News   Apr 24, 2024
 954     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

No more so than by Obama, who pardoned a record 1,927 criminals in his eight year run. You have to go back to Harry Truman to find a president more prolific in pardoning. George W Bush, president before Obama pardoned a total of two hundred people in his eight year run. Including Michael Flynn, Trump has pardoned a total of forty-five criminals.

I think the idea of presidential pardons was more in keeping with Obama's use, for unrelated criminals. There should be limits/oversight on pardons for non-arms length individuals. I don't see it as a problem per se that Obama pardoned over a thousand people he did not personally know. I see it as a problem that Trump has pardoned dozens of people for crimes they committed on his behalf.

En1_A-CUcAERr8F
En1_QDEUwAA3yNG

I think the idea of presidential pardons was more in keeping with Obama's use, for unrelated criminals. There should be limits/oversight on pardons for non-arms length individuals. I don't see it as a problem per se that Obama pardoned over a thousand people he did not personally know. I see it as a problem that Trump has pardoned dozens of people for crimes they committed on his behalf.
It’s their country, if they want a system where the president can pardon whomever they want, so be it.

Technically, you're correct of course. It's the horror of being saturated with the spectacle that's so unnerving for the rest of us.
Actually, if you stay off US-based news and social media you won‘t see much of the spectacle.

Looking on CBC news, the G&M, TorStar online this morning there’s limited to little mention of the US political theatre. Canadians are rubber necking, IMO. We don‘t want to look away, but we can if we want to.

Actually, if you stay off US-based news and social media you won‘t see much of the spectacle.

Looking on CBC news, the G&M, TorStar online this morning there’s limited to little mention of the US political theatre. Canadians are rubber necking, IMO. We don‘t want to look away, but we can if we want to.
Good thing there aren't any English-language Canadian television news channels similar to Newsmax or OANN. The CRTC will strongly refuse licences for such "news" channels for very good reasons. Even Sun News Channel (centre-right), which is similar to Fox News Channel, failed.

sun_news_network_gone_screenshot.JPG

However, there's still plenty of Canadians who don't recognize Biden's victory and they have to rely on American news (or Sky News Australia), claiming that all offline Canadian news sources are liberally biased (including the Toronto Sun and all of the Alberta newspapers (all of which are centre-right)).

Last edited:
Good thing there aren't any English-language Canadian television news channels similar to Newsmax or OANN. The CRTC will strongly refuse licences for such "news" channels for very good reasons. Even Sun News Channel (centre-right), which is similar to Fox News Channel, failed.

However, there's still plenty of Canadians who don't recognize Biden's victory and they have to rely on American news (or Sky News Australia), claiming that all offline Canadian news sources are liberally biased (including the Toronto Sun and all of the Alberta newspapers (all of which are centre-right)).

Also don't forget Rebel and the "Prouds" as gathering spots for such thinking.

Plus when you say "English-language", there's the hidden-in-plain-sight matter of non-English media...

Also don't forget Rebel and the "Prouds" as gathering spots for such thinking.

Plus when you say "English-language", there's the hidden-in-plain-sight matter of non-English media...
The closest to a major English-language Canadian news source to Newsmax or OANN is Rebel News, but it doesn't have a television channel of its own.

There's also some Chinese Canadian news sources that are far-right (many of which are critical of the CCP, unsurprisingly enough, as well as accusing anyone who is to the left of Rebel News as "sympathetic to the CCP").

Whoops...

Back