News   Apr 23, 2024
 549     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Queens Quay Woonerf

confusion

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm excited for this. I think Toronto could be such a vibrant city if it was to introduce more woonerf's (Pedestrian/Bike traffic prioritizes over cars on one street, max limit approx 10km/h for cars and bikes). It's the type of relationship I think is needed between the 3 main transportation types in our city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woonerf
http://www.thestar.com/GTA/Columnist/article/555702

Queens Quay future looks brighter than ever
Dec 18, 2008 04:30 AM
Christopher Hume

No one could accuse Chris Glaisek of lacking ambition. If he gets his way, it's only a matter of time before Queens Quay becomes the most beautiful street in Toronto, and more than that, one of the most beautiful streets in the world.

"I'm really excited," says Glaisek, vice-president of development at Waterfront Toronto, the agency overseeing the revitalization of 800 hectares on the shores of Lake Ontario.

"Queens Quay will become as famous as Las Ramblas in Barcelona; people will come from all over the world to see it."

Glaisek is not a man given to hyperbole, and after having spent years going mano a mano with traffic engineers, safety enforcers, architects, public works officials and politicians, the mere fact he continues to dream – and dream so big – should be reassuring.

Despite public perception that nothing ever happens on the waterfront, the fact is that a lot is going on. Just this week, the board of Waterfront Toronto approved a bold $181 million scheme to remake Queens Quay from Jarvis St. east to Parliament St.

The plan, designed by Adriaan Geuze of West 8, one of the most sought-after landscape architects in the world, calls for a complete remake of the precinct. By extension, it also proposes a whole new approach to urban infrastructure in Toronto.

The key is integration. That sounds simple, and in many ways it is. The problem has traditionally been a public works mentality that sees infrastructure as little more than a series of engineering problems.

In the 21st century, however, that no longer suffices; the idea now is to introduce other disciplines into the design process to create a different kind of infrastructure that serves its purpose as it provides pleasure.

"We've worked hard with the city," says Glaisek. "Things have evolved nicely."

Indeed, he has managed to get the city to approve Toronto's first woonerf. In case you've forgotten, that's one of those roads where vehicular and pedestrian traffic share space equally. The concept was pioneered in Holland, where, despite the lack of street signs, it works brilliantly.

So far, the city has only approved woonerfs for the residential neighbourhood to be built in the West Don Lands. The woonerfs Glaisek wants in the East Bayfront must wait for the time being.

But the critical thing is that change has come to the civic bureaucracy.

"I really do think the city is changing and becoming sensitized to urban design," says Glaisek.

When complete, sometime in 2010, Queens Quay will be a two-lane road (down from four) with a grass-covered right-of-way for streetcars. New granite paving will be installed on an expansive tree-lined boulevard that extends along the south side of the street.

An 18-metre-wide water's edge promenade, made of wood and granite, will hug the shoreline. Extra space on the far side should allow for outdoor cafés and the like.

Just beneath the pathway, an innovative stormwater treatment system will collect and clean rain before it is pumped back into the lake. According to Glaisek, the system costs $50 million to $100 million less than conventional methods and does a better job.

Ironically, the result is that Waterfront Toronto finds itself in an enviable situation where its focus on infrastructure has acquired sudden urgency.

If it's true that public infrastructure spending is the most effective way out of a looming depression, Glaisek and his colleagues are setting an excellent example way out in front of the curve.

The significance of Waterfront Toronto's efforts lies in a realization that the infrastructure is the city and the city is its infrastructure. To build one is to build the other.

Christopher Hume can be reached at chume@thestar.ca

Yup. The Waterfront (Spadina Head of Slip) thread covers some of this material, but completely agree that we should be doing this in more and more places. Of course only where ideal on certain streets, but it is a great concept!

Oh boy, the traffic issues after big events at the skydome are gonna be amplified on QQ, I hope they have something planned...

Kitsune, I've seen QQ very busy when the fireworks are happening on the waterfront as well, so it doesn't handle traffic adequately now anyways. This may sound harsh, but I'd rather not design an entire city to cope with car jams that occur only sporadically. The people who drive on QQ after a game will have to spend an extra 10 or 15 minutes getting home afterwards.

Kitsune, I've seen QQ very busy when the fireworks are happening on the waterfront as well, so it doesn't handle traffic adequately now anyways. This may sound harsh, but I'd rather not design an entire city to cope with car jams that occur only sporadically. The people who drive on QQ after a game will have to spend an extra 10 or 15 minutes getting home afterwards.

They can take the streetcar, after all QQ is the only place where transit signal priority is actually turned on, and its actually very efficient.

EDIT: if it were a wonnerf, do the same 10km/h and pedestrian-first rules apply to the streetcars?? I mean that would really be annoying, and defeat the purpose.

I am a bit skeptical of 'woonerfs.' Not because they may screw up traffic or anything, I'm just skeptical how pleasant they are. I hope we get a few to try them out, but I'm still a few emotions short of optimistic. At best this will turn out like the Yonge/Dundas scramble, somehow screwed up by city staff and generally unremarkable. I can practically see it now: Hume will write an article on how it reinvents the space, CAVEs will start buzzing about how it will slow down traffic (and how there is a 'wall' of condos), city planning will start sweating like mad once some bicyclist gets run over and it generally wont change anything. Probably, after a few years of nothing happening, the city will get tired of complaints from people and shut it down. This seems like the gadgetbahn approach to road design. Conventional roads, generally, work fine. More sidewalk space is always appreciated, but this sort of seems like reinventing the wheel.

All the woonerfs I experienced in Amsterdam (and the same idea in Italy as well) were characterized by very, very low traffic volumes. They were always used in situations where there was no real through traffic, possibly with a parallel road serving that purpose. Automobile traffic would be discouraged, but permitted.

I can't think of a good comparison to anything in Toronto. I would compare it to the Sparks Street Mall in Ottawa. Imagine that Sparks Street allowed automobile traffic at all times, so even in the middle of the day a delivery to a building could happen, or someone could drive up to a store and hop in for a quick purchase. But due to low speeds and driving among pedestrians, all through traffic would stick to Wellington or Queen.

Sparks Street actually allows motorised vehicles?? I mean I undersatand Delivery vans during the night or something, but It's actually allowed?? Amazing how cars actually keep off of it!

Sparks Street actually allows motorised vehicles?? I mean I undersatand Delivery vans during the night or something, but It's actually allowed?? Amazing how cars actually keep off of it!

Sparks Street does not allow motorized vehicles, except for at night for deliveries.

EDIT: if it were a wonnerf, do the same 10km/h and pedestrian-first rules apply to the streetcars?? I mean that would really be annoying, and defeat the purpose.

Might end up looking like Chun Yeun Street in Hong Kong, a pedestrian street market that has trams running through it (Our Dundas and Spadina sort of looks like this already, with jaywalkers mixing it up with streetcars)

lrg_10806804.jpg

lrg_10806802.jpg

lrg_10853291.jpg

Back