News   Apr 24, 2024
 381     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 424     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 772     1 

Population of Toronto (Including Census Counts)

Thing is there is a housing shortage.

Like here in Brampton, so many illegal basements with like 8-10 people living in them .

If they removed zoning regulations that protect the suburban built-form and introduce right-to-build laws, I bet you that large portions of Toronto's suburbs will be densified extremely quickly by its immigrant population.

If they removed zoning regulations that protect the suburban built-form and introduce right-to-build laws, I bet you that large portions of Toronto's suburbs will be densified extremely quickly by its immigrant population.
With those laws implemented, Peel Region could easily out-populate Toronto in one decade.

This thread bumps with today’s Ryerson population report.

I know this thought sounds weird in a Toronto population thread but what the heck is going on in the US? In some ways Toronto is a strategic competitor to American Cities but I’m getting a bit worried about the state of affairs in the US because we are also part of the same urban ecosystem in North America. Strong US cities are also important to the future of Toronto.

The US in modern times has been great at internal renewal but there is a fin de siècle air of malaise coming from south of the border.

The link to the report here:

1592001834982.png

1592001851004.png

Even London, Hamilton, Kitchener are making their way onto that list.

There is no doubt that the news south of the border is troubling. It's pretty clear that Toronto needs to re-position itself on the global stage, not merely continental.

A lot of people in American cities find them overpriced and dangerous during to civil unrest and corona issues.

Like I know few people who live in a shoebox condos in American cities rather be in the burbs now.

This thread bumps with today’s Ryerson population report.

I know this thought sounds weird in a Toronto population thread but what the heck is going on in the US? In some ways Toronto is a strategic competitor to American Cities but I’m getting a bit worried about the state of affairs in the US because we are also part of the same urban ecosystem in North America. Strong US cities are also important to the future of Toronto.

The US in modern times has been great at internal renewal but there is a fin de siècle air of malaise coming from south of the border.

The malaise from the south isn't new. Have you just noticed it?

The link to the report here:

Even London, Hamilton, Kitchener are making their way onto that list.

There is no doubt that the news south of the border is troubling. It's pretty clear that Toronto needs to re-position itself on the global stage, not merely continental.

First, that second report is about "central cities"--by comparison, US metropolitan growth tends to be heavily "decentralized". Also, the municipal structures are such that US central cities don't really have the same elbow-room for growth; and there are few amalgamated "megacities" along the lines of what Canada has.

Secondly, it strikes me that the reportage of this report confuses *numerical* growth with *percentage* growth.

But all the same, there *has* been a palpable slowing-down in US growth (that is, when 2% per annum for the Sun Belt is considered "good", it's a real shift downward from old times), and it really goes back some time before Trump, maybe even following the 2008 bust--fewer people having kids, higher death rates and lowered life expectancies, and a less conducive environment for immigration. A statistical trend that the US has so far put a lid on--though I suspect that after the 2020 Census figures come out perhaps in concert with a post-Trump era, there *might* be a lot of "what happened?"stock-taking going on...

Don't forget that increased immigration to Toronto fuels anti-immigrant rhetoric, despite the known fact that immigrants enrich a city. Yes, immigrants from prior generations who despise the more recent immigrants do exist.
I‘m an invisible immigrant, but I’ve never thought that I had any business thinking either way about recent immigrants. As long as they went through the same application, vetting and financial sponsorship process my family did I say being em on. That said, I’m against family reunification immigrants, we want you and you’re kids, not your elderly parents or your otherwise illegible cousins, etc. When we left the UK that’s how we did it, grandparents came to visit of course, but then went home.

Last edited:
Depends in Brampton there are a lot of tensions between Canadian born Punjabis and long time Punjabi residents and Punjabi international students.

Sunrise, I’m more interested in the fundamental data than the political noise that sucks up most of the oxygen. It’s not that US metro regions are not growing, they are. Much of the decline or stagnation in central urban population might be attributable to gentrification associated with greater desirability of urban core locations.

I’m not against suburban land use as many contributors here are; however, what concerns me is that there are economic activities more amenable to urban centres and if the US is stagnating or stratifying there they will become globally uncompetitive at a time when urban growth is surging.

Depends in Brampton there are a lot of tensions between Canadian born Punjabis and long time Punjabi residents and Punjabi international students.
I’ve never understood the inclination to move into an area that’s culturally identical to the one I left. If I was A South Asian who was fluent in English and not reuniting with close relatives the last place I’d move is Brampton. Instead I’d seek out a culturally diverse neighbourhood, a little bit of South Asia, some European, Han Asian, etc.

The same can be said for the other BIG group of immigrants in the GTA, Chinese immigrants. Add in the HK/Mainland divide and political views as well for disagreements.

I’ve never understood the inclination to move into an area that’s culturally identical to the one I left. If I was A South Asian who was fluent in English and not reuniting with close relatives the last place I’d move is Brampton. Instead I’d seek out a culturally diverse neighbourhood, a little bit of South Asia, some European, Han Asian, etc.
The thing is that a lot of immigrants don't have the degree of English fluency that you describe. Being able to get a passable TOEFL doesn't mean being able to communicate effectively in everyday life. Not to mention amenities like ethnic food (both restaurants and raw ingredients), places of worship, and community groups where they can speak their native language. I'd also like to point out that besides the few large enclaves (Markham/China, Brampton/Punjab, Vaughan/Italian&Jewish), most other enclaves are relatively ethnic diverse.

Last edited:
I'd also like to point out that besides the few large enclaves (Markham/China, Brampton/Punjab, Vaughan/Italian&Jewish), most other enclaves are relatively ethnic diverse.
Well yes, that’s why I mentioned Brampton. I can’t imagine moving to Japan, for instance and then seeking out British-born, English white folks. I’d avoid them like the plague so I could learn Japanese, and if single, date the locals.... the best way to learn the lingo.

Back