News   Apr 24, 2024
 974     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Queen/McVean, Brampton (Kirkor Architects, 19s + 14s + 6 x 8s + 3 x 1s)

DKsan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Out on the Queen Street, massive multi-use development proposed for the northeast corner of Queen and McVean.
See here for the Brampton report.

Planned floor space for retail, office, restaurant, hotel, live-work, retirement, and residential condo units. Split into 11 buildings in the box bound by Queen Street, McVean Drive, Ebenezer Road, and Cherrycrest Drive (new minor road).

2JG97F6.png

f9QIDdD.png

A 14 storey building = hotel and retail
B 1 eight storey building = retail and office
C 1 eight storey building = retail and retirement living (split between condos and townhouses)
DE 2 eight storey buildings = retail and residential condos (split between condos and townhouses)
FGH 3 one storey buildings for restaurant uses
I 19 storey buildings = retail and residential condos
J 2 eight storey buildings = retail, residential condos, and live work units

The 14 and 19 storey buildings are above the zoning of ten storeys, but no amendment is required for the OP
Buildings DE can't be built until A, B, and a supermarket are built.
Supermarket will be built in podium of J, at Queen/Cherrycrest.
Townhouses, live-work will be on northern portion of the site.
2085 parking spaces proposed, city requires 2343.
Developer will be required to pay for shelter, bus pads on Queen, Ebenezer, McVean.

Strange, mostly because the surrounding area is a mix of light industrial, commercial (banquet centre, retail), low and low-medium density residential as well as the conservation area, which makes the McVean/Gore Road area feel cut off from the rest of Brampton.

It does look like a nice use of an odd shaped parcel of land though.....I notice that the houses to the north of the site have resale values in the 600k range...which for Brampton is at the high end and there was a fairly well signed petition against this project so I expect that we will get a bit of Nimbyism here but it does seem like the right sort of project for this section of Queen which (by the time it is built) will be a fairly short BRT ride from a subway station.

This is a very prime area in Brampton because it has a direct connection (via Zum BRT)to the future Vaughan Metropolitan Centre subway station. It is very close to both the 427 and the 407 which makes it very attractive in terms of mobility. This is also the closest part of Brampton to Toronto and Vaughan so its good to see this type of a mixed used development being proposed here. This parcel of land is actually quite large and prominent because it is located right at the point where Queen Street (Highway 7) makes a significant curve. There are executive homes in the golf course community north of Ebenezer- which have resale values well over $800,000....so there was obvious NIMBISM towards the initial proposal which sought over 1000 units with Three 20-storey buildings instead of one 19-storey tower. I think this revised plan fits really well with the area and provides a precedent to the other underutilized parts east of McVean Drive to Highway 50 that are dying to be redeveloped.

I just hope that this goes through...I dont want it to end up like that plot of land at the Southwest corner of the The Gore Road and Queen Street which -although is a prominent transit rich intersection- was destroyed by developing massive estate homes. Such a shame!

Anyways, lets hope that the architecture is at least interesting. The confluence of the Queen/McVean/Ebenezer intersection creates and interesting area for developing a signature flatiron-type building. I'm not going to hold my breath for that though....Im just hoping that this will not be developed into a commercial plaza as initially planned. :D

The petition against this proposed development was based on three main points: 1) It was zoned commercial - not residential and residents bought into the area expecting an increase in amenities as the area grew and developed; 2) The schools haven't begun to come close to meeting the needs of the current residents - most children from the area are bussed far away to various schools in Brampton. Increased residential population can't be accommodated until more schools are built; 3) The developer, Townwood (who is to profit from developing this parcel of land) marketed and sold the executive homes surrounding the golf course based on the low density neighbourhood and the zoning at the time.

yea, I was reading up on this, and though the same thing that they got conditional approval, but that was wayyy back. and then nothing.

I saw the land was up for sale a few week back, so that got me searching again. A plaza would be nice there.

There appeared to be some movement in 2020:

SPA-2020-0084

Approval of Master Site Plan for a 4-phased mixed use development consisting of 10 proposed buildings comprised of office, hotel, retail, restaurant, supermarket, live/work, seniors retirement and residential condominium apartment uses.

SPA-2020-0085

Approval of Phase 1 Full Site Plan Application for one(1)-storey Restaurant/Retail Building "G" and 19-storey Residential Building "J" . The Phase 1 development have a total site area of 1.03 hectares.

No documents on either file though.

Back