News   Apr 23, 2024
 91     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 845     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 288     0 

Premier Doug Ford's Ontario

Doug Ford is entirely focused on Toronto. How does the rest of Ontario feel about it?
While I have no affiliation with any political party I have written the letter below to all our MPP's and will be writing to the federal representatives (for all the good it may do) If anyone feels inclined to write, do it asap.

Dear Member of Provincial Parliament,

Today Premier Ford declared he would invoke the Notwithstanding Clause with regards to Bill 5, because a judge has ruled it breached both candidates and voters rights with regards to the upcoming municipal election and declared that the election is to proceed as originally planned with 47 wards. Using the Notwithstanding clause is a very important step and should not be taken lightly or in haste in any circumstances. While in fact it has been used at the Federal level and in other provinces it has never been used in Ontario.
I am writing to all Members of Provincial Parliament to ask them their views, not their party's views, and stance on the following:
1. Do you believe in the Canadian Constitution, including the right for people to have freedom of expression?
2. Do you believe in the place of our judicial system to impartially determine when laws, rights and freedoms have been impinged/breached/broken? If not, why not?
3. Did you read the Judge's decision with regards to Bill 5 in full? Why or Why Not?
3a. What do you believe to be the most important statements in the decision?
4. Do you believe that the changes to Toronto City Council are required immediately? If yes Why? If no, why not?
5. Do you believe that the changes to Toronto City Council are of such an immediate need that the Notwithstanding clause must be invoked? If yes, why? If yes, why now?
6. If you are a member from outside of Toronto, are you not concerned that the the Government of the day is spending, time, money and focus on the City of Toronto, when there are many other issues that need to be addressed?
I would appreciate a timely response to my email prior to Parliament reconvening on Wednesday.
Regards

I just read about dofo’s plan to enact the notwithstanding clause. Steam is still venting out of my ears. How can we get rid of this creep? What is it with this a-hole family? Why are they hell bent on destroying city hall? I am going to write to all members of the pc party and request they back off. Hopefully the party can control this ugly ogre or maybe they can get him a job with Trump.
We need a big rally at Queens Park. Do not mess with my city!

If the reintroduction of Bill 5 will be a "free vote", are there enough PC MPP's who have the courage to vote against Doug? Or at the very least suffer from a shaving nick, nasty sliver, or stubbed toe, and abstain from voting in the legislature?

He won't be able to use the Notwithstanding Clause for some of the Sex Ed challenges (at the Human Rights Tribunal) because there is no parallel clause in the Ontario Human Rights Code. So, that's something.... But he'll try his might

i think reducing the council seats is something personal... i cant believe that the sex ed thing was anything more than just appealing to his base.

If the reintroduction of Bill 5 will be a "free vote", are there enough PC MPP's who have the courage to vote against Doug? Or at the very least suffer from a shaving nick, nasty sliver, or stubbed toe, and abstain from voting in the legislature?
He didn't say if it's a one-line whip or a two-line whip (and I'm certain he doesn't know the difference).

Even if it's officially a one-line, his cabinet knows this is a loyalty test and will vote accordingly.

Sixrings, I don’t think (hope) ford actually has a “base” per say. He won the nomination by getting the 6% of the vote that Tanya Granic Allen and her cabal of religious homophobes controlled by promising to kill the new sex ed curriculum. Brown, Mulroney and Elliott all supported the new curriculum and I doubt they would have if they sensed a popular rejection of it.

Back