Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

here is a more up to date photo
from flickr.com
by davidtross

4148684738_8affbf9b5d_b.jpg

Is that the beginning of the roof slant I see forming on the left side?

The columns do look like they're breaking back, but I'm not sure if that's the roof slant. I was actually expecting the roof slant piece to be done in steel

here is a more up to date photo
from flickr.com
by davidtross

4148684738_8affbf9b5d_b.jpg

I look at this photo and I can't believe where the time has gone....

When I was a little younger than Steveve, (I had just turned 13) I went up the CN Tower for the first time on June 26, 1976. (It had opened the 23rd but I couldn't make it that day.)

I had watched The CN Tower being built from the first hole in the ground and I was there on Front Street the day OLGA lifted the last piece of antenna to the top. So I was eager to see that remarkable view we had all been promised.... It was awe inspiring and disappointing at the same time. That same view down below was a vast wasteland of warehouses, rail lands and HUUUUUGE surface parking lots. Not very metropolis-like at all.

I remember the newspapers of the day talked about all the future developments for the city. I collected articles with renderings and proposals for developments that never happened. (I wish I still had them) I tried to imagine what the city would look like in the far off 21st century!

And there it is!!!

I never get tired of looking at those concrete pourers. Easily the most science fictiony looking construction equipment in daily use. I did see a show once on the Discovery channel about a giant house-demolishing robotic thing with big steel pincers for hands, but it's still experimental AFAIK.

I look at this photo and I can't believe where the time has gone....

When I was a little younger than Steveve, (I had just turned 13) I went up the CN Tower for the first time on June 26, 1976. (It had opened the 23rd but I couldn't make it that day.)

I had watched The CN Tower being built from the first hole in the ground and I was there on Front Street the day OLGA lifted the last piece of antenna to the top. So I was eager to see that remarkable view we had all been promised.... It was awe inspiring and disappointing at the same time. That same view down below was a vast wasteland of warehouses, rail lands and HUUUUUGE surface parking lots. Not very metropolis-like at all.

I remember the newspapers of the day talked about all the future developments for the city. I collected articles with renderings and proposals for developments that never happened. (I wish I still had them) I tried to imagine what the city would look like in the far off 21st century!

And there it is!!!

We're about the same age and I experienced this as well.

Much the same here, and in the same year. Although in my case it was during a school trip to Toronto.

Ditto for me as well, although I was in grade three and it was a family trip. I recall being driven past the tower on the Gardiner when it was under construction and I couldn't believe the size of it. Once up there, the view absolutely blew me away. I didn't care at all that the land directly beneath it and where the Ritz is now was just tracks, warehouses and parking lots (as Traynor noted, there were vast and expansive spreads of parking lots). At that age I was far more interested in how distant and how much I could see . . .:)

Yeah... it's kinda weird how the concrete looks realistically slanted...

I can't be sure that the 53rd floor is complete cause they're moving the Ritz cam... But the slant should begin any time now.. (or it may have already started)...

Boot up the Ritz cam... NOW!

I wish I had had a camera back then... I don't know why I didn't.

I was such a skyscraper-geek already by 10 years old. As often as I could, I would make the journey down from North York, with some other friends, by subway, and we'd spend the day exploring downtown. (It was a different time in the early 70's. More innocent and safer for kids.)

Back then our observation deck was 57 floors high atop Commerce Court West. It was a great vantage point to watch the progress on the CN Tower, First Canadian place and many others.

If memory serves, that observation deck closed when the CN Tower opened. Too bad, because it gave great views of the city as well.

If we had the cameras that we have today back 20-30 years or more, I hate to think what we would have as history shots now.

With the 35mm, I miss a lot of good shots by been out of focus while on trips.

Then, never had a camera growing up and I was a rail fan then as well now. I would love to have photo's of equipment you don't see anymore on the rails or in ways of buildings I saw then.

I have some BW photo's from the CN tower and nothing to write home for them.

I remember doing a 2 week trip in the early 90's where I shot 45 rolls of 36 frames. Doing that same trip with today cameras, it would be over 5,000 easy.

I take photo's of buildings and other things that catch my eye as they could be gone down the road.

Construction has always interested me as a child and still does even working in it now. One reason I take so many photo's and watching something starting out as nothing to what we have before us.

Very nice childhood story :).... maybe i'll remember something like that when i'm older :)

The city streets are obviously less safe then they were back in the day, but i do fine when i take shots all by myself...

There is the occasional sexual predator once in a while but that's about it... jks... :eek:

"HEY KID! Get in the car and i'll give you some candy" :eek:

It probably isn't less safe now, people are just more fearful nowadays.

All the construction in this part of town is pretty amazing, and it's amazing also that we will still see some significant additions over the next couple of years: Shangri-La, Boutique tower, Theatre Park, etc...

Back