News   Apr 18, 2024
 328     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2K     4 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Organizations like 350 increasingly seeming to be less about combatting climate change than pushing left leaning economic agendas. Nothing wrong with that. But they should be honest about it.

I say this as someone who actually did grad school work on alternative energy tech. It's time to call out the Climate Change alarmists and Malthusians, like you would the deniers. They aren't helping the cause. Malthusians like Jeff Gibbs, narrator of Planet of the Humans, are the worst. They make people lose hope. But they are perpetuating the long tradition of Western environmentalists seeking to be justify why there should be fewer poor and brown people:

Strongly recommend listening to this podcast that explains everything wrong with Planet of the Humans from Chris Nelder of the Rocky Mountain Institute:

You can read criticisms of Planet of the Humans from the Union of Concerned Scientists here:

Sorry for the mildly off-topic rant. We're actually at the cusp of real technological change that brings down emissions. A lot of our driven by economics. I want to see Trudeau's stimulus and infrastructure policies follow sensible ideas not reactionary alarmism.

Last edited:
Sorry for the mildly off-topic rant. We're actually at the cusp of real technological change that brings down emissions. A lot of our driven by economics. I want to see Trudeau's stimulus and infrastructure policies follow sensible ideas not reactionary alarmism.
Good opportunity to plug the The Coming Disruption of Transport thread to continue this line of discussion:

...and then?

Not quite sure what this refers to, to be honest. But then again, I didn't really know what the hell you were on about when you called me an asshole for daring to apply for EI after being laid off from work so, we'll just have to chalk it up to a misunderstanding as I don't speak your particular code of moral certitude.

Carry on.

Someone introducing a kettle to a pot is a way of highlighting hypocritical statements made.
Telling someone they are partisan and complaining about entitlements while claiming entitlements and making partisan jabs is hypocritical.

Ultimately I don’t thing this WE stuff will stick to Trudeau. It’s really just business as usual. I’m not privy to the world of politics and the industry of political connections but I once new a B level high profile Liberal party guy so I got a window into it.

There is a seamless interconnection between party operatives, politicians, the bureaucracy, charities / non-profits, and think-tanks. It’s total inside ball and protected nepotistic fiefdoms.

There might well be a lot of political hubris, narcissism, naivety, etc. at play, but I'm not really surprised that Morneau might not have known who or how a trip was paid for. People with that amount of money simply don't live like we unwashed masses. They don't wonder where money comes from to pay things, sit down once a month and go over the bills, etc. They don't even see the bills, they have people for that. I dealt with a very wealthy father who's kid got drunk at a private club, drove home and killed somebody. He was livid to later find that the kid had a horrible driving record and the insurance was off the dial. He never saw the offence notices or insurance invoices. It was everybody else's fault.

Federal Court ruling is out declaring that Canada's Safe Third-Party agreement on refugees is unconstitutional.

Big implications if it holds.

Then how would Canada deal with those who fly into the US, taxi to the border, and then walk across?

Asylum claims in Canada continue to rise despite coronavirus travel restrictions

Ultimately I don’t thing this WE stuff will stick to Trudeau. It’s really just business as usual. I’m not privy to the world of politics and the industry of political connections but I once new a B level high profile Liberal party guy so I got a window into it.

There is a seamless interconnection between party operatives, politicians, the bureaucracy, charities / non-profits, and think-tanks. It’s total inside ball and protected nepotistic fiefdoms.

Personally am a bit tired of this sort of 'expected sausage-making behaviour', that it should be normative behaviour from the ruling class, especially from a party that claims to be more just and less nakedly selfish than the Conservatives.

Agree that it's not something that that'll down the Liberals (they already likely have their fallwoman arranged in Bardish Chagger), but I think it'll just be a another bit of gunk on the Liberal image in the back of voters' minds.

But of course, as long as Trudeau continues to stay pretty and confirm liberal narratives (even while implementing the same-old Liberal corporatism), he's still gold in the party's eyes.

Last edited:
Then how would Canada deal with those who fly into the US, taxi to the border, and then walk across?

Asylum claims in Canada continue to rise despite coronavirus travel restrictions

It has the potential to be a real problem.

There are a range of options; it really depends on what this does to the volume of applicants.

It the bump is 1 or 2% that's not a material issue.

But if it doubles (or more) the # of applicants, this could prove to be a real headache.

Of course, should Mr. Biden win in November, perhaps it will be moot; as the Court's indictment of the agreement is based on the actions of the current President.

I would not be surprised to see an appeal, and a request for the stay of the ruling pending said appeal. We shall see.

It’s tough to change the culture because intrinsically the game of politics is connection peddling. Connections and access to connections are the currency and it’s all fuelled by government money and access to government funds.

The guy I knew was a Ontario Liberal Party war room operative. He would move into plumb positions between elections at arms length government bodies like metrolinks or think-tanks or ngo’s all of which survived on government funds. His parents and relatives worked in bureaucracy or think-tanks and foundations all funded by government. It’s a total enclosed ecosystem run on personal and family connections and powered by government money.

It’s tough to change the culture because intrinsically the game of politics is connection peddling. Connections and access to connections are the currency and it’s all fuelled by government money and access to government funds.

The guy I knew was a Ontario Liberal Party war room operative. He would move into plumb positions between elections at arms length government bodies like metrolinks or think-tanks or ngo’s all of which survived on government funds. His parents and relatives worked in bureaucracy or think-tanks and foundations all funded by government. It’s a total enclosed ecosystem run on personal and family connections and powered by government money.
It's no surprise that a lot of the backroom Provincial Liberals from the 2000's jumped over to the federal scene. Their strategy is that the more corrupt they are the more people will support them. Strange concept - but it works for them.

Trudeau will likely extend cerb to christmas to make this scandal go away.

Will say cerb is a huge vote winner for him.

CERB is also allowing people to keep paying their rents.

The real question is, does the country have a contingency plan in place if there is a second wave in 2021?

Back