News   Apr 16, 2024
 563     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 440     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 797     0 

Pret A Manger coming to Canada!

According to the Guardian today, Pret a Manger is in danger of going tits up.

Article is here: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/feb/18/pret-a-manger-future-in-balance-cash-call-covid

A quick skim makes me feel that they'll likely be fine (but ya never know).
Their stores are now at 93% of pre-pandemic trade levels.
That's not too bad.

The international expansion kick (Canada is not the only place Pret aims to spread to) appears to be aimed at improving the bottom line.

We shall see.

Has anyone seen any Pret product appear in A&W locations?

I don't understand why they are introducing the brand to Canada in this way. A 2 year pilot is way too long, and they should have just opened a proper stand-alone Pret. It didn't need to be a large one with tones of seating (at least at first), and they could have easily done the smaller "grab-and-go" format, especially ay busy transit hubs. This isn't how to experience the Pret brand. Time will tell how this odd pairing works out, and how they will measure "success" in order to role out stand-alone stores across the country.

I don't understand why they are introducing the brand to Canada in this way. A 2 year pilot is way too long, and they should have just opened a proper stand-alone Pret. It didn't need to be a large one with tones of seating (at least at first), and they could have easily done the smaller "grab-and-go" format, especially ay busy transit hubs. This isn't how to experience the Pret brand. Time will tell how this odd pairing works out, and how they will measure "success" in order to role out stand-alone stores across the country.

Pilot coming to Toronto ....... not quite yet...........but it's in the works.

Pilot coming to Toronto ....... not quite yet...........but its in the works.
Yes saw the Curiocity Toronto story as well regarding the Toronto launch very soon.

A few more bits 'n bobs..........

Retail-Insider covers the Pret story on its podcast this week:

A local Vancouver based blog also has a take:

A couple of pics from the above w/credit embedded:

1659059328468.png

1659059352625.png

1659059399637.png

Also one image from the Retail-Insider story linked in a couple of posts up:

1659059471731.png

pre-made sandwiches ... yum ...

That display above reminds me a lot of a small restaurant chain called Picnic; they were below 60 Bloor West, further east on Bloor near Church and at the Exchange Tower I think. Pre-made sandwiches and salads, etc. It was quite good but they didn't survive the pandemic as far as I can tell.

I went today to the A&W at Mercer & John. An o.k. selection of sandwiches and *freshly baked* goods, but disappointed to see no espresso-based coffees. Just drip. The whole amalgamation of these two distinct brands is quite the mess and I truly hope it is temporary.

Back