News   Apr 16, 2024
 397     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.6K     7 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Ya, I get that. Places like Oshawa have a large, multi-generational history with unions, in particular one union (in its several forms). Some other area might have a potential workforce that is less inclined to drink the Kool-aid', but there is no oasis for either the employer or the union.
Where unions tend to go astray is when they pursue negative sum demands. Needless inefficiency and frills that deliver little value for members but impose large costs for employers. A lot of 'we pretend to work and they pretend to pay us' mentality.

I was actually super impressed with how Doug handled the situation. He himself said there would be plenty of jokes. He wasn't injured and didn't need medical treatment. Were that the situation, reactions would have been different. I have just been enjoying all of the fun memes that have been created (God Speed, Mrs. Frizzle was a favourite).

If anyone were to be perturbed, it should be the religious right given that Doug exclaimed "Holy Ch***t" four times in about 50 seconds.

Or did you mean empathy towards the bee? Because it was the only one injured.

Del Duca really rubs me the wrong way. I don't see how anyone can see this as a commitment to public service. It's merely a commitment to one's ego. And I'll give Horwath a slight pass here as she at least wins sometimes.
Mayors get to cut lots of ribbons - as we know from his time at Transport, del Duca likes cutting ribbons ..... (or repeatedly announcing that ribbon cutting is coming!)

Mayors get to cut lots of ribbons - as we know from his time at Transport, del Duca likes cutting ribbons ..... (or repeatedly announcing that ribbon cutting is coming!)

A snippet from future Mayor Del Duca trying out opening lines for pressers in his office, with his Aide):

Del Duca: " I'm here to announce that Vaughan will soon apply to be a City..."

Aide: "Uh, Mr. Mayor, Vaughan has been a City for a long time"

Del Duca: " Excuse me, that Vaughan will apply to remain a City"

Del Duca: "I'm hear to celebrate the 'xth' annivsary of the Avenue 7 VIVA lanes...."

Aide: "Mr. Mayor, should we make sure there is a bus in the background?"

Del Duca: "What, and delay the announcement?, we're not celebrating buses or riders, just lanes; We need to save the buses for a future presser!"

Del Duca: " I'm excited to announce that in 2023 Vaughan will again be picking up garbage from in front of everyone's homes"

Aide: "Mr. Mayor, that happens every year, no one has ever announced that before"

Del Duca: "A missed opportunity on their part!"

The Star is out with a piece that the Ford gov't is extending the deadling for Childcare operators to join the $10 per day program from Sept 1st to Nov 1st.

Article is NOT paywalled at time of posting.

Currently in Toronto, a little over 1/2 of childcare centers have opted in to the program, with a bit less than 3% opting out.

That leaves about ~40% in limbo with 2 weeks to go to the previous deadline.

Apparently there have been some complaints by operators that the required agreements from municipalities are confusing in some way; and that copies of the agreements may not be easily accessible.

The province is therefore moving to require municipalities to publicly post 'standard terms' of their agreements by August 29th.

Last edited:
Daycare operators are indeed complaining about the complexity of the process. Unless there are significant improvements, an extra 2 weeks isn’t going to make a difference.

Daycare operators are indeed complaining about the complexity of the process. Unless there are significant improvements, an extra 2 weeks isn’t going to make a difference.

I agree on the need for improvements; but for clarity, the extension is an extra 2 months.

Back