News   Apr 24, 2024
 499     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 695     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 516     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Remember Amanda Simard? She quit the PC's over the french university situation. Now she will be joining the Liberal caucus.

For comparison, from link...

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill (30 November 1874 – 24 January 1965) started political life as a Conservative, but in 1904 he joined the Liberal party and served in the Liberal government of 1905. Churchill rejoined the Conservatives in 1924, became leader in 1940 (and Prime Minister leading a coalition government) was elected Prime Minister in 1951 and stood down as Conservative leader (and Prime Minister) in 1955.​

For comparison, from link...

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill (30 November 1874 – 24 January 1965) started political life as a Conservative, but in 1904 he joined the Liberal party and served in the Liberal government of 1905. Churchill rejoined the Conservatives in 1924, became leader in 1940 (and Prime Minister leading a coalition government) was elected Prime Minister in 1951 and stood down as Conservative leader (and Prime Minister) in 1955.​
Or more recently, Jean Charest seems to be firing up for a run at Andrew Scheer's job, making him a CPC, former LPQC, former PCPC.

Ford calls for regime change in Iran as he announces scholarships in memory of 57 Canadians killed in crash

From link.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has waded into international relations, calling for the ouster of the “brutal” government in Iran as he announced $10,000 one-time scholarships in memory of the 57 Canadian victims in last week’s plane crash in Iran.

“There’s one person shot down that plane. That was the Iranian regime. The ruthless evil Iranian regime that needs to be changed,” Ford told reporters Thursday.

“I want to send a message: I support the protesters that are out there. We believe in democracy here in Canada and we’d love to see nothing less than democracy in Iran.”

The comments and the scholarship came after Ford, who also spoke at a University of Toronto memorial service for the crash victims, met Tuesday with families who lost spouses, children and other loved ones in the Jan. 8 crash of Ukraine International Airlines flight 752 after it was hit by at least one Iranian surface-to-air missile.

“It was absolutely heartbreaking…the pain that they’re going through,” said the premier, whose own mother died a week ago Sunday after a battle with cancer. “People are hurting. The Iranian community are hurting. And I just want to tell them that the rest of Ontario is hurting along with them.”

Thirty-four of the 57 Canadian victims of the crash were academics, teaching, studying or engaged in research at universities across the country.

“There were PhD candidates, professors, researchers, doctors, like the PhD in medical biotech who was researching a new drug therapy for breast cancer. These are the incredible stories of the people that were on Flight 752. These were people committed to their education and working hard to help our society,” Ford said.

“We have to make sure that we carry on their legacy and memory,” he added, flanked by two Progressive Conservative MPPs of Iranian descent, Goldie Ghamari (Carleton) and Michael Parsa (Aurora-Oak Ridges-Richmond Hill) at a news conference outside the premier’s office.

Both have been helping families deal with the aftermath of the airliner tragedy.

The 57 scholarships will start in fall 2020, but Ford said they could be extended if donors step up.

“Hopefully we’ll have private sector partners to help out the following years.”

Details of the scholarships to Ontario universities will be determined with input from families of the crash victims but the financial aid will be “open to everyone,” Ford said.

The Ontario government is also working with federal officials to connect families of crash victims with mental health services, community organizations and offering assistance in getting important documents such as death certificates.

We, the people of Ontario, call for a regime change in Ontario!

Question: When the hell did the stupid rebate on hydro get so big?

I just got my latest bill today from the stupid third-party metering company hired by my landlord and it's showing that it's 31.8% now. It used to be like 8%.

First of all, what the hell kinda number is 31.8%?

Second of all, why the hell is it so high!? I'm paying like 25$ a month now. They may as well be giving it away for free. Meanwhile unnecessary things like internet, mobile, and TV cost at least double that every month each.

Third of all, where the hell is this money coming from? I don't want to subsidise mom and pop suburbia's "need" for a TV in every room. I don't even own a TV since I punched mine after a regretful result by the Reds back when we were still complete rubbish.

Can I get a 31.8% rebate on my rent instead?

Question: When the hell did the stupid rebate on hydro get so big?

I just got my latest bill today from the stupid third-party metering company hired by my landlord and it's showing that it's 31.8% now. It used to be like 8%.

