News   Mar 28, 2024
 971     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 544     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 840     0 

Poll #2: If Toronto bids on the 2024 Olympics, where will it finish?

If Toronto bids on the 2024 Summer Olympic Games, where will it finish?

• Voluntarily withdraws before the vote

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Fourth or worse

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Third

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Second

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Wins the Games

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

animatronic

Member Bio
Reaction score
In the previous poll, a bare majority (51% yes, 42% no) voted in favour of bidding on the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Given that this is a highly competitive process, if Toronto make a bid where do you think we will finish?

The current slate of announced competitors is Paris, Hamburg, Rome and Budapest. Toronto and an American city to be named (probably LA) are expected to join in, as may others. The deadline to announce intentions is September 15th, and the decision will be made in early 2017. Unlike previous bids there is no knockout at the technical stage, so unless they drop out everyone will make it to the final vote.

What say you?

Our chances are very solid. Paris, although it hasn't hosted them for a very long time, has already hosted twice. Rome has also had the games before. Hamburg is a nice city to be sure, and wealthy, but it feels a bit provincial compared to the other ones. Budapest, while gorgeous, would be high risk - Hungary is a small country with a small economy, so I just can't see them pulling it off. The other thing that works against all the European cities is that London hosted the last games, while it's been nearly 20 years since a North American city last hosted, which will be a ridiculously long 28 years in 2024, so it's this continent's turn, not to mention the huge financial incentives for US network TV.

As for a bid from a US city? Well, Boston dramatically exited the race, which makes the US Olympic committee look like a joke in the resulting drama. It's not clear if another city will jump in at the last minute, but the scrambling that's going on already makes them look like even bigger fools. And if LA decides to go for it? It'll be seen as a desperate move, and they've already hosted the games twice. Also, they're not in the eastern time zone.

Given all of that, plus the fantastic success that the Pan Am Games were here, and the memorable, quality bids we've had in the past, if Toronto puts forward a bid anywhere near the strength of our 2008 bid, we're looking very, very strong.

There have never been 3 consecutive summer games outside of Europe.....2o12 London....2016 Rio.....2020 Tokyo....2024 Somewhere in Europe....

Given what most of Europe looks like right now (especially France) I think they should bow out for at least a decade.. For their own sake.

You do have to admit, the not so remote possibility of having a certain Le Pen heading the games would add some je ne sais quoi to the event.

AoD

Last edited:
There have never been 3 consecutive summer games outside of Europe.....2o12 London....2016 Rio.....2020 Tokyo....2024 Somewhere in Europe....

Given how long it's been since North America hosted, I think there is a very good chance that we'll see an exception to that trend this time, unless we shoot ourselves in the foot.

On top of that, there are no elimination rounds this time. The European voting bloc will be split. (This assumes that cities won't strategically drop out to boost preferred rivals)

On top of that, there are no elimination rounds this time. The European voting bloc will be split. (This assumes that cities won't strategically drop out to boost preferred rivals)

I think it still works by elimination (just not at the pre-decision level). It's less how the voting bloc will be split and more how they will position themselves behind the 2 finalist (given any vote for Paris would equate getting knocked out for a decade).

AoD

You do have to admit, the not so remote possibility of having a certain Le Pen heading the games would add some je ne sais quoi to the event.

AoD

Le Pen cannot get elected in France. She can be a gadfly, but not even a kingmaker, as the Left loathes everything about her and her cabal.

And, France is currently growing stronger than Canada, which is in a technical recession, and the northern eurozone seems to be perking along quite nicely, despite Greece's travails.

http://www.focus-economics.com/countries/france

I don't want my adopted country to win the Olympics any more than my native country, but let's try and keep the narrative somewhere near the facts, at least.

I think it still works by elimination (just not at the pre-decision level). It's less how the voting bloc will be split and more how they will position themselves behind the 2 finalist (given any vote for Paris would equate getting knocked out for a decade).

AoD
That's correct. What has changed is no more short list before advancing to the knockout round.

Since when is London not part of Europe? By 2024 it will be 28 years since the last summer Olympics in North America (Atlanta 1996) vs 12 for Europe (London 2012). That's a difference of 16 years (a span of 4 games).

I would have to say second as well, just because it's too close to call. LA has too many problems that I don't see them winning, and Paris is the only real contender here, but we still have a winning chance.

Back