News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 614     0 

Re: Repeated posting of articles

W

wyliepoon

I couldn't believe I fell for it.

I checked the subjects of all the sections to see if any of them carried the "Waiting for Gehry" article, and being quite satisfied that none of the subjects sounded like the title of the article, I posted it. Couldn't believe that someone beat me to it.

I think this has happened on many occasions before, but with increasing frequency in recent days. People like miketoronto must be really frustrated at posting articles that have already been posted on the forum.

Perhaps we should have a section on the forum where all newspaper articles can be stored. We can appoint a few forumers to scan newspapers everyday for architecture and urban-related issues and then post them on the forum. Other forumers can contribute to the articles section from various magazines, websites, etc.

It's just my idea to solving repeat posting of articles. There are probably other methods. I don't care what method we use, but the problem of multiple posting of articles must be solved or else we're going to have a lot of forumers freaking out around here.

I don't know why people would freak out.

A newspaper-article forum is an interesting idea, but would need some rules, such as requiring posts to carry the exact headline in the "subject" field, so that people can easily spot the article they are about to post.

The main drawback is probably when you want to post an article as a reply within an already-established thread. But it might be a good idea, as I know I personally find it discouraging (too much reading) when certain people keep posting articles to support their arguments.

I also agree its frustrating when some people (I think we have the same person in mind) post articles to prove thier point, if I wanted to read the entire National Post I would pick one up.

We definitely have the same person in mind. I still say post your thought, include part of the article plus a link to the rest, and then let the discussion begin.

Posting entire articles from newspaper is fine - but make sure that you clean it up a bit so that it is actually readable - it's an eyesore when everything including ads and links interferes with the body of the post.

GB

Back