News   Mar 28, 2024
 495     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 399     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 743     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

The Ford government's new bill will scrap business regulations relating to: Toxic chemicals, employment standards, child care caps, safety guidelines in assembly plants, pawnbrokers, food safety testing, water extraction permits, wastewater treatment, private career colleges & a whole lot more...

The Ford government's new bill will scrap business regulations relating to: Toxic chemicals, employment standards, child care caps, safety guidelines in assembly plants, pawnbrokers, food safety testing, water extraction permits, wastewater treatment, private career colleges & a whole lot more...
Open for business: Walkerton 2.0, Lawsuits from cancers due to toxic chemicals, employees getting hurt due to sloppy standards, Children dying due to overcrowded under regulated private home daycare, listeria, E-coli strains, dirty food processing plants, worthless college degrees - (Ford University anyone?) and a whole lot more. This province is not moving forth and improving the lives of its citizens, it's improving the pocket books of those who gain to profit from the lack of food and safety. labor regulations. I suspect unpaid interns will be making a comeback....

What, pray tell, is an "open-for-business planning by-law"? Is this like a dimbulb Ford wording of free enterprise zones and the like? Or is it some scarier kind of 1984ish euphemism?
A quick summary of the new legislation:

The legislation would allow municipal councils to pass what is literally called an "open for business by-law", which would exempt a development from essentially all planning regulations. This development would have to be an employment use, not residential. The by-law would allow the development to ignore all relevant official plan policies, provincial policy statements, zoning by-laws, provincial planning documents, many environmental regulations, and more. It would essentially be an "instant approval" mechanism that would allow a municipality to instantly approve a development regardless of its effects.

While I don't foresee municipalities like Toronto using this very often, if at all, it will likely be implemented in smaller communities around the province, whenever a large employer offers to open in the municipality. It isn't good news.

Something like an amazon warehouse could offer to open up in a small town, but build on greenbelt land, and get approvals in a matter of days. It would be ridiculous.

It is important to note however that it would require a local council to actually pass the by-law. Businesses are not automatically exempt.

From the Star:

Critics charge Tory-dominated financial transparency committee is a ‘kangaroo court’ after former Ontario controller muzzled

Veinot said Lysyk resorted to “personal attacks, disparaging comments about the professional services firm at which I was a partner (Deloitte), and threats” at a Sept. 27, 2016 meeting.
“What I witnessed in that meeting and subsequently documented the next day was but an introduction to what I would witness during the two years I worked for the OPS (Ontario public service),” the former controller wrote.
Lysyk has declined to discuss their relationship.
“You know, I prefer not to,” the auditor general said Wednesday.

Hmm, who is auditing the auditor?

AoD

My attention was recently directed to Bill 57, which recently received Royal Assent. It is one of those wide-ranging omnibus bills that politicians hate in opposition then love when in power. One of the areas relates to the Fire Protection and Prevention Act and, among other things, says that if a contract dispute goes to arbitration, the arbitrator must (gist) take into account the municipality's 'ability to pay'. Firefighter arbitration has closely mirrored police labour arbitration, where they essentially bounce off other awards regardless of size and other factors. A TVO article reported that Deep River has the highest per-capita firefighting costs in the province. I think this is the first time the 'ability to pay' concept has been introduced into public section bargaining, and I think it will be interesting to see evolve since the general attitude has been that governments have an unrestricted ability to pay - us. This may be the low hanging fruit of future public sector labour legislation.

Another thing I noticed was a liberal (no pun intended) use of sections stating that various changes laid out in the Bill and their impact are not subject to review, appeal, civil complaint, etc. by the parties affected. Seems quite arbitrary and I wonder if they would survive a Constitutional challenge.

48266839_2206477482899569_8130225486186938368_n.png

See link, and this link for the data.

With Bill (6)"66", Doug Ford will push Canada down this list by his destroying the Greenbelt.

48266839_2206477482899569_8130225486186938368_n.png

See link, and this link for the data.

With Bill (6)"66", Doug Ford will push Canada down this list by his destroying the Greenbelt.

