News   Jul 31, 2024
 485     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 645     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 503     0 

Q: Has this "recession" caused you to stop going out?

L

LisainToronto

Just curious if people are scaling back where they go ... I know I never liked paying $10.00 a beer ... but now I have an excuse not to!

My thinking is people with money will keep going out, just now instead of Canoe, it will be the local Firkin.

If I might quote the Virgin billboard at Dundas Square, "Screw the recession!":p

Nothing worse than paying over $10.00 a beer. I know a friend of mine works at a fancy hotel bar downtown, he say's it's been one of the slowest years he has ever seen he has worked there 30 years. I still try to go out a once a or twice a week for dinner and drinks. Worst part is we have lost some great restaurants this past year, i fear we are going to lose more this year :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious if people are scaling back where they go ... I know I never liked paying $10.00 a beer ... but now I have an excuse not to!

My thinking is people with money will keep going out, just now instead of Canoe, it will be the local Firkin.

Well, the Firkin is an economical solution if you feel you must get out. Some of my friends invite friends over and drink at home and watch tv or have a 'movie night'. Way cheaper, but if they don't leave it can get on your nerves.:)

No, hasn't changed things at all. Not exactly frequent, but done often enough. At times living in a condo can encourage going out. :)

without a doubt, not just the frequency but when i go out it's now at cheaper places. frugal is the new black. when the bad news percolates, everyone tightens up.

Why cheap-out on going out? It's supposed to a good experience, so personally I see no need to go out to less interesting or desirable places to save a few bucks.

One of the keys to getting out of the recession is convincing the 90% who don't lose their jobs (assuming we started at 5% unemployed and that grows to 10% - which is a very pessimistic outlook) that they do not need to act like the 5% who do lose their jobs.

If everyone acts like they have been made redundant....it will become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy!

One of the keys to getting out of the recession is convincing the 90% who don't lose their jobs (assuming we started at 5% unemployed and that grows to 10% - which is a very pessimistic outlook) that they do not need to act like the 5% who do lose their jobs.

If everyone acts like they have been made redundant....it will become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy!

Precisely my thoughts.

Back