News   Sep 26, 2024
 503     0 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 671     0 

Port Credit Village

I guess the Beach might be considered the "edge of Toronto" in some eyes...

Port Credit is quite isolated from the rest of Mississauga, imo, not much different from Malton really.
While on the subject, Malton has always seemed and felt more a part of Etobicoke than Mississauga to me.

"PC isn't disconnected or isolated, but certainly has a different feel than the rest of Mississauga, and you feel it as soon as you go south of the QEW on Hurontario."

Most of the communities between Toronto and Hamilton feel different south of the QE than north. Much different development patterns.

Less to do with geography and more to do with periods of development.

AoD

...and remember, too, that while Oakville and Burlington "grew" from their original cores, Mississauga, in 1968, was essentially a new entity created from suburbanizing Toronto Township. It had no core to speak of--Port Credit and Streetsville were (then) separate municipalities, and acted more like independent enclaves a la pre-1966 Mimico and Weston. (Closest thing to a makeshift "core" was Cooksville.)

And re "periods of development", remember that Burlington and Oakville were quite tentative at allowing its sprawl to leapfrog the QEW before the 70s--but in Toronto Township, it was already quite rampant by the 60s, thanks to developers like Shipp and the overall commuter-friendly proximity to Toronto. So you already had the "sprawl in search of a centre" problem...

adma, good post.

I wonder if for Oakville and Burlington, if Highway 5 is the new QEW. So far, not even in Burlington, has anything spread north of there. Both are all but built-out up to Highway 5 now.

Come to think of it, for the most part, Toronto Township was already built up to Hwy 5 (or on the way there) by the time it became Mississauga. And beyond Hwy 5, Shipp's Applewood developments were already effectively extending up to Burnhamthorpe and W to Cawthra; and further W, Credit Woodlands was sprouting. (Malton is another matter.)

And re Burlington + Oakville: remember that there's now the 407 as a beyond-7 northern frontier--especially in Oakville, where plans are well underway to sprawl N of 7. (Burlington's got less space, and an Escarpment in the way, to boot.)

Back