News   Aug 26, 2024
 1K     5 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 953     1 
News   Aug 26, 2024
 563     0 

Re-branding of Eye Magazine into GridTO and other Toronto Periodicals...

sungs

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think adequate time has passed for a critique of GridTO magazine (formerly known as Eye Magazine). Believe me I thought the rebranding was lame as hell, being a reader of Eye for quite a few years...I thought it was just capitalizing on the social media thing, being new and blah blah blah. But I really have to say it's a pleasure to browse on the ride home. To me it really feels like its celebrating Toronto even though I might be at the ending range of its demographics. Last week's waterfront issue was a nice touch, and as always I like reading Keenan's articles. The large page spreads of people doing normal things or being somewhere notable in Toronto is a nice touch, even though it looks like a blog (I initially didn't think that would translate well in print, though I've been surprised). Key thing with it I feel is its accessiblility (sometimes I don't want to look up big words).

I always felt before that the real difference between Eye and Now magazine was in the tone of their horroscopes, meaning what was really the difference between the two? Now I feel GridTo is its own animal. The interesting thing I find is that when the whole debacle of when Eye was going through a rebranding, it was to take on a "Toronto Life" sort of feel. This really clicked to me in the last week when after reading the "Exodus to the Burbs" article in Toronto Life and then later reading Grid's rebuttal today almost like Grid was waiting for a moment like this to slug it out lol.

Anyhow I'd just like to hear people's thoughts on ALL of our periodicals including Spacing, Torontoist,BlogTo, Inside Toronto and others I've missed. Put them in categories or whatever, I'm just glad they all exist because none of them seem to capture all of the rest of them.

Back