News   Apr 18, 2024
 582     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Puglies 2008: People's Choice Awards for Architecture

Winners were announced and I'm shocked at some of these rankings.

Link: http://www.pugawards.com/download/PR_PugAwards_WINNERS.pdf

Here are the rankings:

1. Argyle Authentic Lofts Residential 91.4%
2. Broadview Lofts Residential 69.3%
3. Residences of College Park 1 Residential 52.3%
4. The Met Residential 52.3%
5. 533 Richmond Residential 52.1%
6. 20 Stewart Residential 51.0%
7. Spire Residential 46.5%
8. One City Hall Residential 44.6%
9. 22 Condominiums Residential 42.0% 9
10. Windermere by the Lake Residential 41.5%
11. Quantum 1 – South Tower Residential 41.4%
12. Infinity Condominiums 1 Residential 38.3%
13. Wellington on the Park Residential 36.5%
14. Element Residential 27.1%
15. Pinnacle Centre – Tower 2 Residential 25.8%
16. N2 Residential 20.8%
17. Battery Park Residential 15.2%
18. 76 Shuter Residential 14.7%

1. Hazelton Hotel 68.9%
2. ROM – Michael Lee-Chin Crystal 62%
3. Marriott Residence inn 20.4%

ROCP1 came in 3rd place for residential with 52% of positive votes (tied with Met). I cannot believe it ranked that high and so far above Quantum and Spire. I'm surprised the N2 is below Element, Infinity and Pinnacle. I'm surprised Infinity didn't come in last.

On the commercial/institution side, I assume that Hazelton was the benefactor of the polarized voting for the ROM. I personally like Hazelton but I couldn't have ranked it 3rd overall of positive votes. Interesting outcomes.

ROCP beat Spire? I'm stunned.

We would have seen some drastically different results if there was a sliding scale instead of simply loving it or hating it. I think a lot of the better buildings would have risen to the top based on more very high ratings, while buildings like ROCP would have fallen somewhere closer to the middle.

The real reason there's so much shlock in Toronto is precisely people's general tastes, not planning. If it were truly planning our urban form would be easy to fix. I'm so frustrated to live here. Toronto consistently does not achieve its potential.

There's no doubt Spire should be within the top three when including authentic loft conversions, and first if only new buildings are counted.

On the commercial/institution side, I assume that Hazelton was the benefactor of the polarized voting for the ROM. I personally like Hazelton but I couldn't have ranked it 3rd overall of positive votes. Interesting outcomes.

Maybe a subtler factor with the Hazelton is how it opened in time to be a fulcrum of the TIFF scene...

This should come as no surprise you see. Who do you think was the capital partner in the ROCP?

This guy?
ROBOT_DEVIL.JPG

Not surprised at the senseless results.

It raises an interesting question, though. How much democracy is good when it comes to planning and architecture? I realize that this can't be escaped in a market economy, but it can be mitigated by stricter design standards, review panels, and such.

After all, Paris, seen by many as the most beautiful city in the world, was designed in a thoroughly authoritarian fashion according to strict formulas.

Back