News   Mar 28, 2024
 119     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 230     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Ontario's hospital logjam brings record wait times, before arrival of COVID-19

Average patient waited more than 18 hours to get bed in January, new figures show

Mike Crawley · CBC News · Posted: Mar 12, 2020 4:00 AM ET

As Ontario hospitals prepare for the coronavirus pandemic, new figures show patients in this province are facing a record wait time for beds.

New statistics from the Ministry of Health show the average patient admitted to hospital in January spent 18.3 hours in the emergency room until a bed became available on a ward. That matches the previous monthly record wait time, in January 2019.

The news comes as Ontario plans for a possible surge in patients in case the COVID-19 pandemic leads to widespread transmission of the novel coronavirus in the province.

Oh goody! Just what we need

The Progressive Conservatives are planning to allow dozens of new electronic billboards on Metrolinx rail lands in Toronto and other major centres, the Star has learned.

One day after Premier Doug Ford mused about installing billboards on 400-series highways to raise money for provincial coffers, Metrolinx quietly posted an “expression of interest” (EOI) seeking potential bids for urban advertising signage.

The provincial transit agency’s posting on MERX’s public tendering website appeared Tuesday.

“Metrolinx invites entities to submit proposals for the design, construction, management and maintenance of digital sign structures at specific locations along Metrolinx-owned lands including within the rail corridor and on station properties in order to generate revenue,” it reads.

“Proponents may submit a proposal to construct digital billboards on one or more locations. The selected proponents will be required to enter into lease agreements with Metrolinx related to the construction and operation of the digital billboards.”

Transportation Minister Caroline Mulroney’s office said Wednesday the Metrolinx pitch is “a separate initiative than the potential 400-series plans referenced by the premier.”
“There is a list of 66 potential properties included in the EOI and they include both station properties and sites within rail corridors,” Mulroney’s office said in an email.

“This list does not include any properties along 400-series highways.”

From Star at: https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...ronic-billboards-on-metrolinx-rail-lands.html

I'm wondering if they are thinking about smaller boards at stations targeting transit riders or large overhead ones targeting adjacent roadways. If the latter, they will no doubt be clustered along the Union/Lakeshore corridor and LSE corridor.

Hot on the heels of Doug telling people to travel and enjoy themselves :rolleyes:
My god, he's sounding like last week's Trump. Has he not watched any news over the last 48 hours? Maybe he's still so broken up over the failure of his beloved blue license plates that he can't process any additional bad news.

No but unlike Trump I think they are listening to the expert more i think.

Who is "they"? This provincial government doesn't listen, nor pays any attention to anyone or any expert. Just to give an example hours after the WHO declares this Covid 19 outbreak a pandemic, Doogie is giving everyone a not so solid advice to enjoy their vacations and mingle.

Last edited:
Ontario needs to reinstate paid sick days amid COVID-19 pandemic, health-care workers say

Miriam Katawazi
Published Thursday, March 12, 2020 7:08PM EDT

TORONTO -- Health-care workers and opposition parties are calling on the Ontario government to enact emergency legislation that would waive the need for doctors' notes and reinstate paid sick days amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

While health officials across the country ask residents to stay home if they are feeling ill, a group of health care workers say that millions of people in low-wage jobs and precarious employment are unable to do so.

I wonder if this is about the bucks, or giving a sweetheart deal to the billboard companies (the latter have a tendency to umm...get into things.)

AoD
Same as McGuinty giving sweetheart deals on wind turbines, locking in above market rates to the former Liberal insiders who started the industry. And, no I’m engaging in whataboutism to diminish the idiocy that is DoFo, but we need to see most of these premiers for their cronyism.

Back