News   Apr 24, 2024
 939     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 615     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Looking at an issue that is Ontario-specific, but overlaps w/the Corona Virus concern; hospital capacity.

CBC has been doing an extensive investigation putting precise numbers to what many of us have known for sometime.

Hospitals in Ontario are consistently running not merely at capacity, but over capacity (hence hallway medicine).

At the best of times, this is exhausting for medical staff, and insulting to the dignity and privacy of patients; and frankly, costs lives and increases risk of infections among patients, staff and visitors to hospitals.

But should Ontario face anything approaching a epidemic/pandemic health crisis, which can tax a system to its limits in its own right; the potential for disaster is all too real.

One point of fairness to Mr. Ford, this is not a new problem, its been brewing since the Harris years and made steadily worse even since.

But if it needed addressing a decade ago, its that much more urgent now. So far, the response of this government has been as anemic as those that preceded it.

Close proximity to domesticated carrier animals (esp. chicken and pigs - source of flus), fondness for exotic game meats (ironically for supposed health benefits) that are reservoirs of viruses. The latter is how SARS got started - it went from bat to civet cats to human. Sheer population density also meant that if anything spreads, it spreads fast - and this is like the worst time for it (CNY is bigger than US Thanksgiving in terms of movement of people)

People really need to stay away from game/exotics - and bats are the absolute worst. Seriously Hollywood usually get science wrong - but Steven Soderbergh’s Contagion was uncannily accurate (if simplified for dramatic reasons). Watch it if you want to freak yourself out (including how misinformation plays a part in the spread of diseases)

AoD

This article: http://theconversation.com/wuhan-coronavirus-we-still-havent-learned-the-lessons-from-sars-130484

I don't think we can blame the spread of viruses on politicians.

See article above. The failure to act is a political decision.

As in Ontario, where the failure to provide adequate hospital capacity is also a political decision, one made by multiple governments and parties over 2 decades.

Looking at an issue that is Ontario-specific, but overlaps w/the Corona Virus concern; hospital capacity.

CBC has been doing an extensive investigation putting precise numbers to what many of us have known for sometime.

Hospitals in Ontario are consistently running not merely at capacity, but over capacity (hence hallway medicine).

At the best of times, this is exhausting for medical staff, and insulting to the dignity and privacy of patients; and frankly, costs lives and increases risk of infections among patients, staff and visitors to hospitals.

But should Ontario face anything approaching a epidemic/pandemic health crisis, which can tax a system to its limits in its own right; the potential for disaster is all too real.

One point of fairness to Mr. Ford, this is not a new problem, its been brewing since the Harris years and made steadily worse even since.

But if it needed addressing a decade ago, its that much more urgent now. So far, the response of this government has been as anemic as those that preceded it.

That's what's scaring me - it isn't that the virus will be here - it is how our maxed out acute care system will handle the situation (especially if the numbers around ICU usage pans out).

AoD

That's what's scaring me - it isn't that the virus will be here - it is how our maxed out acute care system will handle the situation (especially if the numbers around ICU usage pans out).

AoD
Just like our shelters for homeless are maxed out - yet we keep bringing in more and more people to make it worse.

Every hospital in Ottawa is well over 100% cap if the virus every hits here in a big way i have no idea what there going to do.

Just like our shelters for homeless are maxed out - yet we keep bringing in more and more people to make it worse.

If you want to foolishly compare choosing to do the bare minimum with homelessness as a policy choice and the ease of opening homeless shelters to opening new ICU wards in hospital builds with years of lead time (nevermind staffing them), be my guest. Also homelessness in and on itself isn't transmutable condition, infectious disease is. If you want to conflate these two issues to make a point, I am afraid you have missed the mark and is choosing to capitalize on fear to make a political statement consciously. Disappointing but frankly not surprised.

AoD

Last edited:
Close proximity to domesticated carrier animals (esp. chicken and pigs - source of flus), fondness for exotic game meats (ironically for supposed health benefits) that are reservoirs of viruses. The latter is how SARS got started - it went from bat to civet cats to human. Sheer population density also meant that if anything spreads, it spreads fast - and this is like the worst time for it (CNY is bigger than US Thanksgiving in terms of movement of people)

People really need to stay away from game/exotics - and bats are the absolute worst. Seriously Hollywood usually get science wrong - but Steven Soderbergh’s Contagion was uncannily accurate (if simplified for dramatic reasons). Watch it if you want to freak yourself out (including how misinformation plays a part in the spread of diseases)

AoD

A simple Google images search of Wuhan Market Animals reveals scenes of live and dead animals/parts strewn about with nary an apparent care for even the basic concepts of either food safety or humanity. Koalas! Who the heck eats koalas?

