News   Mar 28, 2024
 706     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 484     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 796     0 

Proposed renaming of Dundas Street

We could always just make up names that have no real meaning.

I'm good with that too!

1628095168482.png

Works for me. Oak Street, First Avenue, A Street, Lovely Lane ... I'm good with anything like that!
Likewise. Why not open our streets up to the names of local flora/fauna.

Rather seriously, I'm in favour of renaming Dundas in honour of our most iconic fauna, as "Raccoon Street". They're ubiquitous across the whole city, are now strongly tied with Toronto and make for more interesting business names.

Rather seriously, I'm in favour of renaming Dundas in honour of our most iconic fauna, as "Raccoon Street". They're ubiquitous across the whole city, are now strongly tied with Toronto and make for more interesting business names.

Unacceptable. You might trigger people with a raccoon phobia.

Why not something that exists across the city? Pigeon Shit West and Pigeon Shit East. "Meet me at Pigeon Shit and Parliament"?

Why not something that exists across the city? Pigeon Shit West and Pigeon Shit East. "Meet me at Pigeon Shit and Parliament"?
September 1, 1914, the last passenger pigeon died.

passenger-pigeons.jpg

From link.
Passenger pigeons once numbered between three billion and five billion in North America as recently as the 19th century. They were similar in size to pigeons we see today, but orange and brown in colour. They lived in Canada and the U.S. east of the Rocky Mountains. Passenger pigeon flocks were so large, people noted the birds would block out the sun when they flew by, and would take several hours to pass. But over just a few decades, the population was driven to extinction, and scientists now believe that the enormous size of the flocks may have played a role in their demise.

The very last passenger pigeon — a female named Martha — died in the Cincinnati Zoo in 1914.

Back