News   Apr 19, 2024
 679     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 636     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Protecting the Perception of Safety on Mississauga Transit

Re: Protecting the Perception of Safety on Mississauga Trans

Congrats, FM! This is precisely the kind of thing people tend to be most cynical about and I'm truly amazed that writing a letter to the city was so effective.

Now if only they can catch the kids who've been smashing the bus shelters on Mississauga Valley Blvd for the last few months...

Re: Protecting the Perception of Safety on Mississauga Trans

Ha, I have smashed a few bus shelters myself, when I wait 2 hours for a bus that doesn't come, or when there is a sign at the bus stop that tells me to wait at a temporary bus stop instead and the dumbass bus driver doesn't stop for me.

A Letter from Mayor McCallion

June 26, 2006
Our File : D.01

Dear Mr. Mercader:

Thank you for your e-mail dated June 12, 2006 with respect to firecrackers being set-off by students travelling with Mississauga Transit. I referred your e-mail to Bill Cunningham, Director of Mississauga Transit, and have received the following information.

Mississauga Transit staff interviewed the operators who were due at Hurontario and Mineola on the day you indicated (Friday, June 9, 2006) and were advised that there were two occasions where firecrackers were exploded. One incident took place on Friday, June 9, 2006 and another on Monday, June 12, 2006. It was further indicated that on neither occasion were the firecrackers set-off on the bus and that at no time was the safety of either the passengers or the operators in jeopardy.

On Friday, June 9 2006, the operator saw the first firecracker being set-off before the students boarded the bus. The second firecracker was set-off at Dundas Street, again off the bus. The operator was discharging passengers at the time and therefore closed the rear door and asked who had the firecrackers. The students that were still attempting to disembark indicated that those responsible had already left the bus.

Staff have contacted Port Credit Secondary School to ask for assistance in addressing this with their student body. Subsequently, Transit's Supervisor of Service Delivery has monitored the stop to ensure there were no further concerns. He reported that the students have been boarding the bus quietly and have not given any indication of creating problems. Route Supervision will continue to monitor this stop occasionally.

I can assure you that Mississauga Transit takes the issue of safety for both passengers and operators very seriously. In responding to these incidents staff have requested assistance from the school, spoken directly to the students who may have been involved, and will continue to monitor this location to ensure there are no further problems. I trust that this information addresses your inquiry.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

Sincerely,

HAZEL McCALLION, C.M.
MAYOR

cc:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Martin Powell, Commissioner, Transportation and Works&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Bill Cunningham, Director, Mississauga Transit

Back