News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 655     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 929     0 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

ERz9SE2XsAwRRAt

Impeaching Trump is seen as a political move by most Americans like it was seen with Clinton and as a result it won't stop Trump and just emboldens him and unites the people who back him.

Impeaching Trump is seen as a political move by most Americans like it was seen with Clinton and as a result it won't stop Trump and just emboldens him and unites the people who back him.

A lot of people lose sight of the fact that is absolutely political. It starts and ends in legislative system with the only role of the judiciary is as presiding officer in the Senate hearing and, as far as I know, the only 'penalty' is loss of office. Impeachment is not unique to the US and within the US, not unique to the president.

"I'm a businessperson. I don't like having thousands of people around when you don't need them," Trump said. "When we need them, we can get them back very quickly."

You might be able to guess Trump isn't talking about the military. It seems he has different funding philosophies depending on department.

A lot of people lose sight of the fact that is absolutely political. It starts and ends in legislative system with the only role of the judiciary is as presiding officer in the Senate hearing and, as far as I know, the only 'penalty' is loss of office. Impeachment is not unique to the US and within the US, not unique to the president.
My point is that impeachment has only really worked against Richard Nixon who didn't even get impeached because it was seen as a two-party effort.

I know many people want Trump to be impeached but based on what I can see is that impeachment has been a totally pointless exercise.

Trump ‘didn’t know people died from the flu.’ It killed his grandfather.

From link.

In Atlanta on Friday, President Trump talked about the number of people infected with the novel coronavirus in other countries vs. the United States. He also compared coronavirus disease with influenza.

“Over the last long period of time, you have an average of 36,000 people dying” a year, the president said, gesturing toward National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony S. Fauci, who nodded confirmation.

Trump continued: “I never heard those numbers. I would’ve been shocked. I would’ve said, ‘Does anybody die from the flu? I didn’t know people died from the flu.’ … And again, you had a couple of years where it was over a 100,000 people died from the flu.”

The president is correct. Seasonal influenza has killed 12,000 to 61,000 people in the United States every year since 2010, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There have been several years where more than 100,000 Americans were killed by particularly nasty influenza strains.

One of those episodes was the 1958 pandemic, which killed 116,000 in the United States.

Another was 1918.

That is the year Trump’s paternal grandfather died.

He died of the flu.

In 1918, Friedrich Trump was a successful, 49-year-old businessman, husband and father of three living in Queens, according to Gwenda Blair in her 2001 book “.” One day in May, he came home from a stroll feeling sick. He died almost immediately.

He was a victim of the first wave of the Spanish flu pandemic. A second, deadlier wave hit in the fall. All told, the pandemic killed at least 50 million people worldwide and 675,000 in the United States, according to the CDC.

Friedrich’s eldest son, Frederick, was only 12 when his father died, but he and his mother would pick up the family business. It would be another 28 years before Fred and his wife would have their fourth child, a boy they named Donald.

This same grandfather’s biography has come up as a sticking point before. Friedrich came to the United States at 16 from Germany and today would be classed as an “unaccompanied alien child,” experts told The Washington Post in 2018. Trump has come under fire for his administration’s treatment of unaccompanied minors and other children from Central America trying to enter the country via the southern border.

In his 20s, Friedrich Trump made his way to the Pacific Northwest, where he made his fortune opening taverns, restaurants and hotels, usually in red-light districts, in Gold Rush-era mining towns.

He also attempted a return to Germany in his 30s but was deported because he had avoided the military draft as a teenager.

The president is at least partially aware of his grandfather’s biography. As recently as February 2019, he said in a speech, “My grandfather was up in Alaska for a long time. He was looking for gold. He was searching for gold. He didn’t find it, but he started opening up little hotels for those looking for gold. And it worked out.”

At other times, he has said erroneously that his father, not his grandfather, was born in Germany. His father was born in New York.

At the same news conference Friday where Trump appeared unaware of his grandfather’s cause of death, he cited another family member — a “super-genius uncle,” his grandfather’s youngest son — as having given him the family genes to understand the science of the coronavirus outbreak.

“People are really surprised I understand this stuff,” he said. “Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability.”

Lack of paid leave will leave millions of US workers vulnerable to coronavirus

Low-wage workers in service industries without proper medical benefits and sick leave will risk getting sick or spreading the virus

Michael Sainato
Mon 9 Mar 2020 07.30 GMT

Over 32 million workers in the US have no paid sick days off, and low-wage workers are least likely to have paid sick time. These workers are also significantly less likely to have access to healthcare and medical benefits, making them potentially especially vulnerable to the coronavirus outbreak as it spreads.

According to the latest data available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 69% of low-wage workers, those in the tenth lowest percentile of median wage earners in the US civilian workforce, do not receive paid sick leave benefits.

Hmm, I haven't reviewed my favourite U.S. stocks yet, but a quick glance at the TSX suggests some promising values.

Of course, it depends on one's time horizon for returns, as we (or at least I) can't say how deep any downturn goes, or how long it lasts.

But,, when I see top tier Canadian bank stocks trading at a P/E ratio of under 10........ (typically they trade in the 11-13 range)....

This suggests material upside potential in the medium term.

*** Yada yada, I'm not your broker, its not advice, its a personal observation and anecdote, ya takes your chances if you invest***

LOL

Whoa, get a load of the price of gold stocks though.....

A lot of other stocks remain fully priced.

Was this the night that Trump lost the election? Between the horrible handling of COVID-19 and a recession, this has to hurt. Plus, Biden is the likely Dem nominee.

Yup. I think he lost the election with his handling of this because I feel many more lives will be lost. A recession is now inevitable, the stock market which was the only thing he could boast about will tank completely. All he had was the stock market and jobs. Yea, not for long.

Back