I tuned into Steve Paikin and the Agenda this week to see Rod Phillips, Minister of Environment, Conservation and Parks waffle through a defense of cutting red tape to make this province competitive. A Ford sycophant, he had some trouble answering Steve's question about how he supported the carbon tax just this year while Brown was still around only to flip when Ford showed up. He made one comment that I find odd and revealing; since taking on this job he had heard a lot about cumulative effect. That's great, but not convincing coming from one responsible for enabling the deregulating that will choose to ignore those effects in favour of jobs, jobs, jobs......... Why does it always have to be either /or for these people ?

Jennifer Keesmaat: When I was Chief Planner in Toronto, Mayor Ford approached staff and asked them to 'look the other way' when a family friend's business was caught dumping toxic chemicals into the river. Staff refused. Yesterday, Doug Ford's government made doing so legal. Beyond the pale.

From link.

Open For Business in a Chinese State kind of way.

Lol, at these fools pretending to be liberal whilst meddling in corporate affairs.

Special shout out to (slightly aside, but they're friends, apparently) Jason "Control Economy" Kenney.

Of course, open markets only mean as much when you're moaning against those who you ideologically oppose.

A pox on all their wannabe Chinese State houses.

Can the real liberals please stand up?...or have all you false liberals in the political sphere been "castrated" by your hunger to power and control.

Pieces of shit.

PS: I want my money back. The money I worked hard for only to see it given to corporations in subsidies and tax relief.

Any real man (and woman, obviously) can stand on his or her own skills and prior work, no bloody handout needed.

Welcome, folks, to the bane of the middle class whose attention these pieces of rubbish all clamour for.

PPS: I'm calling out all the supporters of the false prophecy....you know who you are @BurlOak (still haven't gotten an answer as to whether or not you have ever worked a job worthy of the title, by the way.....you've had a month, plus]:

I hope the ethical weight of these pieces of rubbish weighs on thine souls so hard that the ascendence to Heaven becomes but another broken dream, along the lines of a government "For The People".

Last edited:
Some here may recall, that when the re-stated provincial deficit came out, I took issue w/some things, including what appeared to be low-balling of revenue forecasts.

It appears I am not alone in my concerns, as the provincial financial watchdog has a report out this morning stating that the actual deficit is 1.3B lower than what was stated this fall, largely because of understated revenues.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queens...imed-but-warns-of-huge-future-shortfalls.html

jvsLe-t0_normal.jpg

Wendy Gillis@wendygillis
23 mins ago
BREAKING: Less than a week before Toronto police Supt. Ron Taverner is set to be sworn in as OPP Commissioner, Interim Commissioner Brad Blair has filed a formal request to the Ontario Ombudsman’s Office relating to the process of Taverner's appointment.

The interim commissioner says he is "seeking a review of potential political interference in the OPP Commissioner appointment."

WTF?

ZBbiqdur_normal.jpg

Robert Benzie@robertbenzie
3 mins ago · Toronto
BREAKING: Interim OPP Commissioner Brad Blair alleges Premier Doug Ford's chief of staff demanded the police force "purchase a large camper type vehicle ... modified to specifications the premier's office would provide us" and keep the costs "off the books."

Robert Benzie
@robertbenzie

Interim OPP Commissioner Brad Blair alleges the demand for a customized van for the premier's use included a "sole source" contract with a company recommended by Ford's chief of staff. Blair says allegedly "asking for the monies spent to be hidden from the public record" a no-no.

What is this even?

TorontoStar
@TorontoStar

#Breaking: The province has pulled out of arbitration with the Ontario Medical Association, stating they have “lost confidence” in the organization that represents doctors.

They backed the PC's too.

Last edited:
jvsLe-t0_normal.jpg

Wendy Gillis@wendygillis
23 mins ago
BREAKING: Less than a week before Toronto police Supt. Ron Taverner is set to be sworn in as OPP Commissioner, Interim Commissioner Brad Blair has filed a formal request to the Ontario Ombudsman’s Office relating to the process of Taverner's appointment.

The interim commissioner says he is "seeking a review of potential political interference in the OPP Commissioner appointment."
Brad Blair. Could there be a relationship to Bill Blair, MP?

Back