News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 634     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Was he actually tearful? Heh, heh, heh. Ford must have rubbed onions on his face before sitting down at the computer.

And he said he was sorry? That's a first. He must feel like he's in real trouble here. And having to publicly apologize, no matter how blatantly insincere, must have made him feel like strangling somebody.

Was he actually tearful? Heh, heh, heh. Ford must have rubbed onions on his face before sitting down at the computer.

And he said he was sorry? That's a first. He must feel like he's in real trouble here. And having to publicly apologize, no matter how blatantly insincere, must have made him feel like strangling somebody.
I suspect the Party pushed his apology. Probably a capitulation for keeping his job.

I suspect the Party pushed his apology. Probably a capitulation for keeping his job.

You mean "apology"? Just what he did apologize for? Seriously, I was hoping I'd be wrong - but it turned out to be every bit as expected.

If you parse the "apology," it was really clear it was to his "freedom" base for closing parks; not to everyone else - which is messing up the COVID response. That's what this presser is about - shoring up his p---ed off base.

AoD

Last edited:
OOPS!
abacus-data-ford-poll.jpg

Note the graph horizontal axis is not linear. For the last three data points it switches from monthly to weekly, meaning the number of people with a positive impression of Ford has dropped 11% during April so far.
I suspect people behind the scenes in the party are absolutely furious he squandered so much in such a short time.

Also, who are these ~25% of people with a neutral or no impression of him?

Some people were saying Ford was relatively popular and only now is losing favour. The reality is that he was epicly unpopular before COVID (lower support than the 15 year Liberal government they displaced), COVID saved his political bacon as people were willing to rally around a leader who could show some basic competence and string together obvious policy steps (Trump notably failed at this). And only now that the pandemic has worn on has his waffling and unwilingness to do the things that are perhaps tough but necessary has his support eroded back to where it was before the pandemic.

I'm watching now. The tears looked somewhat legit but probably because he was thinking about his mama, since they started when he mentioned holding the hand of a parent. He doesn't give a damn about the dead or sick. Christine Elliott never mentions the number of dead in her tweets, like they don't matter.

Also, he repeatedly made sure to take shots at the feds. That isnt an apology.

The idea that 'sick days' are some extraordinary burden is just absurd.

Where much of the world requires 4 weeks paid vacation (or more) for employees; Ontario only mandates 2 weeks.

PEI and Quebec both require a couple of paid sick days.

Many U.S. States mandate them (while admittedly not mandating any vacation time).

At maximum, if you mandated 2 weeks, it would be equal to a 4% increase in labour expense, IF:

a) All those employees were hourly and you replaced those hours
b) Every employee took the maximum time off.

Which is to say, the vast majority of businesses would experience a much smaller cost hit.

If you're worried about the cost, mid-pandemic, for businesses that are struggling......that's easy.

Sick days taken in 2021 will be a refundable business tax credit; available to any business which loses money in 2021.

The idea that 'sick days' are some extraordinary burden is just absurd.

Where much of the world requires 4 weeks paid vacation (or more) for employees; Ontario only mandates 2 weeks.

PEI and Quebec both require a couple of paid sick days.

Many U.S. States mandate them (while admittedly not mandating any vacation time).

At maximum, if you mandated 2 weeks, it would be equal to a 4% increase in labour expense, IF:

a) All those employees were hourly and you replaced those hours
b) Every employee took the maximum time off.

Which is to say, the vast majority of businesses would experience a much smaller cost hit.

If you're worried about the cost, mid-pandemic, for businesses that are struggling......that's easy.

Sick days taken in 2021 will be a refundable business tax credit; available to any business which loses money in 2021.

Hahaha, and people thought his tears were genuine. Suckers. I am still counting as to when York Region to close down workplaces with mass infections. Call me when they do.

AoD

Back