News   Apr 18, 2024
 188     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 385     0 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

I don't understand the perceived issue with shoes. I travel to the USA, and buy 100 pairs of shoes, I pay State VAT and then don't declare them at the Canadian border. Aren't I just stealing the Canadian duty or HST? How is the American side, where I just paid an American business and American VAT, put out?

It isn't an issue, and it certainly isn't happening because of tariffs. Having said that, he just created more disincentive for border shopping (along with the falling loonie). I guess Niagara outlet will have to cry some more.

AoD

There is no issue with shoes. It’s just one of those weird deflections that Trump likes to blurt out

Come September, Americans may smuggle marijuana from Canada without paying American duty on it.

From link.

Senate passes bill to legalize recreational cannabis

Canadians will be able to legally purchase and consume recreational marijuana by mid-September at the latest after the Senate voted Tuesday to lift almost a century-old prohibition on cannabis.

Senators voted 52-29, with two abstentions, to pass Bill C-45, after seven months of study and debate...

BTW. What is the American duty on Canadian marijuana?

One of most powerful magazine covers I've ever seen.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 806
One of most powerful magazine covers I've ever seen.

View attachment 147577
I think it will take a lot more than this for the GOP to lose the House majority in November. The public will have forgotten. I wonder if the school massacres will get millennials to the polls - I think not.

The big question, is who's going to run for President in 2020 from the DEM side? This is their last chance in this generation to turn the tiller of America away from the GOP's vision. Elizabeth Warren will get eaten alive in debates with Trump. Corey Booker may get those Obama-voting African Americans who in 2016 turned towards the GOP or stayed home to return to the DEM. I assume Sanders, Biden and O’Malley won't try again in 2020.

The DEMs need their own Trump. Too bad Al Franken couldn't keep his hands to himself.

865 days to go https://days.to/election-day-in-us/2020

I think it will take a lot more than this for the GOP to lose the House majority in November. The public will have forgotten. I wonder if the school massacres will get millennials to the polls - I think not.

The big question, is who's going to run for President in 2020 from the DEM side? This is their last chance in this generation to turn the tiller of America away from the GOP's vision. Elizabeth Warren will get eaten alive in debates with Trump. Corey Booker may get those Obama-voting African Americans who in 2016 turned towards the GOP or stayed home to return to the DEM. I assume Sanders, Biden and O’Malley won't try again in 2020.

The DEMs need their own Trump. Too bad Al Franken couldn't keep his hands to himself.

865 days to go https://days.to/election-day-in-us/2020

If the DEMs continue to spit in the eye of progressives and push more corporatist war-mongers as they did last time, then they are in trouble.

If the DEMs continue to spit in the eye of progressives and push more corporatist war-mongers as they did last time, then they are in trouble.
It's the mushy middle and undecideds you need to turn. Progressives will vote DEM, since 2016 showed them that staying home as a tantrum against Bernie's ouster did a lot to get Trump elected.

If you're a progressive, eligible to vote, especially in a swing State, and did not vote, you did as much to get Trump elected as the MAGA crowd.

It's the mushy middle and undecideds you need to turn. Progressives will vote DEM, since 2016 showed them that staying home as a tantrum against Bernie's ouster did a lot to get Trump elected.

If you're a progressive, eligible to vote, especially in a swing State, and did not vote, you did as much to get Trump elected as the MAGA crowd.

Correct - and there is no point winning more votes in states that you can comfortably win in an electoral college system that by and large (there are exceptions) works on an all or nothing basis. The Dems need to broaden their appeal at the local level and not get overly hung up on purity - you can't made a difference by staying in opposition.

AoD

I know, they should have went with O'Malley, but no amount of me talking to the TV could change their minds.

Does it really matter if that particular child wasn’t separated? The cover is representative of the thousands who are.

Wait, this already happens. Mind you, we get their guns. I know, shitty trade.

Now if Trump said Canadians were smuggling guns into Canada from Florida, instead of shoes, then he would have a valid argument and discussion.

See link.

seized_guns.jpg

Toronto police displayed seized firearms at a news conference Friday following raids on Thursday that resulted in 75 arrests and more than 1,000 charges laid. (Peter Goffin / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Last edited:
"I really don't care. Do U?"

You may not care, but now the Trumpers are gonna exploit this to their advantage and prop-up their 'fake news' narrative. Like Admiral said, facts still matter.

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 5.40.24 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 5.40.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 5.40.24 PM.png
    320.1 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:

Back