News   Mar 28, 2024
 37     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 537     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 346     0 

Redpath Co-generation Gas Plant (Queens Quay East)

Edward

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto Star reporting Northland Power is proposing a 45 megawatt natural gas co-generation plant at Redpath Sugar just next door to Pier 27 condos. Interesting new neighbours.

Toronto Star reporting Northland Power is proposing a 45 megawatt natural gas co-generation plant at Redpath Sugar just next door to Pier 27 condos. Interesting new neighbours.

Yeah strange, when solar and wind power nowadays is the way to go.:confused:

The power company says a detailed design for the powerhouse will be determined at a later stage. The company is holding a public open house at the Novotel Toronto Centre on July 20 from noon to 8 p.m.

I'm kinda surprised that this was proposed right next to Waterlink, but I suppose that if Redpath isn't going anywhere any time soon, a clean co-generation plant is not a bad addition.

I guess..you sure would need a lot of turbines and panels to make up that power.
The idea behind the co-generation plant is that Redpath will use the steam directly -- the plant is not intended to cover Redpath's electricity needs. (That said, it supposedly will produce enough power for 36,000 homes, so that should cover Redpath's electricity consumption as well.)

I wonder how "clean" that would be? Would there be new technology to make it emit less pollutants to the atmosphere? I guess Toronto's wind pattern is that it blows from west to east predominantly, so waterlink should be spared most of the time, but I don't know how it'd be for Sugarbeach and all the new developments on the east of waterlink

Natural gas plants are extremely clean, by far the cleanest of fossil fuel plants -- there is no particulate matter ("soot"), and almost all of the emissions are just CO2. My guess is that people would find it far less objectionable on a day-to-day basis than the "emissions" that come from the Redpath plant in the form of the burnt-sugar odour. (And keep in mind that large oil-burning cargo ships routinely pull up here, so the area is not "clean" in that sense.)

I find it funny when people complain about gas plants nearby like the one near Sherway and the one killed in Oakville. They refuse a natural gas plant nearby but have no problem living near busy highways which is far worse for pollution and health issues. If you are living here you will be breathing the Gardiner. Though the lake will mitigate considerably.

Toronto Star - Sand, sun — and smokestacks?

e126ab5d47ce892b6c542a7dfbf1.jpeg

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1022769--sand-sun-and-smokestacks?bn=1

Purchasers in Phase 2 of Pier 27 are sure gonna love this addition at the top right of Jasonzed's picture ~ :rolleyes:

from today
20110625087.jpg

Given the ambitious waterfront redevelopment happening right now in the area, the power plant seems random. I suppose it could have some attractive architecture, public spaces, and maybe even some retail space.

The people living in phase 2 have no windows on that side, no? So I don't think they'd really care, because they won't be seeing it.
My biggest issue living beside it would be how safe they are in regards to fires and explosions. It is natural gas after all.

143-460.jpg

However, I think the very top 3 floors that are part of the "bridge", will have windows on that side.

Last edited:
My biggest issue living beside it would be how safe they are in regards to fires and explosions. It is natural gas after all.

The risks posed by a natural gas powered power plant are nothing compared to the risks that currently exist from a potential industrial dust explosion for which Sugar Mills are susceptible. Such an explosion would completely level the Mill and create massive devastation around it. An example of what can happen is the Imperial Sugar Mill disaster in Georgia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Georgia_sugar_refinery_explosion

EDIT: I just noticed from the renderings above that it appears that the Architects have considered this risk by designing a blast-wall on the east-elevation. Good planning!

Last edited:
Just what's not needed there. A new active smokestack and Re-industrialization! I don't see it helping the neighbourhood.

Why not just stick the darn thing out beside the gas plant at Hearn?

Last edited:
The risks posed by a natural gas powered power plant are nothing compared to the risks that currently exist from a potential industrial dust explosion for which Sugar Mills are susceptible. Such an explosion would completely level the Mill and create massive devastation around it. An example of what can happen is the Imperial Sugar Mill disaster in Georgia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Georgia_sugar_refinery_explosion
That's crazy! I hope that nothing like that ever happens at Redpath.

Back