2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 561     0 

Questions on selling motorcycles

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm considering selling my vintage Triumph motorcycle. Currently it is licensed with valid New Brunswick plate (sticker valid until March 2008), though I've now got my Ontario driver's license and the bike is insured here.

I have a few questions on the possible sale. When someone buys a used motorcycle in Ontario, must they have it safety inspected? I ask this because if I'm going to get my Ontario plate, I must first have the bike safety inspected. If I'm going to sell it soon, I thought I'd get the Ontario plates to make the sale easier, but not if that means that the buyer has to do the safety anyway, since then I might as well skip doing my own safety inspection and keep the New Brunswick plate and registration until I sell it. Of course, legally you're supposed to register out of province vehicles within a few weeks, and I've been here since June, but let's omit that for now.

Second question is, does the plate on the motorcycle stay with the bike, or does the new owner get his own? I know that plates for cars stay with the owner, but is this the same for motorcycles? If the buyer must have his own plate, then I might as well again keep the New Brunswick plate until it expires in March 2008.

Last question, if Miller gets his way, will motorcycles be subjected to the same $60 Miller Tax on vehicle registrations? If yes, then again I'd keep the NB plate a little longer, or alternatively rush to do it now before the tax is passed.

Thanks for your help.

i don't think the tax is on motorcycles if they can park free...

Why don't we make this in to an automobile thread....

I really don't like North American cars anymore apart from Chevy's.

Back