2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 569     0 

Proposed transit hubs may shun cars

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposed transit hubs may shun cars
GTA transportation agency considers terminals with amenities for buses, pedestrians and cyclists
Jan 28, 2008 04:30 AM
Tess Kalinowski
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

What would Monday morning feel like if, instead of jumping in the car, you hopped on your bike and rode a couple of kilometres on a safe, treed path to the GO station?

What if you could then lock your bike in a secure storage facility, grab a shower and change your clothes in a clean, staffed locker room? Refreshed, you could then head to the WIFI lounge, order a coffee and check your email while you wait for your train.

That's the kind of transit terminal the Toronto area's transportation agency is considering for development around the region.

Metrolinx thinks more car-bound suburbanites might be persuaded to use transit if the stations were turned into mobility hubs that create a convenient and pleasurable experience (as opposed to the merely functional environment of so many current transit stations).

The hubs would be places where bus, pedestrian and bike traffic intersect with one or more forms of higher order transit such as subways, trains and streetcars.

They would offer upgraded, lighting, signage and weather protection, customer amenities and the best ones would be part of clusters of office, retail and residential development.

"I'm hopeful people will see the advantage of having more really accessible places in the region where you have a combination of good transit and quite a substantial amount of development," said Joe Berridge, a consultant with Urban Strategies Inc. who has been developing the concept for Metrolinx.

But the vision Berridge describes would mean changes in the way stations and the land surrounding them are used.

Existing transit hubs tend to be surrounded by vast parking lots, he said.

Those sprawling car parks would have to give way to paid parking structures that give priority to higher occupancy vehicles.

The acres of parking that surround many suburban transit stations discourage riders from walking or biking to their stop even if they live or work within 5 kilometres.

That land would be better used to build homes and offices that have been located near major 400-series highways.

To work, these mobility hubs would have to be built at the same time rail systems and bus services are expanded, and pedestrian and bike amenities are introduced so people truly feel they have an option, said Berridge.

He suggests that several hub sites be identified and developed to prove their effectiveness.

One suggested site could be an area north of Eglinton Ave. near Renforth Dr. near the airport that will eventually "be a knuckle on the transport system," said Berridge.

It's the spot Mississauga's planned bus rapid transit and the TTC's new Transit City light rail line would intersect and it could draw people from the high-occupancy vehicle lanes planned for nearby Highway 427.

The Oakville GO station, Mississauga City Centre, the Vaughan Corporate Centre, Markham Centre and Langstaff Rd. at Yonge St. are already in varying stages of development but have good potential as mobility hubs, said Berridge.

"If you think about suburban New York, London and Paris. Around those suburban rail stations, you get those clusters (of retail) where you can pick up groceries, a newspaper or flowers," he said.

Mobility hubs would also facilitate another trend Metrolinx wants to kick-start – more active transportation.

The agency is discussing ways in which biking and walking could be seen as functional rather than purely recreational activities. Building safe, well-lit routes for pedestrians and cyclists would encourage that shift, said Brian Hollingsworth, a Metrolinx consultant.

In addition to lowering greenhouse gasses, active transportation would make us healthier and reduce health care costs, he said.

There are 1.5 million trips of less than 30 minutes in the Toronto area that could be made by active transportation, he said. The discussions of mobility hubs and active transportation are among a series of green papers Metrolinx is releasing before it embarks on public consultations for its regional transportation plan, expected to be drafted by the spring.

Does anyone really want to shower at the train station rather than at home?

Does anyone really want to shower at the train station rather than at home?

Not necessarily, but the region of peel is providing showers for cyclists in their HQ expansion currently under construction. It can work, as long as its not nasty.

I'll have to have a look at that Spacing feature.

My point though, is that shunning cars is a ridiculous idea. If the idea is to encourage people to take transit, it must be convienient. Making life difficult for the majority of potential users is not going to achieve the goal of getting more people on transit.

I'll have to have a look at that Spacing feature.

My point though, is that shunning cars is a ridiculous idea. If the idea is to encourage people to take transit, it must be convienient. Making life difficult for the majority of potential users is not going to achieve the goal of getting more people on transit.

