News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 823     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     0 

QEW Credit River Bridge threatened

^Maybe Minister Mulroney had her armoured collumn stop for an inspection on her way back from Hamilton.

- Paul

One might reasonably infer that if you want to know what policy this government will implement, wait for the announcement, then assume it will be the opposite of that in 2-6 months.

Pretty stupid.

Now anyone who goes under will see one really old arch bridge and a new modern bridge and they don't match at all.
Gee!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>That can be seen today for the Lakeshore line bridges in Port Credit, so what. It has more history than this bridge and that bridge will be block from view once the 4th track is built.

The only way you would see the existing 2 track bridge as well this bridge is by boat or walking under it on a trail. How many of them look at the bridges in the first place????

Ford government backs down again.

News Release
Ontario Preserving Historic Bridge in Mississauga
December 18, 2019
Province will rehabilitate the QEW bridge over Credit River
Ontario's government is moving forward with rehabilitating the bridge on the Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) over the Credit River in Mississauga.
Earlier this year, the province committed to funding the rehabilitation of the bridge on the QEW over the Credit River in Mississauga and to ensure value for money by inviting Infrastructure Ontario to review options for the project.
In November, the government published options for the project and invited feedback from the public. Based on the feedback received, the government made the decision to preserve the original heritage structure of the bridge.
In addition to rehabilitating the existing bridge, the project will also include a new north bridge structure and accommodate the City of Mississauga's active transportation plan and improvements to the QEW/Mississauga Road interchange.
"Our government has listened to the people of Mississauga and we will only seek bids that involve the preservation and rehabilitation of the existing Credit River bridge on the QEW," said Kinga Surma, Associate Minister of Transportation. "We will be moving forward with rehabilitation of the bridge as announced in April."
"This is a government that listens to local communities and values their input on important projects like this," said Rudy Cuzzetto, MPP for Mississauga-Lakeshore. "At over 80 years old, this bridge needs major rehabilitation now, to ensure it remains safe for the public. However, we recognize it is both a provincially significant heritage bridge, and a symbol of the Credit River Valley, and I'm very proud of our commitment to preserve it."
"Building this critical infrastructure project is crucial to ensure we can move people and goods across our region," said Kaleed Rasheed, MPP for Mississauga East-Cooksville. "I am glad to hear that the project will go ahead while maintaining the Credit River bridge."
"We heard from local community groups that rehabilitating the QEW Credit River bridge was important," said Natalia Kusendova, MPP for Mississauga Centre. "Now, we can move forward with a plan that preserves this heritage structure, while improving our provincial highway system."

QUICK FACTS
  • The QEW Credit River bridge was built in 1934 and has been designated by the province as a heritage property under the Ontario Heritage Act.
  • On April 25, 2019, Ontario announced funding to rehabilitate the bridge over Credit River on the QEW.

Fantastic!

Interesting. Makes me wonder what the cost difference was.

The replacement bridge did seem to cut a year or so off the construction time, which is significant. Wonder how much cheaper it was.

I understand that the bridge had a lot of heritage elements to it, but it still strikes me more as a "Heritage for heritage sake" type project.

So a while back we got into a sidetrack discussion about the potential for the Credit Valley Trail (bike path/hiking trail) to be extended through this area.

Upon doing some digging.........there is already an optimum route mapped out by Credit Valley Conservation.

1576789032769.png

A slightly more close-up version of the area in question:

1576789110253.png

That comes from this document: The Credit Valley Trail Strategy:

In service of said plan, they are currently fundraising to by the first 44 acres in the strategy (well north of Brampton/Caledon).

The details and link to donations is here: http://www.cvcfoundation.ca/capstone/

The piece of property aerial/map/infographic is below:

1576789278513.png

Whimsically or not, I'm wondering if Mayor Bonnie snitched to Hazel, who gave DoFo the ultimatum...

It'd seem that the horizontal structure, which I *thought* was a pipeline thing, is actually reinforcement for the 1960 widening.

It'd seem that the horizontal structure, which I *thought* was a pipeline thing, is actually reinforcement for the 1960 widening.
Sorry - actually it's a work platform that was put up under the bridge in ~2010 when the underside of the bridge deck was strengthened.
It was left in place in case any farther repairs were needed.
Also, the 1960 widening is on the outside - so not really accessible from this platform.

Sorry - actually it's a work platform that was put up under the bridge in ~2010 when the underside of the bridge deck was strengthened.
It was left in place in case any farther repairs were needed.
Also, the 1960 widening is on the outside - so not really accessible from this platform.

Thanks.

Contract Awarded for QEW / Credit River Improvement Project
December 15, 2020
Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) have awarded a fixed-price contract of $313.8 million to EllisDon and Coco Paving (EDCO) to design, build and finance the QEW / Credit River Improvement project.
The EDCO team includes:
  • Developer: EllisDon Capital Inc. and Coco Paving Inc.
  • Constructors: EllisDon Capital Inc. and Coco Paving Inc.
  • Designers: AECOM Canada Ltd.
  • Financial: EllisDon Capital Inc
The QEW / Credit River Improvement project underwent an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third-party fairness advisor. EDCO submitted the proposal, which delivers the best value for Ontario taxpayers.
The project is being delivered through IO’s design, build and finance Public-Private Partnership (P3) model, which transfers appropriate risks associated with design, construction and financing of the project to the private sector.
EDCO will begin with design work, with construction expected to start in early 2021. Travellers can expect to have full use of the improved highway by mid-2025.
EDCO estimates the majority of the labour will come from the Greater Toronto Area. There will be approximately 150 workers on site at the peak of construction.
Visit here to learn more about the project.

This project started a couple of weeks ago with the clear cutting of trees on the north and south side of the QEW. Paving the shoulders for lane realignment is underway. Photo from last night.

Looking east just west of where Mississauga road curves to head under the QEW. Downtown Port Credit (is there such a thing?) visible in upper right.

QEWMSRDMay1521_01.jpg

The QEW looks dead in that shot. I can’t remember ever seeing traffic that light in this stretch.

it’s good to see this get going though. I never thought this would start before the Dixie interchange would.

Back