516     0 

Post on TTC running 24/7

W

wyliepoon

Link to article

A good idea that will never leave the station

Adam Radwanski, National Post
Published: Tuesday, April 11, 2006

It's 1:30 a.m. Last call won't be for another half hour; the final stragglers won't leave the bar for the better part of an hour. And the contingent of patrons who have been frantically checking their watches make a sudden dash for the exits, desperate to catch the last train.

Chances are that they're young, live outside downtown, and don't have a ton of spare cash in their pockets -- the ones for whom cabbing their way home isn't an option. They are also the responsible ones.

Perversely, in an era in which drinking and driving is rightly one of the great taboos, Toronto's public transit system tacitly encourages its would-be customers to do just that by shutting down subway service well before bars close. For those who don't want to commit to returning home at a certain time and can't find a designated driver, it's practically an invitation to hop behind the wheel and hope for the best.

Unlike in New York, Chicago and other cities whose subway runs around the clock, ours simply goes to sleep for four-and-a-half hours. It's not just drinkers who are affected: Toronto may not be Manhattan, but drive on the streets at any hour and it's obvious the city never fully shuts down; presumably, overnight workers need to get from Point A to Point B. But that, at least, doesn't cost lives.

The argument against running the TTC 24/7 is what you would expect -- it costs too much. When it briefly considered the idea of extended hours on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, the TTC determined in a 2004 staff report that an insufficient number of passengers would ride the train in the wee hours. "The significant costs involved in extending the hours of subway operation, and the low probability of increased ridership, would result in this service change not meeting the TTC's minimum financial standard," it pronounced.

The research on which this was based was hardly in-depth: The report looked only at the number of passengers on the final trip of the night, ignoring that numbers would likely go up if time constraints were not imposed, and that most passengers presumably don't cut it so close as to grab the very last train leaving the station. But even accepting that the night trains would have to be operated at a deficit is an inadequate argument against doing so.

Anti-drunk-driving commercials, funded either privately or by government, are not commissioned to make money; they're commissioned to save lives. And if the bottom line were the only standard for the TTC, it would not exist. Public transit, in its current form, is not a profit-maker; it's there to serve the greater public good, be it economically or socially.

We're not talking, here, about running a train every 10 minutes; every half-hour would suffice, with skeleton staffs at each station. If it really wanted to cut corners, the TTC could even bypass certain low-volume stations at night. But getting passengers from one end of the city to the other shouldn't be too much to ask.

The McGuinty government recently earkmarked $1.2-billion for public transit. Running subways 24 hours would cost a fraction of that. If Mothers Against Drunk Driving were really an organization committed to getting drunk drivers off the road, as opposed to a collection of quasi-prohibitionists, it would be all over this -- pressuring the province to underwrite what the city can't afford. Since it is not, it falls on those of us who actually go to bars -- and see the cars full of drinkers leaving them -- to do so.

No doubt the subways running latter would attract more people and be a great idea. But this guy makes it sound like there is not overnight service. He forgot the mention the blue night routes.

With the Toronto Act becoming a reality in the next 12 months, we may see bars open much later (thereby exacerbating this problem). I'm not sure if opening up the subway system 24/7 is really the answer, but it could maybe be extended by an hour with some beefed-up blue-line service in conjunction.

I do agree with the view that MADD should be all over this, but sadly they often don't base their views on reality.

Also, it's worth noting that most major subway cities (ie. London, Paris for starters) don't offer 24-hour serivce.

It's not just for people coming home at 2am, it's for people going to work at 5am.

And it's people trying to get to Talk Cinema at 9am on Sunday mornings.

Also, it's worth noting that most major subway cities (ie. London, Paris for starters) don't offer 24-hour serivce.

The Montreal Metro closes at 12:30 (I have been on a last train in Montreal once - the advance lights flash at the front), and compared to Toronto, their 300-series route system is pretty bad (ie running every 30-60 minutes most routes). In Quebec, closing time is 3AM.

Though someone I know in Montreal (for the 42s, this is from J.B.) explains it this way: you leave the clubs in the plateau at 3, go to Schwartz to have something to eat and sober up, and get on the Metro when it starts up again at 5-5:30.

It's probably the same story for the Metro's drivers.

One of the 42s

Will the Toronto Act give the city the power to extend bar hours year-round, or just for special occasions?

I am all for later subway hours--the Blue Night buses, though pretty frequent, are often packed--I remember a Wednesday (!) night last summer when four or five in a row went past Bloor and Spadina that were packed to the gills, and only letting on one or two passengers--leaving many stranded.

The overnight trains in NYC are usually shortened, and only run every 20 minutes or so, but it's something.

If Blue Night routes are so popular, why isn't the TTC expanding service?

If Blue Night routes are so popular, why isn't the TTC expanding service?
They just did.

In 2005 they added the following 3 routes and extended 2 others:
Lawrence ave service added between Don Mills and UofT Scarborough
Sheppard Ave service added between Yonge and Meadowvale
Steeles East service added between Yonge and Middlefield
329 Dufferin extension to Weston Road
309 Finch extension to Woodbine Racetrack

www.toronto.ca/ttc/pdf/bluenight.pdf

It should be noted that the service was expanded to decrease walking distances and NOT because of high ridership. Ridership for all routes in total is about 50000 trips per week.

"Unlike in New York, Chicago and other cities whose subway runs around the clock"

Could he not be bothered to research and just made an assumption, or did he do research and discovered that he couldn't find any other cities and just tossed that in instead?

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm 99.44% sure that New York and Chicago are the only subway systems in the entire world that run 24/7.

Tokyo operates 5am - 12:15am.
Moscow: 6am - 1am
London: 5am - 12:30am (or so)
Berlin: 4am - 1:30am
Paris: 5:30am - 1am
Madrid: 6am - 1:30am
Hong Kong: 6am - 1am

He makes it seem like its just a simple choice, but the TTC has often stated that they require the down time for maintenance. I'm sure things could be sorted out for late service a couple days of the week, but 24/7 would cause issues.

As for Blue Night, service on 320 Yonge has a headway of every 7 minutes on Friday and Saturday nights. Outside Toronto, there aren't many routes that run that frequently during weekday rush hours!

I think a big issue with the Blue Night is sharp peaks. As all the bars and clubs clear out after 2am, there are hundreds or thousands of people looking to board a bus creating some major crowds, but once that's been cleared out bus loads become more appropriate.

The other 42

did they extend the London hours -- that seems a little later than I remember I seem to remember 11 or 12 (at the latest)

The reason for the shutdown is simple. It costs more to operate the subway and very little in the way of passengers -- more efficient to switch to buses for overnight service.

cdl42, your right, and its nuts how other larger cities close earlier than us with their subways.

I wish we did have trains running once every 30mins as it is in nyc late at night, it does help, and helps the intoxicated get home safer, and helps people get to point a and b. it should only be late on weekends (fri, sat) and holidays (but i don't see holidays happening as pay is higher for employees).

Back