Well, I think the whole point of creating a mobility hub is that you won't need a car. People will be able to live, work, shop and play all within a few blocks. High frequency transit will be there to connect to other mobility hubs which have other services that residents might need.

Think of a mobility hub as downtown Toronto crammed into a few blocks around a transit station. Many who live downtown don't use cars at all, but car shares would have to be available for those odd trips.

I guess that when it breaks down to it, mobility hubs only really call for multi-use intensification around transit terminals.

I'm rambling, aren't I?

I guess that when it breaks down to it, mobility hubs only really call for multi-use intensification around transit terminals.

I'm rambling, aren't I?

Not at all rambling.

I suppose that concept is great if the transit connections were in place to allow people a simple "one bus to the hub" solution. Or if the distance was well within reasonable cycling distance. I think the trouble starts when we through in multiple bus connections or a long distance. If that is the case, I expect people would much rather drive to the hub and then continue their journey.

Certainly development around these hubs should encourage people to live in walking distance, but there is still all the pre-existing housing that has to be considered. How likley is it that an average suburban commuter would switch from the relative convienience of their car to take 3 buses, or bike for say 5km, in order to get on a lrt/subway/GO?

Don't get me wrong, I think the idea of these hubs is great, but I think we have to realistically consider what is going to get people to use them and develop an implementation strategy around those considerations. Which leads me to conclude that unless there is plenty of parking (not necessarily in unsightly above gorund lots), people will continue to get in their car and drive the whole way rather than using transit for a significant portion of their journey.

I fully agree with you. We have to build the links to allow people to ride transit from their homes to their destinations. This means running buses into neighbourhoods - something that may be controversial in more exclusive neighbourhoods but I hope is changing as time goes in.

If nothing at all, a mobility hub will allow people to do their shopping right off of the train, rather than having them drive to the grocery store before continuing on to their homes.

How is this idea new? There are many subway stations that already have a setup like this. Eglinton Station is a perfect example of how you can buy food, pick up a prescription, go to the gym, LCBO, bank, or movie theatre on your way home. College and St. Clair Stations are other good examples.

For more suburban transit hubs, I think that provisions have got to me made for cars, otherwise a large portion of area residents will not have a means of getting to the train or subway station. There should certainly be policies in place that limit all new growth to transit hubs, however for the 90% of existing residents, walking, biking, or busing it to the station may not be feasible.

No, this idea isn't new. But, I think that putting it in the Metrolinx RTP will help tie transportation planning to land use planning.

In Vancouver, one of the conditions of funding for new rapid transit is agreements that the city must re-zone to intensity around the proposed stations. We need these concrete policies or we risk building every future subway station and transit terminal ending up like Glencairn.

I'll be happy if all the parking is underground, but I think the parking issue is clouding what the mobility hubs concept is really about - intensification around transit terminals.

How is this idea new? There are many subway stations that already have a setup like this. Eglinton Station is a perfect example of how you can buy food, pick up a prescription, go to the gym, LCBO, bank, or movie theatre on your way home.
Yes, but unlike downtown stations, you have to pay an extra fare to do so (at least when the bust terminal operates).

I get the sense that the folks that want these non-car transit hubs are designing them for the city they would like to see (as opposed to what is), which is where everyone lives in dense, tightly populated, multi-story low-rise units, walks or cycles everywhere, where car ownership is rare, and where people live near their work, where it's not only "enthusiasts" that cycle in the winter, etc....

Well....this isn't f#cking Amsterdam, Copenhagen or whatever Euro'topia they're seeking. This is Ontario, where people do not want, generally, to live in dense areas, where people, as soon as they turn 16 want a car, where near every family has at least one car, and where people do not live anywhere near their work. These transit ideas are based, not on how people in Ontario actually live, but how some Euro-idealogue planners think they SHOULD live.

How about we build transit for the people who will actually use it? Let's start with large parking lots, with free parking, to attract the thousands of commuters you want off the highways, taking GO Trains instead. Next, make the trains run both ways, not just downtown in the AM and to the 'burbs in the PM. People work odd hours now, and all over the city, including on Sundays - so give them the ability to take affordable, well serviced transit instead of their cars.

Back