1.1K     3 
News   Sep 26, 2024
 667     0 

Port Credit Village

A

AlvinofDiaspar

From the Star, condos section:

An undiscovered gem
Fram Building Group transformed a demolished starch factory into vibrant live-work community
Port Credit Village chosen as a finalist for best land-use project by Washington Urban Land Institute
Jul. 8, 2006. 01:00 AM
STEPHEN WEIR
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

When the U.S. research organization Urban Land Institute set out to pick the 10 best land-use projects in North America, Europe and Asia, one of the 21 finalists was the Port Credit Village development on Lake Ontario's north shore.

The Washington-based non-profit association likes how the privately owned Fram Building Group has transformed a demolished starch factory into a lakeside condominium project which, through its design, encourages residents to work at home, walk, ride bikes and use mass transit.

The annual competition is based on the institute's guiding principle that the "achievement of excellence in land use practice should be recognized and rewarded."

Its Awards for Excellence program makes an all-encompassing holistic examination of each nominated project, looking beyond its architectural design.

The criteria include: "leadership, contribution to the community, innovations, public/private partnership, environmental protection and enhancement, response to societal needs and financial success."

The nominating principle has a definite downtown Toronto ring to it, but it is in fact all about Mississauga's undiscovered waterfront. Port Credit Village comprises 167 condo townhouses, 18 live-work residences and three waterfront condominium buildings.

The new community is near the Port Credit River and its namesake yacht club, built on land that was used for more than 100 years by what was known locally as the Starch Works.

Back in the early days of Canada, the St. Lawrence Starch Factory was the major employer in Port Credit (which is now part of Mississauga). Built in 1891 at what is now the foot of Hurontario St., the factory was a large sprawling brick complex where millions of bushels of Ontario corn was crushed and ground into starch and corn syrup.

The massive brick factory was shut down in 1991, and all but the Starch Works office building on Lakeshore Rd. was demolished.

St. Lawrence took the buildings down to ground level, leaving a 6.5-hectare clean slate — well, almost — of land for the family operated Fram Building Group to build a community on.

"When we started digging in 2000, we found they had left the foundations buried. When we were done, the removal there was a pile of concrete as high and as big as our six-storey Regatta condominium," explained Fram president Frank Giannone.

"We took it out, crushed it and used as roadbed. We managed to recycle almost all the concrete we found above and below the ground."

Given a site of virgin waterfront land, Giannone and his architect brother Ralph Giannone could probably have designed and built a wildly profitable megaplex condo that would be high on density and low on sightlines, open space and public access to the water.

But Fram didn't do that and worked with the city to create Port Credit Village, which now includes 1.6 hectares of walking trails, historic monuments, lakeside pavilions, public squares and parkland.

The three small condominium buildings, the grouping of the luxury townhouses, storefront live-work units are built with brick and stones and blend well with the small-town style of Lakeshore Rd., Port Credit's main drag.

Along Lakeshore Rd., there is a block-long, three-storey building with 18 shops on the ground level. All of the businesses have living quarters attached; the commute to work is the time it takes to walk down a flight of stairs. The live-work building has been open for about three years and all 18 condo units are spoken for.

Nearby is the original Starch Works headquarters. It has been restored and now is the headquarters for Fram's international operation.

Within sight of the Frank Giannone's building, you can see three recently completed condominiums, 70 Ports, 80 Ports and the Regatta. All of the buildings are set back from the lake and there is a large public square that plays host almost every weekend to jazz concerts, blues festivals and even a busker festival.

"Here everyone has one common goal — community," says Margaret Dalzell, the past president of one of eight condo associations that controls the project and an owner of a million-dollar, three-storey waterfront townhouse in the development.

"All of our neighbours arrived in at the same time, so no one had to prove anything to be part of the community. We have a newsletter, a book club and walking group to take advantage of the trail and we have regular get-togethers.

``This month we (people living in the townhouses) will be holding a bocce ball party in memory of one of our dearest neighbours who died of cancer."