First of all, what the hell kinda number is 31.8%?

Second of all, why the hell is it so high!? I'm paying like 25$ a month now. They may as well be giving it away for free. Meanwhile unnecessary things like internet, mobile, and TV cost at least double that every month each.

Third of all, where the hell is this money coming from? I don't want to subsidise mom and pop suburbia's "need" for a TV in every room. I don't even own a TV since I punched mine after a regretful result by the Reds back when we were still complete rubbish.

Can I get a 31.8% rebate on my rent instead?

Why would you punch a tv, least of all your own? That's some Failarmy shit...

Why would you punch a tv, least of all your own? That's some Failarmy shit...

Why wouldn't I punch my own TV? I'd be a dick to punch someone else's.
It's not so much fail army as it is Degen anger management. Anyway, that was back in 2014....see how much I "need" one?

Premier Doug Ford says he has no regrets about how party treated ex-Tory MPP Amanda Simard

From link.

Premier Doug Ford insists he has no regrets about how the Progressive Conservatives treated MPP Amanda Simard, who defected to the Liberals over his government’s treatment of Franco-Ontarians.

Speaking with reporters on Friday in Parry Sound, Ford was asked what he could have done differently to keep Simard from bolting to the Grits.

“I just wish her all the best,” the premier said in his first public statement since the Glengarry-Prescott-Russell MPP’s announcement Thursday.

“We’re going to continue working hard in her riding representing her constituents, but I wish her all the best,” he said.

Pressed on whether he had any “regrets” about how Simard was dealt with, Ford bristled.

“We treated her absolutely phenomenal, by the way,” he said.

“You’re going to have to ask Amanda that. We’re going to continue working hard and we look forward to winning that riding in the next election.”

Conservatives strategists, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to discuss private deliberations, confide that the party has little hope of winning the Eastern Ontario seat in the 2022 election.

The first-term MPP made headlines across Canada when she quit the Tory caucus in November 2018 after Ford scrapped the independent French-language services commissioner post, putting under the ombudsman’s office, and scaled back plans for a French university.

Simard was outraged that even though she was the parliamentary assistant to Caroline Mulroney, the minister responsible for francophone affairs, she was not informed of the cuts beforehand.

On Thursday, she said she was joining the Liberals after sitting as an Independent for 14 months because they are “the party of the future.”

“It’s not just about French-language services. It’s really about, generally, the direction and position on education, climate change,” said Simard, pointing to the Tories’ cancellation of the previous Liberal government’s cap-and-trade environmental alliance with Quebec and California.

“That’s not the party that I signed up for. That’s not the way to run a province.”

Since leaving the Tories, Simard has become a prominent face of the province’s 622,000-member Franco-Ontario community.

She has enlisted with a Liberal party that has surged in recent public-opinion polls even though a leader will not be selected until March 7.

While Simard has not expressed support for any of the six candidates in the contest, she said she wants to help “rebuild” a party that governed Ontario from 2003 until Ford’s Tories toppled them in 2018.

MPPs Michael Coteau (Don Valley East) and Mitzie Hunter (Scarborough-Guildwood), former minister Steven Del Duca, past candidates Kate Graham and Alvin Tedjo, and lawyer Brenda Hollingsworth are in the leadership race.

All welcomed Simard into the Liberal fold.

Hunter said on Friday that if she triumphs in the leadership and wins the next election, she would improve access to French-language services and programs throughout the province.

“I have a long history of supporting Franco-Ontarians from my time at TVO/TFO,” she said, referring to Ontario’s public broadcasters. “I will be a leader who respects and restores the rights of all French-speaking people in Ontario.”

Question for everyone who lives in a riding held by by the PC's: If your MPP quit today, would the party be able to hold it in a by-election?

Last edited:
Question for everyone who lives in a riding held by by the PC's: If your MPP quit today, would they be able to hold it in a by-election?
Bad question.
Hold it as an independent - as JWR did and Jane Philpott could not. or Hold it if they crossed the floor, as Leona Alleslev did?
The answer to the first would likely be no to everyone in the province.

Ontario pushes pause on recycling watchdog, citing need to cut ‘red tape.’ Critics decry loss of independent oversight

See link.

