Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

I'm surprised with the interiors for such a contemporary glass skyscraper ^^^. very classic approach (nothing wrong with it), :)

Same here. I remember reading an article on how RC was starting to move away from it's "classic" decor and introducing a contemporary luxury elegance that reflects its location. The RC Georgetown was among the first to move towards this philosophy, with newer properties like the RC Dallas and the RC LA, which I see a lot of similarities with the Toronto property. Of course, you still have your classic properties like the RC Central Park, NY. Seems like Toronto is in the middle of these two approaches? I do like the rooms from the RC site though.

by me

sany0092z.jpg

thanks for the photo! that wavy design element...i stared at it for hours once while all dosed up...years ago now...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the opening has been delayed until 2011 due to flooding.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Flooding delays Ritz-Carlton opening until January
Steve Ladurantaye

The Ritz-Carlton hotel won’t open this year as planned, after flooding forced its managers to push the date back until late January.

The Wellington Street West hotel – due to open in December – was forced to cancel reservations and events after a pipe burst on the fifth floor earlier this month. General manager Tim Terceira made the decision after reviewing the damage, which mostly affected office space and operational areas.

Originally, the hotel was to have opened in mid-summer. It has already hired its 400 employees, and hotel officials said in April that it had filled its reservation book with weddings and bar mitzvahs.

“In a small way we’re fortunate that it happened before we opened,†said Mr. Terceira, adding the condo units that share the building with the hotel were unaffected by the flooding. “It may have been more difficult if we were operational.â€

The 267-room Ritz is one a handful of luxury hotels slated to open in the city in the next two years. New hotels include The Trump International Hotel & Tower, a new Four Seasons and the Shangri-La Toronto.

There are 12,000 hotel rooms within walking distance of Union Station, but the builders of the new facilities are confident there is demand at the high end of the market, where rooms start around $300 a night and climb steeply from there.

While there is no formal definition of what constitutes a five-star hotel, it generally refers to properties with a high staff-to-patron ratio and luxury amenities. And these hotels are firmly in the five-star camp.

The Thompson Toronto, a 102-room hotel in the King West neighbourhood, opened last summer and has seen firm bookings, capitalizing on its hot rooftop patio and the Toronto Film Festival to fill its high-end rooms.

“We got off to a positive start with strong occupancy,†said Tony Cohen, one of the hotel’s partners. “I think for the longest time the city was underserved in terms of quality hotels, and hotels like the Thompson and the Ritz are a step in the right directio.â€

Last week, Urban Toronto had occasion to get an update on construction progress inside the Ritz-Carlton courtesy of Garnet Watchorn, president of Graywood Developments Ltd., and facilitated by David Eisenstadt of The Communications Group. Slowly but surely, the true opulence of the building is being uncovered, revealing what promises to be among the most luxurious hotel-residences in the Ritz-Carlton family.

Text by Doug Convoy, Photos by Interchange42

A view across the granite-surfaced porte-cochère toward the hotel lobby entrance.

RitzP1180967.jpg

Spanish anigre wood panelling in the hotel lobby.

RitzP1180969.jpg

Other finishes in the hotel lobby include cherry wood, anodized steel, and Alicante marble.

RitzP1190067.jpg

RitzP1190065.jpg

The future TOCA restaurant with double-vaulted ceilings on the second floor of the hotel lobby.

RitzP1190062.jpg

Looking toward the private dining room (left) and wine-tasting room (right) inside the restaurant.

RitzTocaIntpano.jpg

The restaurant also contains a cheese-aging room.

RitzP1190057.jpg

The restaurant kitchen, which includes a chef's table for invited guests.

RitzP1190060.jpg

The second level of the podium just outside the grand ballroom.

RitzP1190051.jpg

RitzP1190053.jpg

RitzP1190056.jpg

A view inside the immense grand ballroom, here divided into three sections by sliding partitions.

RitzP1190043.jpg

The specially-commissioned carpet in the grand ballroom was created, delivered, and installed in one piece. It depicts the riverbed of the Don.

RitzBallroomThirdpano.jpg

The mechanical room on the third level of the podium, one of two in the building, with the other located below grade and powered by Deep Lake Water Cooling.

RitzP1190040.jpg

Laundry facilities on the third floor of the podium.

RitzP1190042.jpg

The fourth level of the podium just outside the junior ballroom.

RitzP1190020.jpg

The junior ballroom.

RitzP1190015.jpg

Boardroom on the fourth level of the podium.

RitzP1190018.jpg

Inside the 23,000 sq ft spa encompassing the entire fifth level of the podium. The spa features a retail boutique, beauty salon, fitness centre, swimming area, co-ed relaxation room, men's and women's relaxation lounges, sixteen treatment rooms, grooming stations, vitality pools, saunas, and steam rooms.

RitzP1190025.jpg

RitzP1190027.jpg

The swimming area inside the spa.

RitzPoolpano.jpg

RitzPool2pano.jpg

The outdoor lounge terrace for residents with rough-granite decking and under-floor heating on the 21st floor, which also houses the residents-only Sky Lobby, lounge, bar, fitness studio, screening room, games room, meeting room, and private guest suite.

RitzP1190012.jpg

RitzResidentPatiopano.jpg

RitzP1190011.jpg

A peek inside the 10,800 sq ft private penthouse on the 52nd floor, which can be accessed by two reserved residential elevators and one service elevator.

RitzP1180970.jpg

The 2,000 sq ft penthouse terrace under scaffolding due a construction accident a few weeks ago.

RitzP1180972.jpg

And that marks the end of our tour of The Ritz-Carlton, which is sure to set a new standard for luxurious living in this country. Urban Toronto will continue to visit and report on the building as construction advances toward its official opening early next year.

Man that carpet is ugly. The rest is looking pretty good, however.

yes... i agree.. they went very "old school" for some of the rooms in the podium... the use of wood really reminds me of the AGO.

Nothing beats that penthouse ^^^ I wish you guys did a video tour to capture how big it is :)

hmm, it's probably too early so I could take this back but I expected more, honestly, some other Toronto hotel's downtown seem to have more interesting lobbies! (Sheraton for one even..)

That carpet looks like bacon. Ladies and Gentlemen, please enter Bacon room A. Bacon B is around the corner.

The decor is indeed jarring, but I think it's nice to see a surprise like this-- it's so different from current Toronto interiors.

at first glance I thought the carpet was actually an unfinished floor waiting for some fancy tile to be layed on top. perhaps the photos don't entirely do it justice, but it does still seem like a really odd style. it may take some getting used too

I thought it was an unfinished floor as well - I assumed the "bacon" strips were glue of some kind waiting for tiling. That is one hideous carpet. Can't say I like the interior much at all really. Very dated. What was the designer(s) thinking? They should be embarrassed.

That carpet is horrible. And why is there carpet in the ballroom? You can't dance on carpet. Must be easily removable? Hopefully replaceable too haha.

Back