News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 451     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

Yeah, the BA project includes two boxes, and possibily a slightly thinner box to the north. They're still boxed-in (pun!) by the other MINT boxes and will be relatively insignificant to the skyline looking north and east.

RBC and Ritz are curvy and sexy and sit on previously vacant land, so they'll have more impact. Good thing they're not complete boxes like BA!

Yeah, the BA project includes two boxes, and possibily a slightly thinner box to the north. They're still boxed-in (pun!) by the other MINT boxes and will be relatively insignificant to the skyline looking north and east.

RBC and Ritz are curvy and sexy and sit on previously vacant land, so they'll have more impact. Good thing they're not complete boxes like BA!

I think BAC will be pretty noticeable looking west. As of now there's a huge drop-off after Scotia Plaza. BAC will taper the skyline much better. At the same time, I think RBC will be pretty invisible from almost every direction, especially after Ritz is built.

Yes Koz, you are correct.

There is a huge drop off in the skyline looking from the east and the west after Scotiaplaza and FCP. BA1/BA2 will fill this gap and look good doing that job as well.

The twin tower concept is sexy too!!

As for RBC and Ritz, I have high hopes for the Ritz hotel, and RBC is meeting my expectations. I don't think I'll be disappointed on either count.

Caltrane, if I recall correctly this RBC tower was a vertically-phased building--designed to handle at least 50 floors?

Yes, but that was when they were planning on building only 30 storeys initially. - They fact they got a tenant and required 42 floors, means they will not put a crane on the roof to add on an additional 8 floors.

Overall I like this building, but the inset cladding on the 5th floor sort of bugs me. It seems sort of random and pointless...why did they bother doing that? It needlessly reduces interior floor space, and will probably end up being a roosting place for pigeons. Is it a desperate attempt to be novel and avoid being "boxy"?

Other than that I really like this building though :)

RBC is 124 feet taller than Simcoe Place (it's 610 feet to the top of the "lantern" rooftop element).... and the north/south elevation is much wider than the Ritz.

It will be very visible from the south, north and west (east maybe not so much).

I think BAC will be pretty noticeable looking west. As of now there's a huge drop-off after Scotia Plaza. BAC will taper the skyline much better. At the same time, I think RBC will be pretty invisible from almost every direction, especially after Ritz is built.

I don't know how you expect RBC to be invsible from any direction other than west (since it's blocked by the MINT). It's standing relatively out in the open with nothing surrounding it. BAC, on the other hand, will only be 1/4 visible from any direction except west, especially after RA2 is built, which will block most of it out looking east, as well.

BAC will taper the existing skyline while being surrounded by other tall buildings. RBC and Ritz will stretch the skyline west.

I don't know how you expect RBC to be invsible from any direction other than west (since it's blocked by the MINT). It's standing relatively out in the open with nothing surrounding it. BAC, on the other hand, will only be 1/4 visible from any direction except west, especially after RA2 is built, which will block most of it out looking east, as well.

BAC will taper the existing skyline while being surrounded by other tall buildings. RBC and Ritz will stretch the skyline west.

RBC will certainly be visible from the north but from the south most of it will be blocked by Simcoe. The top will peak out over Simcoe but I would hardly call that visible. I'm thinking that from east it will be largely blocked by the MINT and that from the west (even without Ritz) it will be viewed against the backdrop of the MINT which will tend to draw eyes away from it. I think it'll be extremely noticeable from local neighborhoods though, which I really appreciate.

Anyone have any good renderings of the future skyline from east or west?

As I mentioned, I'm not sure 124 feet above Simcoe Place qualifies as a "peek" from the south pov. Particularly given the dearth of tall buildings west of mint.

As the ubiquitous waterfront photos demonstrate, Simcoe Place occupies a fairly commanding presence in its location. Stacking another 10 or 11 stories above it will certainly be noticible (especially at night... lantern).

March 21

2350995918_44d956f587_b.jpg

2350996994_9866844dd8_b.jpg

very nice will really modernize the look of downtown..

Overall I like this building, but the inset cladding on the 5th floor sort of bugs me. It seems sort of random and pointless...why did they bother doing that? It needlessly reduces interior floor space, and will probably end up being a roosting place for pigeons. Is it a desperate attempt to be novel and avoid being "boxy"?

Other than that I really like this building though :)

What's wrong with providing a natural nesting ground for pigeons and peregrines?

They have ways to keep birds from nesting in spots. I would not spend too much time worrying about it.

Back