The consumption of things like bear gall bladder, rhinoceros horn, shark fin, etc., many obtained through the black market, leaves my sympathy a little wanting.

A simple Google images search of Wuhan Market Animals reveals scenes of live and dead animals/parts strewn about with nary an apparent care for even the basic concepts of either food safety or humanity. Koalas! Who the heck eats koalas?

The consumption of things like bear gall bladder, rhinoceros horn, shark fin, etc., many obtained through the black market, leaves my sympathy a little wanting.

How did they even get koalas? I am a little pissed at that. You'd think SARS would have been a good warning against this sort of behaviour but no...
There is a reason why I am leaning towards being a vegetarian ?

AoD

How did they even get koalas? I am a little pissed at that. You'd think SARS would have been a good warning against this sort of behaviour but no...

AoD
Ya, I was surprised that they are only listed as 'vulnerable' in a couple of Australian states (assuming the states where they are present). That might change after the impact of the recent fires but won't stop the black market.

AoD

I went vegetarian once and most of my meals are vegan, but doing so full time is just not on. I'll eat anything. Probably even a koala. I don't think eating random meats is the issue here entirely.....it's the care that goes into cleaning and all that. One can't be cavalier about dead animal bodily fluids in skinning and gutting them. I've done a lot of this with both domesticated animals and wild game....gotta keep it clean!

I'm still interested in that Vietnamese duck blood soup thingy though.....sounds interesting.

I went vegetarian once and most of my meals are vegan, but doing so full time is just not on. I'll eat anything. Probably even a koala. I don't think eating random meats is the issue here entirely.....it's the care that goes into cleaning and all that. One can't be cavalier about dead animal bodily fluids in skinning and gutting them. I've done a lot of this with both domesticated animals and wild game....gotta keep it clean!

I'm still interested in that Vietnamese duck blood soup thingy though.....sounds interesting.

The very act of cleaning a carrier animal is itself is a risk for exposure and infection, especially if you have no idea what they are carrying - and what level of protective gear is required without knowing that.

AoD

The very act of cleaning a carrier animal is itself is a risk for exposure and infection, especially if you have no idea what they are carrying.

AoD

I know, but there are ways to go about it that neutralise a lot of the danger. Bleeding them out properly, for example. Not getting your hands covered in bile and blood and then touching up your face, for example. Etc.

I know, but there are ways to go about it that neutralise a lot of the danger. Bleeding them out properly, for example. Not getting your hands covered in bile and blood and then touching up your face, for example. Etc.

All it requires is one slip - and given the diversity of exotics, I wouldn't want to trust anyone on their expertise (and you don't necessarily even need to touch your face - Ebola for one).

AoD

Anybody want to go in on a hospitality suite?

=============================

Hi Animatronic

As you may have heard, we will be hosting our provincial Policy Conference in beautiful Niagara Falls, February 21st to 22nd.
Today, we are pleased to announce our first featured speaker: Rex Murphy

The one and only Rex Murphy is a trusted face and voice across Canadian media. His intellect, insight, and biting humour strike through the heart of profound political and social issues.
We're thrilled to have Rex deliver a keynote address to kick off our Policy Conference on Friday February 21st

Are you going to be there, Animatronic?

Tickets are limited, so get yours now!

Join your fellow Progressive Conservatives from across the province to develop party policy, hear from inspiring speakers, and network with fellow conservatives – all on the Falls!
This year, you are not required to be elected as a delegate by your local riding association. In order to participate, you have to be a member of the Party by January 31st. It's that simple. You can purchase or renew your membership here:

You won't want to miss it – get your tickets today

See you there!
Patrick Harris
Policy Conference Co-Chair

PS: Please stay tuned for more announcements next week on policy sessions with Cabinet Ministers and the Conference agenda.

PS: If you are interested in hosting a hospitality suite at the Conference please email Sarah at sarah.navy@ontariopc.com – rooms are filling up, so reserve your space now!

Back