News   Mar 28, 2024
 187     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 201     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 257     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Helmet laws are laws, Sikh motor cycle community are aware of the risk they take by not wearing a helmet and had stated earlier that they are willing to accept the risks and financial consequences when getting injured in an accident. They have now been exempted and I am sure anyone who thinks they want to be exempted from seatbelt or helmet laws can do so and I am sure if they are willing to accept the financial consequences due to the fact their religion forbids them to wear safety gear..... let them. Which includes hospitalization, physio, etc.. etc.. cause ya know the lord will protect and provide!

It is not only the rider that bears the cost of a catastrophic brain injury; it is the family.

How will it affect the insurance premiums of the rest of the riding community should this result in increased payouts? Any industry attempt to surcharge someone based on a religious compliance would likely run into trouble. It may be private industry but it is regulated by the state which would likely trigger a Charter argument. I can foresee more insurance companies getting out of the motorcycle business.

There are several US states that have helmet exemptions. In some cases, you can be exempt if you carry a certain level of personal liability insurance. I can't recall the amount of the State I was in but it was laughable low, particularly considering US medical costs for services involved in long-term brain injury.

Ford got lucky that's for sure but sorry guys I still don't think the message is getting through. Ford was not a fluke his support is real. His support is not just stupid people. He is not alone. The root of the issue has nothing to do with Ford himself or individual specific mistakes made by the NDP or Liberals. We can all wish he would go away but he is more likely to be emulated than disappear.

The insults and jokes about Ford are funny but I think they mask the deeper unease people feel that Conservative populists have some valid philosophical points not well articulated by themselves and somehow incomprehensible to many left-wing supporters and pundits.

Though re "not just stupid people", maybe the issue is of where we draw the line between "smart" and "stupid". Like, I offered that smug exercise room vs library analogy; but in this day and age, how many people *do* have libraries, or value the same? Maybe the matter is of whether the notion of "smart" is, at least in the eyes of the Ford realm, an arrogant-elite artifice: a conceit of the cultural two-percenters...

Today's announcement, 'For the People'

Beer tax increase that was scheduled for Nov 1 is cancelled! Party! That's 3c in your pocket for every litre of beer you were gonna buy in November.

So for you indulgent folks....you might have upwards of an 6c per day in your pocket or over $1.20 by month's end!

https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2018/10/premier-ford-announces-halt-to-beer-tax-hike.html

Doug Ford is doing this so that the folks in Ontario would be in a drunken stupor and not be able to react to Doug's BIG plans.

drunk-and-passed-out.jpg

From link.

Beer tax increase that was scheduled for Nov 1 is cancelled! Party! That's 3c in your pocket for every litre of beer you were gonna buy in November.

So for you indulgent folks....you might have upwards of an 6c per day in your pocket or over $1.20 by month's end!

https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2018/10/premier-ford-announces-halt-to-beer-tax-hike.html

But looking on the bright side, it won't be enough even to buy a crappy Tim Horton's coffee.

Dammit, I could have used that last night.
3 pubs and a hockey match (I know, highly uncharacteristic of me....I was forced into it) and no savings. The Library Bar at the Royal York Hotel was particularly in need of savings. It's bad when you and your friends go for the bottles of wine when out.
Man, we would have saved a good 1.20$ just last night. Think of what you could do with all that money!

I'm switching to psychedelics full time....alcohol's too expensive and unhealthy. There's no tax on psilocybin!

My parents tell me about being able to buy bread for a quarter and use the leftover pennies to buy candy.

When I was young.....

Man, I remember petrol being 35c a litre.

I remember when pints were a fiver. Most places it's at least 8$ now....minimum.

When I was young.....

Man, I remember petrol being 35c a litre.

I remember when pints were a fiver. Most places it's at least 8$ now....minimum.

I remember when all pints were a proper 20 fluid oz. Many bars are breaking the law and advertising "pints" and serving beer in smaller American sized pints which are 16 oz. $8 to $10 for 16 oz or less of beer is a total rip off! A lot of the big cooperate chains are the worst offenders I've noticed.

It's time the government starts enforcing the Fairness at the Pumps Act

Canada Beer Law States Pints Have To Be 20 Ounces (More Or Less), And Violators Can Be Fined
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/01/17/pint-beer-law-canada_n_14225182.html

How crazy is it that the guy whose brother was an alcoholic mayor and whose family has a history of substance and alcohol abuse keeps giving beer drinkers a break while apparently not being a drinker himself.

Yup, welcome to the hypocrisy and madness that is the war on drugs. It doesn't make sense and the more one tries to rationalise it, the more one's head hurts. Trust me, I've been on "does not compute" in regards to the whole fraud since I was a teen.

I remember the TTC being 15 cents a ticket. But ummmm my PT job paid only $1.50 an hour!

This may have been before my time. I remember .50 child fare.

My Belmonts used to be 7.50 a pack....now they're 17.50+
Incentive to quit? Nah, I just enjoy them more.

How crazy is it that the guy whose brother was an alcoholic mayor and whose family has a history of substance and alcohol abuse keeps giving beer drinkers a break while apparently not being a drinker himself.

Not really since he for years denied his brother had a problem, except for an occasional "pop" in his basement. So the buck a beer is just the "over the counter" Xanax to keep Ford Nation happy!!

Last edited:

Back