News   Apr 18, 2024
 248     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 360     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Likewise, I don't want to see 'star candidates' who have no history with a party nominated, nor instant members deciding nominees or leaders
I have long felt that one should have to be a member of a party for 3 years prior to a nomination or leadership contest in order to have the right to vote in same.

No carpet bagging, no by-passing or usurping the democratic process of a constituency or a party.

The instant members being able to vote thing really is what sealed the deal for Jagmeet. I wonder how many people actually voted though given that the majority of them were likely PRs.

Here in Scarborough Southwest we had a star candidate in the form of Bill Blair. He knocked out Dan Harris who was actually quite knowledgeable about the riding and cared about it.

Dan actually lived and had family in Scarborough Southwest. I went to school with his cousin Lauren (which is how I met him). He ended up on the board of directors for Variety Village after his time in Ottawa.

He has since left the Board of Directors and moved to Quebec never to return.

The only time I think it’s appropriate to run in a riding that you don’t live in is if you live fairly close by in a neighbouring riding, or if you have connections to the riding via your work, school or volunteering.

I also suspect there are cases with small parties like the Greens where they have to poach someone from another riding because they legitimately can’t find a candidate from the area.
I tend to agree. Especially given that riding boundaries evolve over time as population changes.

I find it more concerning that a lot of police don't live in the communities they serve.

Last edited:
Because the current "Conservative Party" is not right-wing enough?

Same reasons for the old "Reform Party", which was succeeded by the "Canadian Alliance", which later merged with the old "Progressive Conservatives" to become the "Conservative Party". They want a "right-wing" party, the more "right-wing" the better for them.

This issue is odd here. I'm emphatically pro-choice; I do see the problem in terms of limited access in NB, in that the service (abortion) is only offered in 2 urban regions (Moncton, and Bathurst).
The clinic in question is in Fredericton which is about 150km from Moncton.

For an adult, with a car, the distance isn't an unreasonable one to travel for such a service; of course, for a young woman without such, that could prove to be an enormous obstacle.
There are women in Ontario who face far larger distances to access services in remote parts of this province in particular.

If O'Toole or Trudeau want to make a real difference on this file, they should:

1) Fund universal, no-cost contraception.

2) Either allow no-prescription or consider allowing pharmacists to prescribe, so that access to a family doctor is not a barrier to contraception.
This would surely reduce the need for abortion services considerably, a good thing, I would hope, no matter one's politics.

That said, NB should probably fund the service in Fredericton, either in the local hospital or in a clinic; I don't see why that part matters, its access that matters.
Curiously, NB has no abortion services, so far as I'm aware in its largest city, Saint John.

A primer on abortion access across the country; in many provinces, its probably less than one would think:

1627687171368.png

from: https://www.actioncanadashr.org/res...-09-19-access-glance-abortion-services-canada

Very interesting line of questions from the judge in the Meng case........

I just want them to extradite her and be done with it. It's up for Americas courts (which are free and independent) to determine if the accusations are enough to formally prosecute her and if the evidence is enough. That's not our job and it's never been the point of extradition hearings.

I just want them to extradite her and be done with it. It's up for Americas courts (which are free and independent) to determine if the accusations are enough to formally prosecute her and if the evidence is enough. That's not our job and it's never been the point of extradition hearings.

The role of the court in an extradition hearing, under the terms of the treaty, is to ensure that the allegations laid out in the factum ('record of the case') prepared by the US DOJ make out a 'prima facia' (on its face) crime if it were committed in Canada. As you say, proving the case at trial would be up to the US. As the Globe article states. it's a pretty low bar. One would think that the US documents would be air tight, but it seems it's not a lock. Frauds, by their very nature, are clandestine, and often convoluted and subtle, but one would hope a Supreme Court level justice could work through it. My humble opinion, from reading not a whole lot of the case, is that the offence was made out when she withheld or muddied information that would put HBC at risk. Whether the bank had the wherewithal or capacity to protect itself is immaterial for this process. But I 'tain't no lawyer.

Tough position. If the hearing is tossed, the US will be pissed (although likely less so under the current administration). If it goes through, I would expect China to sentence Kovrig the next day and possibly 're-sentence' Spavor. Oh, and say our wheat is the wrong colour.

Back