News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Brother... from another mother.

View attachment 167601
05898ab6c993d67fc345429aa63ebbfe_xl.jpg

The problem with the Greens is that ultimately no one cares about the environment. I’m half joking of course but time and time again we can see that environment issues are political dead ends.

I would go further and say that ultimately no one even knows what an environmental issue is beyond being a branding exercise. There is little philosophical debate or consensus as to what we should be doing about the environment or even what the environment is. I would wager that over 90% of voters who care about environmental issues have no idea what the ecosystems that exist in Ontario are or what flora and fauna are native to Ontario or what the natural climate conditions of the Province are or what living at the mercy of these climate conditions feels like.

The problem with the Greens is that ultimately no one cares about the environment. I’m half joking of course but time and time again we can see that environment issues are political dead ends.

I would go further and say that ultimately no one even knows what an environmental issue is beyond being a branding exercise. There is little philosophical debate or consensus as to what we should be doing about the environment or even what the environment is. I would wager that over 90% of voters who care about environmental issues have no idea what the ecosystems that exist in Ontario are or what flora and fauna are native to Ontario or what the natural climate conditions of the Province are or what living at the mercy of these climate conditions feels like.

I can agree w/the gist of the the second paragraph, though I think you're reaching just a bit..............

But back to paragraph one.........The Greens, as a party are about far more than the environment. It is not merely a party of tree huggers.

Its a party committed to merging the separate and public school systems, to balanced budgets, to small business-friendly policies, to higher employment standards and yes, to green-minded issues as well.

Broadly their commitment is to sustainability and credibility.

While I would agree the Greens are some distance yet from contending for power either nationally or here in Ontario; they are showing gains particularly in BC, the maritimes and Ontario.

I think if they can reach a larger audience (by being included in debates, among other things) then they form a useful option for many whose politics are moderate, but progressive.

Note with interest, they are actually tied w/the Liberals in PEI, for the lead, at 37%

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-cra-poll-november-2018-1.4940765

The problem with the Greens is that ultimately no one cares about the environment. I’m half joking of course but time and time again we can see that environment issues are political dead ends..
I care about the environment, but I’d like to see Canada focus on things beyond carbon emissions. Instead, or alongside this, I’d like to see Ontario and/or Ottawa push for consumer packaging reform. Every recycling day I look into my bin and think, why is it up to me to sort what’s recyclable or not, such as the forbidden black plastic with #1 or #2 - why doesn’t the government just legislate that only recyclable materials are allowed to be used for consumer packaging and take out food, etc? This is something the government could get the people behind.

Good on Tescos in the UK https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/tesco-single-use-plastic-packaging-ban-2019/

Last edited:
I care about the environment, but I’d like to see Canada focus on things beyond carbon emissions. Instead, or alongside this, I’d like to see Ontario and/or Ottawa push for consumer packaging reform. Every recycling day I look into my bin and think, why is it up to me to sort what’s recyclable or not, such as the forbidden black plastic with #1 or #2 - why doesn’t the government just legislate that only recyclable materials are allowed to be used for consumer packaging and take food, etc? This is something the government could get the people behind.

Or need a scissors to cut the plastic packaging around a new scissors.

da2r1sda0t711.jpg

From link.

Called "clamshell packaging".

From link...
3008_Wrap_Rage_Example.png

3008_scissorpackage.png

3008-batteryclamshell.png

And the shitshow continues...

BREAKING: Ron Taverner has rescinded his Toronto police resignation, going back to his superintendent's job in Etobicoke. On Sat he asked his appt as OPP commish be "postponed"...

Can someone please explain to me this business of 'rescinding resignations'? When did employers start allowing 'take backs'?

I was thinking about this already with the newly elected York region trustee embroiled in controversy over racist remarks who seemingly tendered her resignation, then changed her mind.

I"ve been both employee and employer and it has never occurred to me that I could tender my resignation to go to to a new job, but then just walk it back if that didn't work out.

Nor could i conceive of accepting such from an employee, at least under any 'normal' circumstance.

Once you resign, you are gone.

If an employer particularly liked you, and you wanted to come back, you do so as a 'new hire'.

Or at least that would have been my take............

Can someone please explain to me this business of 'rescinding resignations'? When did employers start allowing 'take backs'?

I was thinking about this already with the newly elected York region trustee embroiled in controversy over racist remarks who seemingly tendered her resignation, then changed her mind.

I"ve been both employee and employer and it has never occurred to me that I could tender my resignation to go to to a new job, but then just walk it back if that didn't work out.

Nor could i conceive of accepting such from an employee, at least under any 'normal' circumstance.

If an employer particularly liked you, and you wanted to come back, you do so as a 'new hire'.

My guess - and to be clear only a guess - is that his actual resignation, more accurately 'retirement', date is sometime in the future and he is running unused credits down (i.e. vacation). If true, he would still be on the books for a while yet.

Though I certainly do not think Taverner comes out of this shit-show with much glory, think that a person who has worked for one employer for 52 years (apparently without problems, if not great distinction) deserves some consideration - esp since he only (presumably) retired a couple of days/weeks ago.

The Greens, as a party are about far more than the environment. It is not merely a party of tree huggers.
I used to ignore the Greens, even living in Guelph for five years where the civic trend was Toxic Green, it was so thick (and I'm very environmentally conscious) so it was a refreshing surprise for me to listen to Schreiner, and realize he has, by far, the most prepared, sensible and still visionary arguments of any of the candidates who ran last election. And Guelphites obviously agreed, even with a swing against their last mayor Karen Farbridge, who was a Greenie radical. The only way the Greens are going to gain power is to do what they are now, at least the Ont Greens: Be pragmatic. Media interviews with Schreiner always showed him to being natural, but sharp on all the issues.
Every recycling day I look into my bin and think, why is it up to me to sort what’s recyclable or not, such as the forbidden black plastic with #1 or #2 - why doesn’t the government just legislate that only recyclable materials are allowed to be used for consumer packaging and take out food, etc? This is something the government could get the people behind.
For all the hype offered Canadians, we are one of the developed world's worst laggards when it comes to packaging. Germany, for generations now, has required that manufacturers pay for the cost of dealing with packaging.
It boggles the senses! Like leaving your girlfriend for that 'babe down the street' who then realizes her demeanour, image and reputation would be tarnished.

And you state: "Honey, I'm back..."

Back