The brick condo townhouses are built in small blocks. Walking past the units, one can't help but notice that there are no fences, garages or driveways. Cars are parked underground and the garage is actually under the common backyard that links the townhouse blocks. The development eschews fences, as trees and shrubs act as property lines and barriers.

"Everyone tries to walk here," said Dalzell. "Mississauga Transit stops right round the corner. The GO Train is a five-minute walk away, and we have the best lakeside trail in the province. Of course, if you do have drive, the QEW is right over there (pointing north) and Sherway Gardens is a nine-minute drive ... I know, I've have had to do that."

Between the development and the lake, there is a large concrete promenade, wide enough so that the dog walkers, stroller-pushing parents and joggers, don't nip, bang and sneer at each other in passing.

The path, part of the 740-kilometre-long Waterfront Trail, has several pavilions where people can sit down and take in the lake.

A giant iron whistle, grinding stones and steam pipes from the Starch Works are installed along the route with Heritage Mississauga plaques explaining what the preserved machinery was once use.

It took Fram seven years to take the rubble of the Starch Factory and make it into a showcase community. While the site was being prepared and the builder was getting the necessary government approvals, potential buyers were canvassed to see what they wanted in a new home, be it a townhouse or live-work unit.

"We have developed a concept, not just built a building, and that is probably reason in part why we were recognized,'' by the Urban Land Institute, said Giannone.

Although the project is completed, a second phase just north of Port Credit Village is in the works. Fram will build another condo and a second building that will be geared to seniors.

The company is also building communities in Houston, Caledon, Markham and Toronto. There is another similar reclamation project on the go in Collingwood on the site of a long-closed Great Lakes shipbuilding yard (see story on Page P6).

In May, the Urban Land Institute announced its winners — the Fram development wasn't in the top 10.

"Looking at the competition from Europe, Asia and America, we were all proud to be one of just two Canadian companies (The River Project in Toronto was the other) to make the top 21 list," said Frank Giannone.

Not winning didn't take the starch out of the Fram president. Weeks after learning that his company didn't win, organizers for the Urban Land Institute's Award of Excellence, informed Giannone that the Port Credit Village condominium was nominated again for the 2007 awards.

AoD

A good article, about one of the nicest places in the GTA. I would quibble with the headline; it's hardly "undiscovered".

Fram have gone out of their way to do a good job. It's really what urbanism should be about. I look forward to the new phase just north of Lakeshore.

The new development in Port Credit is truly amazing. With the possible exception of downtown Oakville Port Credit has always been by far the nicest part of all of 905, and most certainly the area members on this board would most approve of. When the starch factory was finally demolished and this new area went up the disjointed east and west ends were finally connected (at least on the south side of lakeshore *ahem Pioneer gas station*).

Probably the most amazing aspect of the development are the downtown Toronto prices, in fact depending on what neighbourhood you're talking about the prices for small townhomes often far exceed what one would pay downtown. The demand is incredible, of course backing onto the lake and having the charms of Port Credit within walking distance, as well as a GO station that's right there and easy access to the QEW make this location absolutely ideal... it's still a model that the rest of 905 should be learning from.

I miss living right next to this area. Lets hope that the huge plot of undeveloped land at the corner of Mississauga rd and Lakeshore gets the same treatment, that is Mississauga's last chance to make the most of the waterfront and their last remaining prime land.

The next phase by Fram is really carrying-on with continuing the urban street front, and does it quiet well. I have to admit that the new design of the tower isn't amazing, but the base is outstanding in my opinion.

I'm also amazed at how fast this area is appreciating in value. The live/work units that sold for about 700,000-800,000 at first are now at about 1-1.1 million. At the townhouses with direct views of the lake are asking for upwards of 1.3 million- something you wouldn't expect in Missy.

I love the area but haven't had an opportunity to walk it down there by the lake yet. I have a couple of quibbles with the article, one, they call it the "Port Credit River", whereas anyone from Mississauga knows that its simply the Credit River. Port Credit was named after it, not the other way around. And secondly, they called the street "Ports" where it should be Port Street.

I've always liked Port Credit, I used to live around there, but north of the tracks, in Mineola West. I really miss it! If I lived that close to the Lakeshore line now, I would take the train all the time to Toronto.

