News   Mar 28, 2024
 194     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 204     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 263     0 

Plans to fill in Allen Road

Agreed. A better idea would be to fix the Eglinton/Allen intersection and provide some sort of connection to Bathurst, either via tunnel or at the least, provide a dedicated ramp for S - E direction of travel.

Decking it over would be a better way to reconnect the neighbourhood rather than rebuilding the entire road to be level with the surrounding area.

While I wouldn't put it past city pols to draft some absurd plans for The Allen, I can also see CP24 misreporting what is actually proposed.

One other thing: if this comes to pass, it'd likely mean the first significant demolition/disfigurement of one of the architect-designed 1978 Spadina Line stations...

Just get rid of it!

- Finally close CFB Downsview
- Align Dufferin north of the 401 with Dufferin to the south
- Add a 401 east to Bathurst St exit
- Cover the Spadina subway in the Allen ditch
- Bring the ditch up to grade
- Build hi-rises at the Subway stations and parks in-between
- The money from the real-estate would likely pay for it all

One other thing: if this comes to pass, it'd likely mean the first significant demolition/disfigurement of one of the architect-designed 1978 Spadina Line stations...

It would be a shame if they messed with Lawrence West. Its glass and orange framed structure is distinctive and quite pleasant to spend time in with its warm choice of materials. It should be made a heritage structure like Yorkdale Station.

If the allen were to be removed, what do you think would happen to the cloverstack at the 401?

Just get rid of it!

- Finally close CFB Downsview
- Align Dufferin north of the 401 with Dufferin to the south
- Add a 401 east to Bathurst St exit
- Cover the Spadina subway in the Allen ditch
- Bring the ditch up to grade
- Build hi-rises at the Subway stations and parks in-between
- The money from the real-estate would likely pay for it all

You mean you'd even get rid of Erickson's Yorkdale station? Idiot

You mean you'd even get rid of Erickson's Yorkdale station? Idiot

The Allen through Yorkdale is at or above grade and it is not until it is well on the way to Lawrence West that it starts to head lower than the surrounding land. Any lowering of the Allen around Yorkdale is going to have issues with the overpasses over the 401, over Yorkdale Rd and over Ranee.

Perhaps the decking could start just north of Lawrence West and continue to where the Allen starts rising to meet Eglinton?

Can't go lower at that point because there will be an underground LRT crossing the path.

Asterix, Yes exactly. In my post I said cover the subway in the ditch. In other words, put the standard concrete cover over the tracks so dirt can be piled on top of the line. I would not reconfigure the subway tracks in any way, so where it is at or above grade nothing changes, including at Yorkdale. Sort of Cut and Cover with the cover delayed 30+ years. Having it exposed north of Lawrence is about right though I would not have any part of the Allen left there. The cloverleaf at the 401 would be simplified, basically just being used for an exit to and from the mall. Unused bridge structures could be removed when the economics of removal versus maintenance dictated.

adma, Idiot is what I feel like when I go south on the Allen at the wrong time of day. Stuck in a half hour queue trying to get onto Eglington with no means of a U turn. Why did I do this?

Why did they build the Allen in the first place? I live on Wilson a block away from it and have used it maybe thrice since moving here, and one of the times it was a parkinglot. Doesn't seem to be any better then Dufferin or Bathurst.

It was originally planned as the Spadina Expressway, expected to connect to Gardiner Expressway and cut through downtown. It was canceled and Allen Road is what remains.

Why did they build the Allen in the first place? I live on Wilson a block away from it and have used it maybe thrice since moving here, and one of the times it was a parkinglot. Doesn't seem to be any better then Dufferin or Bathurst.

Allen Expressway = Sheppard Subway... Cut short for different reasons, but both semi-useless in their current states.

Allen Expressway = Sheppard Subway... Cut short for different reasons, but both semi-useless in their current states.

The only difference is that if both were made useful, one would be a parking lot in downtown dumping thousands of cars on a comparatively limited capacity Victorian grid, while Sheppard would still be moving people as fast as ever from downtown North York to central Scarborough.

Back