News   Apr 19, 2024
 495     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 601     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

We need China for cheap textiles and electronics in exchange for Canada's agricultural and resource products. Anything that's strategic (or edible) should be sourced elsewhere. Right now at work we're moving sourcing from China to Taiwan and South Korea due in part to fears of upcoming sanctions against Chinese goods, and in part a crisis of conscience. And all employees are under strict no travel to China or transiting through Hong Kong. I had a trip to Singapore planned in 2019 that was canceled when the two Michaels were kidnapped, as the first flight included transit via Hong Kong.

Cheap textiles surely aren't coming from China anymore. Even China has outsourced that to other countries in South-East Asia and Africa.

The RCMP is look rather slow yet again.

AoD

They always are, just look at the Chretien years.

Chretien armed himself with a soapstone sculpture in 1995 when the RCMP was asleep at the switch. Someone broke into 24 Sussex and came within feet of being able to off the PM and his wife in their own bedroom.

in 1996 the RCMP was again asleep at the switch when the PM walked into a crowd of protesters. He then took matters into his own hands (literally) and strangled one of them when he got in his way.

The RCMP has always been rather aloof when it comes to protecting the PM.

They always are, just look at the Chretien years.

Chretien armed himself with a soapstone sculpture in 1995 when the RCMP was asleep at the switch. Someone broke into 24 Sussex and came within feet of being able to off the PM and his wife in their own bedroom.

in 1996 the RCMP was again asleep at the switch when the PM walked into a crowd of protesters. He then took matters into his own hands (literally) and strangled one of them when he got in his way.

The RCMP has always been rather aloof when it comes to protecting the PM.

Yep, I can't help but recall that episode - hence the "again". Heads need to roll.

AoD

Yep, I can't help but recall that episode - hence the "again". Heads need to roll.

AoD

While I don't disagree; I would point out there have been intruders in the White House too.

The idea of how much security is provided and how effective it can be is really an illusion to a great extent.

Many politicians don't want a security detail outside their bedroom or even in their living quarters or following them around.

I sympathize w/that view.

That's not to say the RCMP shouldn't be excoriated, but on my list of things they ought to excoriated for..............I'm not sure this makes my top 5.

How about the Nova Scotia serial killer.............if you've been following that story, there's some very questionable items about how the RCMP knew this person and may have protected them in the past.

Given the number of dead bodies, that rises to the top of my WTF were they up to..? and How do we avoid a repeat of that?

From there to RCMP members associated w/killing people whom they were asked to check on the wellness of...............

To the # of Mounties lost to gunfire........in part, because of not being vested....

To a Commissioner who doesn't seem to know what Systemic Discrimination even is.............

Sigh.

A very troubled organization.

While I don't disagree; I would point out there have been intruders in the White House too.

The idea of how much security is provided and how effective it can be is really an illusion to a great extent.

Many politicians don't want a security detail outside their bedroom or even in their living quarters or following them around.

I sympathize w/that view.

That's not to say the RCMP shouldn't be excoriated, but on my list of things they ought to excoriated for..............I'm not sure this makes my top 5.

How about the Nova Scotia serial killer.............if you've been following that story, there's some very questionable items about how the RCMP knew this person and may have protected them in the past.

Given the number of dead bodies, that rises to the top of my WTF were they up to..? and How do we avoid a repeat of that?

From there to RCMP members associated w/killing people whom they were asked to check on the wellness of...............

To the # of Mounties lost to gunfire........in part, because of not being vested....

To a Commissioner who doesn't seem to know what Systemic Discrimination even is.............

Sigh.

A very troubled organization.

It's not the occurence that is problematical - it happens - it is the time and degree of penetration. There is really no excuse as to why the individual could literally barge in with a vehicle, exit the disabled vehicle, hide and doesn't get apprehended until pretty much all way into the site. That's nothing to do with not following a Prime Minister around.

