News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 609     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Interesting that the current batch of government announcements were done without Doug Ford's swinging hands in the photo ops.

Watched the "recycling announcement" on TV. While I agree that the current system isn't working, I am slightly confused how they are going to implement their "Make the manufacturer responsible" for their recyclable waste. At the time of this announcement they weren't sure either because the minister said that lots of consultations needed to take place. Press was confused too. Someone asked a very valid question: "If I were to buy a TV at Best Buy and it comes with the usual amount of cardboard and styrofoam who is responsible for the pickup and recycling?" Moments of silence from the minister in charge followed by "We still need to have consultations with the municipal governments, but for sure this is going to be good and efficient and will create new jobs" Every time I hear a Conservative utter the word efficient or efficiencies I know it's either going to cost the taxpayer more or services are cut.

WHY can't they just come up with a solid plan of recycling, work out the fine details, then announce it, instead of announcing the Monday morning brainstorm to appease the voters.

Watched the "recycling announcement" on TV. While I agree that the current system isn't working, I am slightly confused how they are going to implement their "Make the manufacturer responsible" for their recyclable waste. At the time of this announcement they weren't sure either because the minister said that lots of consultations needed to take place. Press was confused too. Someone asked a very valid question: "If I were to buy a TV at Best Buy and it comes with the usual amount of cardboard and styrofoam who is responsible for the pickup and recycling?" Moments of silence from the minister in charge followed by "We still need to have consultations with the municipal governments, but for sure this is going to be good and efficient and will create new jobs" Every time I hear a Conservative utter the word efficient or efficiencies I know it's either going to cost the taxpayer more or services are cut.

WHY can't they just come up with a solid plan of recycling, work out the fine details, then announce it, instead of announcing the Monday morning brainstorm to appease the voters.

I asked the same question in another post and was given a good link describing the various processes, all with pros and cons. Of course cannot find it. It is apparently fairly common in many European countries.

Here's an amusing demonstration of DoFo's eternal parochialism and limited universe, in the name of projecting "For The People"...

"Having fun talking to families and shooting some hoops with the kids at Triumphant Church of Jesus Christ."

Which happens to be on Greensboro Drive, i.e. a Deco neighbour.

But shhhhh...don't tell anyone.

We have an old joke/meme/proverb in the military: “Promoted beyond their level of competence.” It’s a variation of the Peter principle.

It’s a situation that usually manifests itself where some chummy bloke who’s bumbling in their current rank but gets promoted due to their affability and has the responsibilities of their new rank and position catch up with them because they were obviously under-equipped in their last rank. It really becomes obvious because they usually start reverting to what they did in their lower rank and can’t fit and act strategically in a rank with substantially higher responsibilities.

The Ford bros epitomize that concept in spades. RoFo, bumbling but harmless councillor. Incompetent mayor. DoFo bumbling municipal politician. Disastrous Premier.

DoFo was handed an amazing hand from Wynne. All he had to do was lay out some basic fiscal discipline to simply arrest the growth of government. Wouldn’t even have taken much. Sunset a few programs 2 years into term. Take a tougher line with some of the public sector unions. Sit back and watch the deficit start shrinking. And then brag about his financial genius into the next election. But some of these less cerebral folks actually believe their own propaganda of how bad the Liberal preceeding them was. Add ye olde mantra of the Laffer curve. And then ride that to disastrous results. DoFo just did all that in record time.

DoFo was handed an amazing hand from Wynne. All he had to do was lay out some basic fiscal discipline to simply arrest the growth of government. Wouldn’t even have taken much. Sunset a few programs 2 years into term. Take a tougher line with some of the public sector unions. Sit back and watch the deficit start shrinking. And then brag about his financial genius into the next election. But some of these less cerebral folks actually believe their own propaganda of how bad the Liberal preceeding them was. Add ye olde mantra of the Laffer curve. And then ride that to disastrous results. DoFo just did all that in record time.
This was likely advice for Trudeau.
Ford inherited a dumpster fire from Wynne that had to be addressed. Ford should have had a mini-budget last fall, which was a mistake on his part. Here's how bad Wynne left the province (look at her last 2 years trying to buy the election).

This was likely advice for Trudeau.
Ford inherited a dumpster fire from Wynne that had to be addressed. Ford should have had a mini-budget last fall, which was a mistake on his part. Here's how bad Wynne left the province (look at her last 2 years trying to buy the election).
View attachment 199607

Again. Looks like pre-election spending that was easy to sunset out. DoFo simply made it worse by increasing spending and cutting taxes.

I'd like to know how it's sensible for a Conservative government apparently worried about spending too much to pass a budget that increases spending by $4 billion just a year after lambasting the Liberals for spending too much. And increasing the deficit to $11 billion.

This is the kind of crap that makes conservatives look totally useless and impotent. Why bother voting in Conservatives if I'm going to get bigger deficits and higher spending? How they are actually less fiscally responsible than Wynne is beyond me.

This is why he's tanking in the polls. Moderate voters will forgive you for cuts if you balance the budget. They won't forgive you for austerity that somehow also ends up being fiscally worse. People understand pain for a purpose. They don't get pain for no reason.

Again. Looks like pre-election spending that was easy to sunset out. DoFo simply made it worse by increasing spending and cutting taxes.
Mike Harris cut spending and was vilified. Ford decided to reduce the rate of increase to below inflation (see 2019/20 dot on graph).
Basically, anyone who follows a terrible economic leader gets blamed - it's what happens when a public does not care about their future.

Mike Harris cut spending and was vilified.

Vilified by the left. He never ended up so low in the polls, he risked re-election. That's the difference.

Ford has been such a disaster that he's already blown whatever political capital he has. Any slight slowdown in the economy and the PCPO is going to get absolutely crushed next election.

Remember when Doug Ford promised to lower everyone's Hydro bill?

Ontario cottage owners are in for a shock this fall with electricity rates for seasonal customers set to rise by as much as 129 per cent.

The Ontario Energy Board (OEB) tasked Hydro One with developing a billing model that would eliminate the class under which most seasonal customers have their hydro fees assessed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/cottagers-brace-disastrous-change-electricity-bill-1.5250039

I am absolutely okay with this. It's bullshit to give what effectively amounts to infrastructure subsidies to wealthy cottage owners. They are free to go off-grid and install solar panels and batteries, if they don't like what the utilities charge them.

Politically, not all that great. But really, will this lot ever vote anything other than Conservative? The $120 delivery bill pales in comparison to the tax breaks they enjoy from the PCs in power.

Back