News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Ugly but I hope the new plates don't fall apart after a few years. Mine started peeling and bubbling about a year after i got them. Garbage quality. I got Ontario plates from the 1950s and 1960s that are in better shape than most of the plates i see on the road today.

5271532-peeling-licence-plates-a-problem-across-ontario

Peeling licence plates a problem across Ontario

Ugly but I hope the new plates don't fall apart after a few years. Mine started peeling and bubbling about a year after i got them. Garbage quality. I got Ontario plates from the 1950s and 1960s that are in better shape than most of the plates i see on the road today.

Yeah, lets remember the guy running the government thought this was a good, professional, quality business card (and let's also remember, he owned a company that does printing and has designers on staff):
dougfordbusinesscard.png

If anything, the quality's likely to drop.

Ford has probably worked out future plate replacement fees as a source of revenue for this budget.

5271532-peeling-licence-plates-a-problem-across-ontario

Peeling licence plates a problem across Ontario

Depending on your series you might get a free replacement; there is a recall list. Or if you find a Service Ontario site that doesn't really care you might get one anyway. Our son-in-law (who had researched that his plate wasn't on the recall list) took his peeling plate in and they replaced it when they saw it. Our daughter (who had a plate that was also not on the recall list but was way worse) simply asked and they said no.

So, they are freezing or cutting most ministries, including Energy and Environment, but they are going to hire gas pump sticker compliance inspectors? If one of the retailer companies wanted to make a case, it could be an interesting constitutional argument, considering that 'regulation or trade and commerce' and 'weights and measures' (i.e. the pumps) are Federal jurisdiction.

Adding the trillium onto the plate is not a bad idea.
Switching from blue on white to white on blue is questionable.
Having a two tone blue background is very questionable.
Ontario text may be a bit small - it can be considered a form of advertisement when travelling south of the border.
I would also prefer the crown in the middle (above the trillium). After all, our highway system are the King's Highways.

View attachment 181133
To add to that: I think the typeface of the slogan and of "Ontario" should be the same. Ontario should be in all caps. I would keep the crown in the middle and move the trillium logo to beside "Ontario".

Depending on your series you might get a free replacement; there is a recall list. Or if you find a Service Ontario site that doesn't really care you might get one anyway. Our son-in-law (who had researched that his plate wasn't on the recall list) took his peeling plate in and they replaced it when they saw it. Our daughter (who had a plate that was also not on the recall list but was way worse) simply asked and they said no.

I was told by Service Ontario i had to buy new ones, which is BS. I ain't buying new plates. These aren't that old.

As a designer, the "abstract logo portion in the background" is quite sadly early 2000s.

Which seems to be the standard "Conservative boys in shorts" backup aesthetic. Kind of like this kind of visual packaging...

ford-nation-tv1.jpg

Ford’s sticker shock at the gas pumps: $10,000 fines for scofflaws who forgo decals warning of cost of federal carbon pricing

From link.

Premier Doug Ford will hose gasoline stations with fines of up to $10,000 a day unless they slap oversized Ontario government stickers on pumps warning about the cost of federal carbon-pricing measures.

The hefty cash penalties were buried in the 283-page budget bill tabled Thursday by Finance Minister Vic Fedeli when he unveiled the Progressive Conservatives’ record $163.4-billion spending plan.

“We will be doing everything we can, including through the court system to fight this job-killing carbon tax. We will be putting stickers on gas pumps that show just how much Justin Trudeau is taking out of your pocket,” Fedeli said Friday in Ajax.

The 15 cm by 20 cm Tory blue stickers read: “The federal carbon tax will cost you.”

But it will be gas station owners facing sticker shock at the pumps if they refuse to post them.

For an independent operator, a first offence will lead to a daily fine of up to $500, rising to as much as $1,000 a day until the stickers are posted.

Corporate-owned stations would face initial fines of up to $5,000 a day, jumping to as much as $10,000 daily for subsequent breaches.

It’s estimated there are some 30,000 individual pumps in the province that would require a sticker.

In an email, the Canadian Fuels Association, which represents the industry, said it would “not be commenting at this time.”

The Tories are still determining how much the sticker program would cost taxpayers. Ford’s office emphasized the stickers will not be produced by the premier’s family’s label company.

Federal Environment Minister Catherine McKenna said “Ford is wasting taxpayers’ dollars misleading Ontarians about our plan.”

“The premier will be wasting money on stickers that do not include the amount of money Ontarians are getting back from the Climate Action Incentive rebate, and the cost of inaction on climate change,” said McKenna, dismissing the decals as “misleading political propaganda.”

NDP MPP Peter Tabuns (Toronto Danforth) panned the decals as “inaccurate and biased” because they do not include complete information about carbon pricing.

“From sticking his slogan and party colours on licence plates, to threatening gas stations that fail to carry Conservative party advertisements, Doug Ford is spending a lot of people’s money on himself and his party,” said Tabuns.

In a message emailed to Tory supporters Thursday, Ford hailed his first budget.

“The McGuinty-Wynne days of high taxes and endless deficits are officially over,” the premier said, referring to his Liberal predecessors, Dalton McGuinty and Kathleen Wynne.

But by comparison, last year’s Liberal document was a $158.5-billion budget, meaning the Tories are spending $4.9 billion more than their predecessors.

That’s in part due to accounting changes the new government adopted last fall that make the fiscal situation appear more dire than it actually is.

Reversing a trend that dates back to when Tory Mike Harris was premier in 2001-02, the province no longer counts as assets $11 billion in government co-sponsored Ontario Public Service Employees’ Union Pension Plan and the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.

That accounting revision — and a decision to move hydro subsidies for electricity customers off the rate base and onto the province’s books — increases the annual shortfall by about $5 billion.

The budget has a $10.3 billion shortfall with no plan to balance until 2023-24, after the next election. That means adding tens of billions of dollars to the $343 billion debt before beginning any repayment.

Fedeli made no apologies for using the revised accounting or for the inflated deficit figure.

“The Liberals never included the hydro scandal that they were involved in and the pension fund,” he said, referring to the electricity rebates and the public pension holdings.

“We are acknowledging the auditor general’s numbers and adding $5 billion that the Liberals never included.”

Insert standing-ovation from the (Progressive) Conservatives here. o_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:
To add to that: I think the typeface of the slogan and of "Ontario" should be the same. Ontario should be in all caps. I would keep the crown in the middle and move the trillium logo to beside "Ontario".
Yes - I think beside Ontario looks better (maybe the word Ontario should be centred, and not the whole line). Maybe with small letters, the big O and "big" trillium add some symmetry? (or I am just too lazy to figure out how to do all caps.
License 2.jpg

Back