News   Mar 28, 2024
 62     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 545     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 352     0 

Pret A Manger coming to Canada!

Huh. Unfortunately, it seems like this may be the case based on comments from A&W’s CEO in this article:

Susan Senecal, President and CEO of A&W, said the partnership with Pret allows the foodservice giant to test offering the best of Pret at A&W restaurants in about 12 to 15 locations starting in 2022 “to introduce Canadians to the great taste, the great ingredients and the great products that Pret offers.”

“We’re still in the early part of development of exactly how it’s going to look and that will come to life as we start to introduce this in the year to come. We want to give a piece of the experience as well. So it will be not only products but experience and we’ll have some dedicated areas that will really feature the menu items from Pret so that people can easily pick them up and get ready for their day.”

That's setting it up to fail. It's like those stupid Freshii displays at the last places that should carry them.

AoD

That's setting it up to fail. It's like those stupid Freshii displays at the last places that should carry them.

AoD

I agree that it would be, if that's the main thrust; I think it might function as an add-on, so long as the focus is stand-alone Pret.

Now, are you and @ADRM going to make your thoughts known where it counts?

Susan Senecal, the CEO of A & W has a reputation as accessible.

Why not email her: ssenecal@aw.ca (haven't tried that, but pretty sure its right)

Or you could be less ambitious and just use their normal contact page.............

More on where A&W is headed with Pret.

It appears they are treating the initial offering as 'pop-ups' which will indeed be inside A&W locations.

Though the clear suggestion is that these will be more than a 'rack'/fridge; rather, a section w/its own decor/feel. Given how small most A&Ws are.....that seems a challenge to me........but we shall see what they have in mind!

From the above:

1636444930476.png

More on where A&W is headed with Pret.

It appears they are treating the initial offering as 'pop-ups' which will indeed be inside A&W locations.

Though the clear suggestion is that these will be more than a 'rack'/fridge; rather, a section w/its own decor/feel. Given how small most A&Ws are.....that seems a challenge to me........but we shall see what they have in mind!

From the above:

View attachment 361709

All while I can smell the bacon, burger and fries. What a charming differentiation.

AoD

I’ve tried it twice. Once in London and once in Paris and both times it hit the spot. I’m typically not a counter/fridge sandwich person.
They cant just have a fridge. They need to open a freestanding store. Otherwise I don’t see it being successful.

That's a shockingly good deal.

AoD

Hmmm, $34CAD per month.

A regular Cappuccino there is $4CAD per cup

So if you get one drink per work day, or 20 per month, that would be $80 at regular prices, so it's a bit over 50% off.

Not bad!

Of course, the more drinks you stop in for, the better the deal gets!

Hmmm, $34CAD per month.

A regular Cappuccino there is $4CAD per cup

So if you get one drink per work day, or 20 per month, that would be $80 at regular prices, so it's a bit over 50% off.

Not bad!

Of course, the more drinks you stop in for, the better the deal gets!

Considering it includes tea and hot chocolate, and only have a 30 min cooldown period, it's a steal.

AoD

I'm sort of tired of British retailers not entering Canada properly - TopShop/TopMan through Hudson's Bay, Costa Coffee through Shell, now Pret a Manger via A&W.

Did you put in an offer for the Master Franchise rights for Canada?

LOL

That's how it's generally done these days.

When RBI peddles Tim's and BK and Popeye's around the world, they look for a local 'partner' who knows the local lay of the land, and has a supply chain and logistics operation in place.

It's relatively rare nowadays for a retailer to venture into a market of size, that is not their home market, entirely with their own capital and people.
It's a big effort and a big risk. Much more cost-effective and risk-managed to share the branding and IP with an established local group.

I realize it wasn't always done that way; and sometimes still isn't.

But if you want to know why it usually is done that way nowadays, just look at Target Canada for your answers.

PS, good to see you here again @JasonParis

Did you put in an offer for the Master Franchise rights for Canada?

LOL

That's how it's generally done these days.

When RBI peddles Tim's and BK and Popeye's around the world, they look for a local 'partner' who knows the local lay of the land, and has a supply chain and logistics operation in place.

It's relatively rare nowadays for a retailer to venture into a market of size, that is not their home market, entirely with their own capital and people.
It's a big effort and a big risk. Much more cost-effective and risk-managed to share the branding and IP with an established local group.

I realize it wasn't always done that way; and sometimes still isn't.

But if you want to know why it usually is done that way nowadays, just look at Target Canada for your answers.

PS, good to see you here again @JasonParis
I'm more referring to stores in stores, not local partners.

erly - TopShop/TopMan through Hudson's Bay, Costa Coffee through Shell, now
I'm sort of tired of British retailers not entering Canada properly - TopShop/TopMan through Hudson's Bay, Costa Coffee through Shell, now Pret a Manger via A&W.
M&S I guess did it right (I remember going into the Yorkdale store quite a bit, more for the food items and clothes for my kids when they were little).....even they didn't last.

I can't imagine someone wanting to spend $10 or more dollars on a sandwich that's already pre made, ( and who knows when it was pre made) when you can get something hot or fresh off of A&W's menu. This has fail written all over it.

Last edited:

Back