News   Apr 18, 2024
 146     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Post your pictures of Toronto here!

A skiff of snow highlighting a tree grate on.Eastern Ave.
PXL_20210112_214534530.jpg

An H-4!

The most common subway of my youth.

Though, G-Trains were still running then on Line 1; along with Montrealers, H1s, 2s, and 3s (along with the 4s).

The H5s were just starting life when I was equally young!

The seats were comfier back then.

I didn't remember that there were arm rests!

As a kid in the 90s I was lucky enough to experience all the classes except the G-class. The H2 and H4 were my favourite with their wood grain and bold orange and tan cushioned seats.

I wish I started taking photos earlier. I didn’t really start in earnest until 2004.

As a kid in the 90s I was lucky enough to experience all the classes except the G-class. The H2 and H4 were my favourite with their wood grain and bold orange and tan cushioned seats.

I wish I started taking photos earlier. I didn’t really start in earnest until 2004.

H1-H4 all had similar style to my recollection, at least similar seats.

But H1/H2 was blue seating as I recall, while H3/H4 was the orange.

H1-H4 all had similar style to my recollection, at least similar seats.

But H1/H2 was blue seating as I recall, while H3/H4 was the orange.
That’s correct, they were very similar. As a kid I liked noting all the differences between the cars. It was the H1s had dark blue and grey seats while the H2/3/4s had orange and tan seats.

You guys just reminded me that I miss the old streetcars....the sort of weird antique smell that the 504 ones had....it triggers intense nostalgia in me because of my life at the time I first started taking it as well as my mental health issues (related, trust me).

It had a unique smell. Miss them. The new ones just smell like whoever is in there.

You guys just reminded me that I miss the old streetcars....the sort of weird antique smell that the 504 ones had....it triggers intense nostalgia in me because of my life at the time I first started taking it as well as my mental health issues (related, trust me).

It had a unique smell. Miss them. The new ones just smell like whoever is in there.
Oh yes, the smell on the CLRVs. For me it brings back memories of my father taking me to Harbourfront summer camps as a kid during rush hour.

Speaking of nostalgia. The sound of the ALRVs. The loud rumble, the very distinctive traction motor hum on idle or acceleration, and the very loud air release. When I went to high school in the City, I rode around and hung around Queen Street a lot. It really helped to clear my head. The ALRVs were a big part of the streetscape for me.

Hoping not to derail the thread. Here’s a photo I took a few years ago.

Toronto Transit Commission 4243 by Adrian Badaraco, on Flickr

I also miss the old Citytv and Much.

There are probably few (from my era) who will remember the "double-ended" Spadina streetcars of the 1940s
The motorman removed the control lever from the drive-mechanism and took it to the other end of the car for the return trip.
As a child, my father would take me on that ride to a shipyard at the foot of Spadina to see the launchings of Minesweepers during WWII.

Double-ended Spadina streetcar c.1944.jpg

Last edited:
There are probably few (from my era) who will remember the "double-ended" Spadina streetcars of the 1940s
The motorman removed the control lever from the drive-mechanism and took it to the other end of the car for the return trip.
As a child, my father would take me on that ride to a shipyard at the foot of Spadina to see the launchings of Minesweepers during WWII.

View attachment 295240
Do you know when the newer style of streetcar came into service in the 50s ? I was born in '48 and I just remember older style cars with wooden seats if my memory isn't playing tricks on me. I recall my mother walking me ( in a large carriage) from our home area around Greenwood and Gerrard all the way to Eatons and Simpsons on Yonge. We probably took the streetcar home, at least I hope my poor mum did.

Do you know when the newer style of streetcar came into service in the 50s ? I was born in '48 and I just remember older style cars with wooden seats if my memory isn't playing tricks on me. I recall my mother walking me ( in a large carriage) from our home area around Greenwood and Gerrard all the way to Eatons and Simpsons on Yonge. We probably took the streetcar home, at least I hope my poor mum did.

Back