I wish it was undiscovered, now that I am back in Canada this was where I was planning to settle, but having spent the past few months looking around, I see there isn't much in my price range :(

I don't know whether I should jump in now while I still can or cross my fingers and hope for a drop in real estate prices...

Globe: Lisa Rochon on Port Credit

From the Globe:

CITYSPACE: PORT CREDIT VILLAGE
A breath of fresh urban air
A lakefront jewel banishes cookie-cutter architecture in favour of exuberant, inviting design, LISA ROCHON writes
LISA ROCHON

This column is about a gem of urbanity that is Canadian made. What was once an abandoned industrial site on the edge of Lake Ontario has been replaced by innovative housing, a dynamic town square and a lush waterfront promenade. Two brothers, one an architect, the other a developer, built to the standards we typically associate with some of the new towns in Denmark and the Netherlands. Except this time the virtues of urbanity have been extolled in Port Credit, Ont., along the fringes of Mississauga.

Port Credit Village has got urban rhythm. You can feel it and groove to it the moment you set eyes on the place. Designed by Giannone Associates Architects and built by Fram Building Group, the new community happily plays around with scale, inviting a bit of disorder into its order, and setting a freestanding restaurant building against a six-storey condominium, which itself sits next to a series of low-rise retail stores. It's the kind of eye-pleasing composition long ago banished by other developments, in which cookie-cutter housing is lined up like sentry guards next to the road.

Drive along Lakeshore Road in Port Credit -- there's little reason to want to get out and walk -- and be confronted by a dog's breakfast of one- and two-storey retailers occasionally interrupted by a decrepit 20-storey apartment tower. A sense of place and urban purpose was once occasioned by the presence of the low-lying brick buildings belonging to St. Lawrence Starch plant, maker of Bee Hive Golden Corn Syrup. But, in the early 1990s, the entire complex was razed to the ground, allegedly to reduce property taxes. Years of wrangling over what to do with the land ensued. At one point, Vancouver architects recommended building a series of high-rise towers to lord over the lake. Angered, the local community organized and, over the next several years, the case went repeatedly before the Ontario Municipal Board.

Fram jumped into the fray and, after hundreds of public consultation meetings, won the trust of the community. This is a standard line doled out on a regular basis by developers and their marketers. But the truth of the matter comes in the exuberance with which Port Credit Village has been designed and the creative licence it has been afforded. At the heart of the town square is a series of grassy waves designed by Baker Turner landscape architects where children can roll around while their parents enjoy a coffee at the restaurant or café, both equipped with outdoor terraces. The retail façades fronting onto Lakeshore Road have been crisply detailed according to urban design guidelines outlined by the architects -- the requirement is for custom awnings and no gaudy neon signage. Further east, 18 narrow storefronts were innovated to provide live-work spaces for craftspeople or small-business owners. Though based on the two-storey template that lines historic Queen Street in Toronto, marketers feared that the concept would never sell -- but since they first went on the market three years ago, the units have more than doubled in value.

Brave design ideas make a place memorable. The formulas are all indistinguishable. For Port Credit Village, a firm of young Toronto architects has delivered its passion for architecture. Giannone Associates was started in 1995 by Ralph Giannone and his partner and wife, Pina Petricone. Both had graduated from the University of Toronto's faculty of architecture and worked for influential urban architects such as Stephen Teeple and Baird Sampson Architects. Their first commission was for the redesign of the College Street institution, Bar Italia -- an assignment that inspired them to push the bar back and expand its public terrace on the street, considered unconventional at the time. In many ways, the firm is best known for its award-winning restaurant interiors for funky Toronto establishments such as Fresh on Queen Street West and, most recently, Il Fornello on Church Street. Designing a new housing development complete with town centre was never in the cards -- except that Ralph Giannone's brother, Frank, heads up Fram and it needed an architect for Port Credit.

"I think the struggle is for architects to gain the ear of developers," says Petricone, who played a role as collaborator and in-studio critic of the Port Credit project while working as a professor at the University of Toronto. "We can ultimately try to at least push very hard, to take more risks."

