News   Apr 18, 2024
 370     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 427     0 

Proposed GO Transit Purchase of O-Train vehicles

Yes, several businesses in the Orangeville area. They formed a co-operative that pays for most of the maintenance on the line. The City of Barrie owns its railway line north of Bradford...

If GO did do this I'd like to see them look hard at extending to Uxbridge, although this may involve purchasing additional sets - existing bus pax from Uxbridge would then only have one change to make at Scarborough rather than 2.

^This may be an option for the line in the near future but I can't see them doing that until they have had a few years of experimentation with the Talents so that they can better decide how to proceed with the line. I think its important to remember that they are in their second year of a 10 year upgrade and expansion program. I think outisde of maybe a few additional projects (such as the Talent project) GO is not likely to announce or undertake another set of projects until the end of this 10 year program is coming to an end.

antiloop - fair enough but I think GO should announce the intent to study it so that GO commuters in the Uxbridge areas can start leaning on their MPs/MPPs to ensure extra cap funding if GO thinks it can be made work.

If it looks good, it's a quick go ahead, if not, it's not.

mark - To a certain extent they allready have announced it. By purchasing that section of line it is in itself an indicator that expansion to Uxbridge is on GO's agenda.

I don't expect an announcement about the Talents for a little while yet since Ottawa will still have to establish its timetable and know specific dates before anything is signed in writing, then giving GO the chance to make their intentions known. There is also the chance this has been a somewhat quick decision and GO themselves may need time to develop their plans for the Talents.

I have a feeling that once this project is announced, it will fuel not just more support from those in Uxbridge and other areas along the line, but support from across the GTA. Its something that just makes sense and I would think it will push the issue of transit into a discussion that is a little deeper than the usual 'subway. subway. subway.' chants.

I think GO purchased the Stouffville-Uxbridge segment to protect it from abandonment. It will take a fair number of years before any GO train service will go that far, in the meantime, the York-Durham railway has a 50s diesel trainset making public excurisons. I don't think putting up the Talents all the way to Uxbridge would make sense, perhaps Mount Joy is the logical terminus right now, though the extra transfer will be a pain.

The Bradford-Barrie segment of track was purchased by the province through Ontario Northland Railways to protect it as CN was going to rip up the entire track between Bradford and Washago, that was over 10 years ago.

don't think putting up the Talents all the way to Uxbridge would make sense,

From what I understand the segment that is used by the tourist train would need to be upgraded under any circumstance. That portion is not even continuous welded rail, and as Ottawa saw when it first started running the talents on the line before welding took place, the wheels on the Talents become damaged very fast, the ride was not as smooth, and speeds became limited. The extra transfer for those passengers from Uxbridge is unfortunate, but that probably wont change until GO has ran Talents on the line for a few years and has a better sense of what it's plans are.

I'd be surprised if they extend GO to Uxbridge any time soon; I can't imagine more than a hundred people drive from there to get on the train at Stouffville right now.

Back