Premier Doug Ford’s government is weakening the powers of the independent recycling regulator that was supposed to hold producers of electronics or household hazardous waste accountable for the products they sell.

Citing a desire to reduce “red tape,” environment minister Jeff Yurek’s office told the Star that the new Resource Productivity and Recycling Authority (RPRA) “makes Ontario a less competitive place to do business, which increases costs for consumers.”

It is unclear what precipitated the minister’s decision, although Yurek and his staff have been the focus of a lobbying campaign by the industries that sell computers, printers, paint and household cleaners. In letters and emails obtained by the Star and during a Dec. 5 meeting with Yurek, lobbyists complained of “red tape” and “scope creep” by the oversight authority.

It is also unclear how the Minister of Environment, Conservation and Parks plans to move forward. For now, the loss of RPRA’s strong regulatory powers to investigate industry recycling claims means Ontario will have no way to independently track if materials are recycled or sent to landfill. The recycling industry says the decision will rule out business investments in new plants and recycling technology.

The minister’s office said it will continue with “strict new recycling regulations,” including higher diversion targets and new blue box standards.

But without strong and independent enforcement, those new recycling plans will not work, said Rob Cook of the Ontario Waste Management Association.

“They are missing the point that it is all for naught if you don’t have the full oversight of RPRA,” Cook said.

The recycling authority was created in 2016 as part of Liberal legislation called the Waste-Free Ontario Act and the Resource Recovery and Circular Economy Act. It operates on funding from the producers and regulations set by the government.

RPRA was designed to act as an external regulatory body that would have the power to verify where materials are sent. One of the problems with the old recycling system involved the dumping of plastics in countries like China, with lax environmental laws. China has now closed its doors to “contaminated” materials from other countries, including Canada, highlighting the need for stronger regulations.

The Liberals and the Conservatives put the existing industry-controlled recycling programs on notice with “wind-up” letters detailing when those programs would end. Considered monopolies by people in the waste management industry, the new legislation was to open the industry to competition by allowing new companies to run the recycling programs.

Tires were the first to fall under the authority’s watch. Since January of 2019, Ontario tire recyclers have invested or have planned to invest $13 million in processing plants and technology, said Peter Hargreave, president of Policy Integrity consulting.

The Ontario Electronics Stewardship, the industry controlled recycling program, was told to end its operations at the end of this year and Stewardship Ontario was told to wrap up its household hazardous waste program by the end of June in 2021. Stewardship Ontario also oversees the blue box program, which is supposed to go through a major change as well, with the producers of plastics, packaging and newspapers taking full responsibility for the costs of recycling.

In other words, a huge transformation of the industry was underway, with promises of regulations for targets to divert from landfill combined with RPRA’s oversight to ensure proper recycling actually happened.

A few months ago, it appeared that Yurek was moving ahead with those plans. He sent the “wind-up” letters and expanded RPRA’s mandate by adding a digital registry for hazardous waste.

Regulations that were expected to have a fall 2019 deadline still haven’t passed. And that left the door open to the producers’ associations, who lobbied against change.

One of the lobbyists, Shelagh Kerr, president and CEO of the Electronics Product Stewardship Canada, sent a letter in November to the government asking it to regulate “mature” recycling programs under the ministry’s Environmental Protection Act. Kerr also asked the government to control the regulatory powers it gives to RPRA.

The ministry is now starting a new search for “oversight models that have been used in other jurisdictions,” its statement said.

Cook, of the waste management associations, said before the 2016 legislation was written, the ministry studied numerous models in other jurisdictions. Many had serious flaws, he said. As a result, the government designed RPRA. Ministry staff who worked on the waste-free plans won an Ontario Public Service Amethyst Award for “outstanding achievements.”

The fight over RPRA’s existence is just the latest in a long struggle between the corporations that produce materials and the waste management industry that recycles them.

In the middle is a government that claims it is sympathetic to business.

In recent months, lobbyists for the producers repeatedly cited red tape, a buzz term the Conservatives have used so often they put an associate minister in charge of its reduction. The recycling industry asked the government to support jobs and business investments by keeping the authority intact.

Last week, before the government’s new position on RPRA, Cook said its continued existence would ensure a “level-playing field” between progressive companies that already invest money in recycling and those with a more lackadaisical approach....

Back