Timeline:

Hurren, an active member of the military who serves as a Canadian Ranger, allegedly drove his truck through the pedestrian gate at 1 Sussex Drive at around 6:30 a.m. ET Thursday morning, which stopped working on impact, said RCMP Deputy Commissioner Mike Duheme during a news conference Friday morning.
He then headed toward the ground's greenhouse on foot with what appeared to be a firearm, stopping to hide in a rose garden for three minutes around 6:35 a.m.
Duheme said officers spotted Hurren at 6:43 a.m. and began talking with him two minutes later.

13 minutes.
This is a different. but no less serious kind of issue from their response to the Nova Scotia shooting.

AoD

Last edited:
We don't know all the details of this incident, but I have a fair bit of sympathy for members doing site security and close protection. I have done both in a part time capacity. First of all, it can be astonishingly boring. It can be particularly challenging with public figures who want to balance protection with accessibility. Having worked with public officials, it is a particularly difficult experience when they spontaneously go 'off script' (operational plan) and dive into a crowd or decide to tear off and go meet somebody or visit some place.

The grounds of Rideau Hall is a fairly large park-like setting surrounded by a fence and lots of trees; 24 Sussex is similar but quite a bit smaller. Both are residences. They aren't, and can't be lit up like night football. I don't know if either have electronic perimeter protection; although I suspect they do. It seems in this case, the gate did what it was supposed to do. Once the driver got into the grounds, we don't know how long it took to find him, but they did seem to have him secured at an outbuilding (greenhouse?). Security knew there was no threat to any residents - there weren't any.

Close protection security can, at best, narrow the odds. The not-so-small fortune our neighbours to the south spend on executive protection, and the number of attempted and successful assassinations attest to that.

We like to think or ourselves as a peaceable kingdom. It was up until only a few years ago vehicles could freely access Parliament Hill, and pedestrians can still freely wander the grounds. I don't think we want our political and state officials walled away in a Canadian Kremlin.

BTW, wasn't it Aline Chretien who wielded the soapstone carving?

They aren't, and can't be lit up like night football.

It's not in the dead of night - it's 6:30 am just past summer solstice. Plus that's an issue in visible - not IR. At least the gate seem to have did its' job.

No one is expecting infallibility in a complex, hard to control environment - but this isn't a campaign rally or a walk down the street. It's literally having someone barging through the front gate (not even some side entrance). You'd think that would have solicited a more vigorous response.

AoD

Last edited:
BTW, wasn't it Aline Chretien who wielded the soapstone carving?
If the family was threatened I’d want Sophie in front wielding the fireplace poker, not Justin. There‘s just something that says lack of mettle there, whereas mother bear shan’t be messed with. Now Justin’s Dad, he’d crack your head for sure, just like Chrétien’s Shawinigan Strangle.

IMG_6739.jpg

If the family was threatened I’d want Sophie in front wielding the fireplace poker, not Justin. There‘s just something that says lack of mettle there, whereas mother bear shan’t be messed with. Now Justin’s Dad, he’d crack your head for sure, just like Chrétien’s Shawinigan Strangle.

IMG_6739.jpg

You should ask Patrick Brazeau.

AoD

It's not in the dead of night - it's 6:30 am just past summer solstice. Plus that's an issue in visible - not IR. At least the gate seem to have did its' job.

No one is expecting infallibility in a complex, hard to control environment - but this isn't a campaign rally or a walk down the street.

AoD

Thanks for the clarification on timing. I was mixing some of the challenges of both site and mobile security which might have confused things. I would imagine with no 'principles' on site, security would have been at a lower status; their personal security details would have been with them, leaving only site security.

By the way.............am I only one who finds it perversely amusing that the idiot breaking into the grounds of Rideau Hall drove 2+ days from Winnipeg to get there............and the Prime Minister was in Winnipeg?

For clarity, I'm glad Trudeau et al were not home; and the man was unable to cause harm. But still...............

Back