And push they did. At 80 Port Street, one of the seven-storey condominium buildings, a galvanized aluminum C-channel runs the length of the tower to add robust definition to the polished black concrete block masonry and glass façade. The roof has been lifted in a kinetic gesture from the building and square apertures cut into it make for a dramatic outdoor lounge. Okay, maybe they didn't get the Cor-ten rusting steel they'd hoped to use on some of the façades. But something remarkable was achieved at the Regatta, the six-storey luxury condominium building that sits next to the waterfront. A focus group organized by Fram indicated that people favoured something like Versailles or Casa Loma -- architecture frozen in time and regurgitated without mastication in upscale neighbourhoods throughout North America.

"On that issue, we ignored their advice," says Ralph Giannone. Instead, the architects endeavoured to create a building of brick and stone that looked as though it belonged to the waterfront site. The minimal, horizontal banding of some of Frank Lloyd Wright's early houses is referenced, and there is a pleasing rhythm of cantilevered and recessed balconies to animate the building. Across the street, big cedar-clad roofs define the three-storey townhouses and there is a deft handling of details that people like -- neo-Georgian windows, turrets and dormers -- without becoming overly stiff or reverential.

The City of Mississauga eventually decided to add $2-million to Fram's $1-million contribution to create a stellar waterfront promenade detailed in stone and slate with lush plantings by landscape architect John George Associates.

Port Credit Village was recently named as a 2006 Awards for Excellence finalist for projects in the Americas by the Urban Land Institute. Radio City, a complex in downtown Toronto where two condominiums by Context Development share a site with the National Ballet School, was also recognized.

"I think there's a demand now for more architecture. Even five years ago, architects were given direction and the marketing side of the development industry led a lot of that architecture. For us, we were very fortunate to be included early on in those discussions," Ralph Giannone says. Us, too.

Against all odds, against the banality of its main-street urbanity, something delicious and inviting has been delivered at the edge of Lake Ontario. Planners and developers have taken notice. The architects and developer team are hard at work on the redevelopment of Don Mills shopping centre for Cadillac Fairview. And because both Pina Petricone and Ralph Giannone have family ties in Italy, there is work for them across the Atlantic. In Toronto, the firm is designing a seven-storey condominium as a jewel in Toronto's west end -- such are the kind of commissions, near and far, requiring serious thought about where we most want to live.

AoD

Would have thought they'd mention North Shore as it's protecting the heritage property, bringing life to a parking lot/empty lot and providing a new library/community facility but regardless, Fram has been godlike in the redevelopment here.

Only thing I take issue with in that article is the reference to Port Credit being on the "fringe" of Mississauga. It's at Hurontario Street, which demarcates east and west in Mississauga (therefore it is the centre) and the Lake. I'd hardly call it the fringe. Sure, Mississauga City Centre has the name "centre" in it, but Port Credit is definitely a major part of Mississauga. And its pretty close to downtown too. It's just such a great location and place.

Fringe can merely denote an edge, and Port Credit is certainly Mississauga's best edge. I don't think Ms. Rochon meant to connote anything else with that word.

Maybe she didn't, but I just personally don't like it. Port Credit on the "fringe" of Mississauga? Just doesn't sound right. Makes it sound like its not even IN Mississauga.

See saying Mississaga is on the fringe of Toronto would make more sense, but even there I don't like it. Fringe just sounds like it should mean far away.

Port Credit is quite isolated from the rest of Mississauga, imo, not much different from Malton really.

I've always felt PC connected with its surrondings fairly well. I'd agree that Malton is disconnected, but I'd say someplace like Lakeview is much more isolated than say Lakeview.

I'd agree that Malton is disconnected, but I'd say someplace like Lakeview is much more isolated than say Lakeview.

Huh?

The part of Mississauga that's most disconnected is Meadowvale Village. Quick! Find it by driving along Derry Road (which used to enter the village), or go north on Second Line from Eglinton or Britannia!

PC isn't disconnected or isolated, but certainly has a different feel than the rest of Mississauga, and you feel it as soon as you go south of the QEW on Hurontario.

Back