn't look at all like construction is starting on the Ritz

the open sales office
the open parking lot
and concrete barriers completely surrounding the RBC Centre site

I would have expected the cost savings to be substantial if they'd done both at once. Or is this not the case?

Though I suppose if the Ritz isn't ready to go, it's not ready to go...

They can still dig the hole for one and when the hole is finished, start on the Ritz. The basically did this for the Minto midtown site, and to some extent the ROCP. Heck, you can only dig so much dirt at one time.

^ exactly - might as well keep the sales office open as long as they can. It was my impression after some conversations back in the spring the the Ritz would likely start a month or two after RBC - although due to strong sales I wouldn't be surprised if the sales office does come down in the next couple of weeks.

that image brings to mind a new riff on an old adage:

"I remember when this was all parking lots....: :D

It all might be parking lots again in 50 or 60 years...

I don't see what Roy Thomson Hall can do to "spiff up its back lot" ( the south side ) - which consists of the underground parking entrance for it and Metro Hall, a loading dock, and a parking space for employees. Every large cultural facility such as this ( similar concerns about the York Street side of the opera house were discussed ad nauseum on this forum ) is bound to have a functional and less showy side.

babel:

re: RTH BOH

I vaguely recall some talk of that lot has the potential to be used as an additional performance space in their master plan. Do you know if that's true or not?

I was walking along Simcoe the other day and I must admit the building hasn't aged well at all.

AoD

Alvin:

In what way has it not aged well on the outside? It looks exactly the same to me, taking into account the effect that the passage of time has on the exterior of all buildings, as it did in 1984. The only change has been the addition of the rather nice Lexus Lounge at the south east corner. I think that the lower level of the sunken garden on the north side ought to be open more though - whenever I've been there for a concert in the nice weather only the upper deck has been.

I haven't heard anything about a second, smaller, performance space for chamber music or whatever. Would it be worth the expense, given the fact that the TSO has already spent 20 million on a huge reno, are almost broke again, and in any case play the 1,000 seat George Weston ( which has sublime acoustics ) at Yonge and Sheppard, as well as other venues? The new smaller spaces planned for the renovated Royal Conservatory, and existing performance spaces at the U of T, give them plenty of choice of excellent smaller venues.

I missed this thread, so I went looking for it. Page 6! Is this what we've come to?

Here's some tidbits:

- About 65% sold
- Penthouse still unsold, yours for $13 million
- Construction start planned for December

C'est tout.

Back