The impeachment process will keep the bad news about Trump being heard, without the Democrats having to pay for negative commercials about the Republicans.This was a mistake for the Dems. We're 13 months away from the election result, with strong likliehood of Trump's defeat. What's to be gained by pursuing impeachment when the Senate won't convict?
One of the reader comments on the NYT today played it out....
Unfortunately, this is how it plays out
1. The House investigates and votes to impeach Trump
2. The Senate predictably does not reach the 67 votes needed to convict.
3. During the Impeachment process Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity and Trump himself say the words "Biden, corruption, Ukraine" 7,435,030 times.
4. Biden loses the nomination to Trump's preferred candidate Elizabeth Warren
5. Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and Trump himself say "Radical Harvard socialist Elizabeth Warren" 7,435,030 times.
6. Trump re-elected.