350     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 406     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 756     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Doug Ford's Minister of Children, Community and Social Service
@ToddSmithPC
wrongly blames adults with developmental disabilities for putting a strain on the wait list for housing. Unacceptable and wrong. #onpoli

thumb_ifthey-wouldrather-die-lep-they-had-better-do-it-and-49566570.png

Does anyone in that chain know what they're doing? From the article:

1. Officer on duty at Ontario’s Provincial Emergency Operations Centre (PEOC) logged into the actual live system used to send alerts across the province, thinking it was the training and test version of the service, in part because both systems look almost identical.

2. The duty officer who sent the alert immediately recognized their mistake, but supervisors did not know how to send a proper recall alert, and didn’t give any immediate orders.

3. To make matters worse, investigators found that “unrelated information” about Pickering Nuclear Generating Station, including a possible rumour about a fire there the night before, “added confusion to senior Ontario Public Service executives’ understanding of the situation.”

4. The PEOC had a planned template for an “end alert” meant to be sent in the event of a mistaken alert, but nobody could find it the morning of the Pickering alert.

5. The private vendor that provided the system to the province, Pelmorex, advised against sending a second “end alert” correction during the confusion.

6. Investigators also learned that up until Jan. 12, none of the PEOC’s saved message templates in the event of an emergency were available in French.

Like - W. T. F.??

AoD

Ya really.

If the duty officer erroneously sent a 'canned' alert message, wouldn't ya think the 'end' message would be on the same list. Or how about, I don't know, picking up a phone and calling the main players. There are a number of ways to distinguish between live and exercise systems, from different screen colours, banner messages on all pages to a completely separate exercise system.
In these days of instant communications, it is really hard to recall anything, but sending out a second message shouldn't be rocket surgery.
I'm a little alarmed that the system vendor who have a say in EOC decisions. This is the same vendor that has brought up the Amber Alert system.

If the duty officer erroneously sent a 'canned' alert message, wouldn't ya think the 'end' message would be on the same list. Or how about, I don't know, picking up a phone and calling the main players. There are a number of ways to distinguish between live and exercise systems, from different screen colours, banner messages on all pages to a completely separate exercise system.
In these days of instant communications, it is really hard to recall anything, but sending out a second message shouldn't be rocket surgery.
I'm a little alarmed that the system vendor who have a say in EOC decisions. This is the same vendor that has brought up the Amber Alert system.

I am not sure how "don't know how"; "couldn't find it" and "not available" can ever be excused for a live system. Do they know how the f***** thing works? Errors happen - lack of knowledge and preparedness is inexcusable.

Maybe there is a need to idiot-proof the live system - perhaps by instituting a hard/software enforced two-man rule for outbound messages.

AoD

Last edited:
I am not sure how "don't know how"; "couldn't find it" and "not available" can ever be excused for a live system. Do they know how the f***** thing works? Errors happen - lack of knowledge and preparedness is inexcusable.

Maybe there is a need to idiot-proof the live system - perhaps by instituting a hard/software enforced two-man rule for outbound messages.

AoD

5bf64c08cc98dd29c377aaa6_Button-pressed-%20grow.gif

Attachments

• 1582826070970.png
    1582826070970.png
    12 KB · Views: 332
Even more details @lenaitch

A timetable in the report from the morning of Jan. 12 shows a flurry of communications between three employees, six supervisors, and staff at Pelmorex, often with conflicting advice. Pelmorex staff “consistently” told the emergency management staff not to send a second alert through the alert system because the original warning had “expired,” the report said.

“Pelmorex’s role on January 12, 2020 exceeded advice on technical use of the Alert Ready system and included advice on how and whether to issue alerts,” the report found.

AoD

From link "three employees, six supervisors". Sounds familiar to anybody who worked in the government. Government loves 'matrix management' because it obscures accountability. As a former boss testified at a hearing; 'who's in charge should be a one-word answer - me, him, whoever. it shouldn't take a paragraph to describe'.

I just heard on news that any future test messages will clearly say "test". Ya think?

Maybe they need something like the two-key nuclear launch procedure the USAF used.

1582845656340.png

From link "three employees, six supervisors". Sounds familiar to anybody who worked in the government. Government loves 'matrix management' because it obscures accountability. As a former boss testified at a hearing; 'who's in charge should be a one-word answer - me, him, whoever. it shouldn't take a paragraph to describe'.

I just heard on news that any future test messages will clearly say "test". Ya think?

Maybe they need something like the two-key nuclear launch procedure the USAF used.

View attachment 233419

Insert lightbulb joke here!

AoD

Last edited:
Ontario will revert to issuing the old-style blue-on-white licences plates March 5 while it awaits new improved plates from 3M that can be read in all lighting conditions. The province says that 71,000 of the new plates were already issued to customers. The new plates are supposed to be ready March 16.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pr...ign_id=Politics_Ontario&utm_content=plategate

One has to ask the question why were the old plates not all used up in the first place? Assume that there never was a problem with the new blue plates; what were they planning to do with the surplus old ones? Trash them? Probably just trash them for no good reason.

One has to ask the question why were the old plates not all used up in the first place? Assume that there never was a problem with the new blue plates; what were they planning to do with the surplus old ones? Trash them? Probably just trash them for no good reason.
I’m going to guess that the equipment was still being used to produce various governmental plates (diplomats, parliament, emergency vehicles, etc.)

Back