Hamilton Pier 8 Redevelopment | 147m | 45s | Cityzen | Omar Gandhi

I really wish they’d build the midrises first… Yknow, the actual community. Simpler construction, bring more of the area to life faster, etc. I don’t mind the tower, but it is gimmicky.
it's also a lot cheaper to build per unit than the midrises will be, which gets them a return on all the up-front infrastructure and land spending they have to do sooner. And it doesn't have retail like the midrises, so they can ensure there is a larger background population in the area before trying to market those retail spaces in the midrises.. Makes sense.

Hi: Great start to this new neighbourhood and fairly well used! Even had time for a quick nap on the lounger on ‘the beach!’ Taken 4 June.
C4D1F283-E0AD-4E89-A239-25EEAF3B9D48.jpeg
76BF34C6-3E9A-45C5-B8A6-ED450F825E2B.jpeg
9ED97C9D-6315-482D-8C8D-FC9B003B0585.jpeg
38E66A69-815C-49EB-8186-F2A5EB66DE46.jpeg
B962DBB3-FFCD-4BD2-B5FE-C64060671D87.jpeg
34BC3E5B-DF81-406E-9065-4ADE247C3D92.jpeg
1D4EF933-220D-4CC4-A3CE-913E23EB3BAA.jpeg
A9808626-24DF-4328-886F-6C0AD48ED81B.jpeg

The presentation from the June 19 meeting is now online: https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/defau...k16-communitymeeting-presentation-Jun2023.pdf
As is the video:

I think they did a good job presenting the changes and reminding project opponents of the minimum unit requirements for the site and the density trade-offs being made with the point tower. They also have moved parking access to a few blocks away from the tower and made the terrace publicly-accessible.

While I do feel there isn't enough retail proposed for the redevelopment especially along the actual north waterfront boardwalk areas, there is retail in many of the blocks planned. I don't know if this has since changed as I recalled a site plan that showed where the ground level retail was that I'm trying to find back, but this image gives some context for the time being

Screenshot_20230726-223457.jpg
Screenshot_20230726-222759.jpg

Last edited:
While I do feel there isn't enough retail proposed for the redevelopment especially along the actual north waterfront boardwalk areas, there is retail in many of the blocks planned. I don't know if this has since changed as I recalled a site plan that showed where the ground level retail was that I'm trying to find back, but this image gives some context for the time being

View attachment 495346View attachment 495344
I think it’s fine because it keeps people on a single corridor that can act as a continuation of James st. I’d agree that more would be nice, but the placement is good enough that it isn’t a big deal. I appreciate this visualization though; really shows how much is coming.

I think it’s fine because it keeps people on a single corridor that can act as a continuation of James st. I’d agree that more would be nice, but the placement is good enough that it isn’t a big deal. I appreciate this visualization though; really shows how much is coming.
My main gripe is the complete lack of space along the north edge. Not even a single cafe space or anything to sit on the patio and watch the bay....

My main gripe is the complete lack of space along the north edge. Not even a single cafe space or anything to sit on the patio and watch the bay....
Yeah I don’t understand that at all. I have a feeling it might change though, even if after this gets built. The park does serve as a decent public space at least to meet this role in part.

Yeah I don’t understand that at all. I have a feeling it might change though, even if after this gets built. The park does serve as a decent public space at least to meet this role in part.

It wont change until the City gets over its suburban obsession / paranoia over residents actually talking to one another.

7,400 sq.ft. of commercial/retail is completely unacceptable for a neighbourhood of this scale.

TBH the City just wants a Waterfront-version of Locke Street..

And if it turns out anything like Locke Street — which is more of an outdoor upscale mall than a functional neighbourhood street — everything will close by 8:00PM.

The only answer here is that the City / Staff aren’t serious about making this a vibrant neighbourhood, but rather somewhere people quietly stroll through after walking over from Bayfront Park where they parked their car, or for wealthy yacht-owners docking overnight.

Essentially, staff want a waterfront Locke Street so it can be posted over all the social medias, claiming a ‘resurgence’ in Hamilton’s ‘former industrial heart’.

It’s a bad development, made worse by the Kuwabara Burnt Cigarette Tower.

Back